Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Accents Sexiest in the World

I'm sure I just told this elsewhere recently. Geordie Hussars arrived Paderborn October 77. A number of lads copped off with local lasses at college, Where English seemed to be a required subject (and Paderborn's German is considered close behind Heidelberg's).

One evening in Uncle Tom's over a beer, a lass recounted how funny Monday morning English was. Teacher would give a sentence, then criticise the pronunciation of the girls. Only the girls. "Zis iss not how ze Englisch day zis."

"Eeh yes Miss, it is, aal the lads we knar tark leyk this, leyk."
Everytime I go on holiday......."eeeehh you sound like Oz of Auf wiedersehen".

I'm sure I just told this elsewhere recently. Geordie Hussars arrived Paderborn October 77. A number of lads copped off with local lasses at college, Where English seemed to be a required subject (and Paderborn's German is considered close behind Heidelberg's).

One evening in Uncle Tom's over a beer, a lass recounted how funny Monday morning English was. Teacher would give a sentence, then criticise the pronunciation of the girls. Only the girls. "Zis iss not how ze Englisch say zis."

"Eeh yes Miss, it is, aal the lads we knar tark leyk this, leyk."
And only a couple of years’ later, the teachers were greeted with “Mornin’ m’dear” : the Armoured Farmers were in town!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Everytime I go on holiday......."eeeehh you sound like Oz of Auf wiedersehen".
I have a history of AufPet close.

It describes how Nail was pushed by his family to audition. He didn't want to, but he went along between jobs. He burst in. "Reet yous bastids, ah've got the car parked on double yellers an ah've nee time fer this sh¡t."

The auditioners looked at one another and said "Oz".

They'd already cast Healey, and he was on the panel. Afterwards, one turned to Healey and said, "Actually, old chap, I didn't understand a bally word he said."

Healey replied, "Neither did I."

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
And only a couple of years’ later, the teachers were greeted with “Mornin’ m’dear” : the Armoured Farmers we’re in town!
Pity the girls left over when there were no more cavalrymen to go out with, and having to date chav cav.

;)

Pity the girls left over when there were no more cavalrymen to go out with, and having to date chav cav.

;)
Obviously the ‘girls left over’, as you so quaintly put it, had greater discernment and were keeping themselves for better things.
Indeed, one of our number married the daughter of Herr Nixdorf - a name with which I am sure you are familiar.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Obviously the ‘girls left over’, as you so quaintly put it, had greater discernment and were keeping themselves for better things.
Indeed, one of our number married the daughter of Herr Nixdorf - a name with which I am sure you are familiar.
Obviously being a year or two behind, your lot met the younger sisters.

;)
Mind, I can see where you’re lot did score, when you consider our predecessors in Barker, Pad Cav, had been there for something like 15 years.
Fresh meat is always more attractive, nicht wahr?

I consider myself to have a mild Scouse accent even though I've spent longer away from the place than I lived there. Even now when speaking to our control room operators in Merseyside, (I'm based in Cumbria) they ask if I've taken a wrong turn, whereas some cheeky bastards I stop with ask if I've stolen the patrol car! :D

Born and bred in Glasgow and come complete with the Rab.c. Nesbitt accent to prove it, however, have lost count of the amount of times I've been asked by Yanks whereabouts in Australia I'm from -WTF?

When I did my basic training for my current job we were based in Manchester. There were officers from all over the country. My oppo from Cumbria was born and raised in South West Scotland (Gretna area) he was asked in the hotel bar what part of Ireland he was from? Which is where he acquired the nickname Paddy which he still gets called after nearly 15 years.

jg505

War Hero
Being ex RAF, I had to 'endure' a number of dets to the good ol' USofA. The best ones being in the non-tourist states.

But as mentioned above, I lost count the amount of times I was asked if I was from Australia......funny enough, the locals didn't like it if I asked them if they were Canadian ;-)

Personally tho, I've always found the soffter female N.Irish and Scottish accents to be the best.

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Why not? Clearly the younger sisters knew a good thing when they saw it, and had learned from the mistakes of their older siblings.
Probably all relieved that the Infanteriekaserne no longer contained infantry, and there was a bit of class in the city at last.

;)
Cav followed by 3 RTR? They’d not notice the difference, being finger banged by someone with horse shit under their fingernails is being finger banged by someone with horse shit under their fingernails. As experiences go, I’d imagine it doesn’t differentiate between cap badges.