Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Accents Sexiest in the World

I thinks Scots just pipped the Yorkshire accent as most trustworthy when it comes to financial things. Our mutual parsimoniousness gulling others into trusting us with their money.

Bloody Fred the Shred destroyed that reputation though

Gordon Brown didn't help either

If I had arrived in the US in my mid 20's with my nice RP accent I could have single handedly doubled the population here. I still have ladies telling me they just "lurve" listening to me speak. The Mrs has even had people at work asking her if she would do the message on their phones...........and she is from Swindon with parents from the Eastend.

==========================================

I worked at First Direct in Leeds for a while when I was at uni. They told us that they did loadsa market research to find the most pleasing British accent in order to make it pleasing ans acceptable to customers. West Yorkshire, they landed in West Yorkshire..............nothing to do with govt backhanders to try and get the unemployment down, oh dearie me no.
True dit:- My mother many years ago went over to the states to visit her sister, A GI bride, while over there in Maryland, she decided to visit new York, now, my old mum, even thought she is a true blue born cockney, is highly educated, and speaks pure oxford English, and so in Macys, asking with the standard English prefix" May I, and a thank you", was surrounded by people, all wanting to hear her speak, and she was invited to partys out for drinks, all on the fact of her perfect speaking voice, and correct use of the queens English. All this was some 40 years ago.

My twopence worth:- My east end cockney accent was quite pronounced when we moved up to the fringes of the black country some 32 years ago, there were not too many Londoners about up here then, and so on site i got some severe piss taking about my accent, and use of cockney slang. The advantage were when out shopping, The shop girls always smiled and asked what part of London i was from, and asked questions. The older women i came into contact with when working in occupied offices or domestic properties seemed fascinated by my accent, and on several occasions, i was invited to stay" For breakfast" i always declined.

Even now, after all these years, and now retired, the local shops i use, the ladies always stop for a chat, and my weekly wibble that is published in the local paper, is written as i speak, and always has a few more earthly phrases or slang words thrown in, the sub editors tell me that my stuff, is enjoyed by many, mostly the older generation who read the paper, as it it entirely different to the local contributions, which are more conservative, correct, and to the point.

My London east end accent is considered funny, different and calming in equal measure, so i am told, and once when working in the heart of the Black country, in Lye, in a really old decrepit metal bashing factory, During the tea break, i was surrounded by the ladys, who when they heard me speak, all said you must visit this place, and that place, not knowing that i lived only a few miles away, they thought i had come up from the smoke to work there.

Our now grown up children, all speak with a black country lilt, but here in the family pile, revert to pure east end cockney lingo, and contrary to that pile of old crap on TV called Eastenders, no, we don't all live in the bloody pub, or involve our neighbours in our private family problems, and as for that monumental prat, Danny dyer, FFS, he is a professional cockney, its all a front, and anybody who is a guest of an East Ender, will never have to put his hand in his pocket when out for a drink. East end hospitality is legendary, as is its language, accents, and dialects, and for those that don't know it, there are 3 distinct dialects in London, cockney is just one, confined to all points east of gardeners corner. ( You wont find petticoat lane market on any AZ of London, its middlesex street) END.

Last edited:
Yom kipper tie.

Understandable, really, as Brummie and various Hebrew/Yiddish words and phrases are almost interchangeable:

Oy vey - as in Aer Kid Oy vey, she's a bosting kid, she is (Our relative Ivy is a wonderful person) -

L'hitraot - Ee reads that Shayskpeer blowk. He's l'itarhot, ee is (He reads Shakespeare. He's a very literate person)

Shavua tov - Moi woife day like me tache and she told me 'shavau tov', so oi thawed oi'd bedder (My wife told me she was not keen on my Movember moustache and demanded that I remove it, and I thought it best to accede to her wishes)

Admo'r- Oi raylee loiked that carvery, so oi wen back to the chef and admo'r (I greatly enjoyed the roast beef, so went to the serving counter and asked for a second helping)

And so on, and so on.

[Some, or all of the above, may have been made up in a vain bid to avoid reading an essay on Clausewitz and Jomini]

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I thinks Scots just pipped the Yorkshire accent as most trustworthy when it comes to financial things. Our mutual parsimoniousness gulling others into trusting us with their money.

Bloody Fred the Shred destroyed that reputation though
Panties off you dish.

964ST

Old-Salt
When I make the occasional „Home return“ to the 4 and twenty virgins, I am often “subjected to prolonged“ questioning on the subject of my accent, „What school did you go too Etc Etc.
The Military can „have the effect of cutting off the less than rough edges“

And that is just my family „Interrogating„ me!! As if it is worth lying FFS!

Yokel

LE
I like female voices with a Scottish lilt, ideally East Coast. I also like Lancashire and Cheshire accents, or Northern Ireland. Being a local Yokel from Devon I do not mind Westcountry accents - if they are soft.

To be honest I am just happy to hear any female voice.

UKRaider

War Hero
I worked at First Direct in Leeds for a while when I was at uni. They told us that they did loadsa market research to find the most pleasing British accent in order to make it pleasing ans acceptable to customers. West Yorkshire, they landed in West Yorkshire..............nothing to do with govt backhanders to try and get the unemployment down, oh dearie me no.
It's not 'nothing', it's 'nowt'.

True dit:- My mother many years ago went over to the states to visit her sister, A GI bride, while over there in Maryland, she decided to visit new York, now, my old mum, even thought she is a true blue born cockney, is highly educated, and speaks pure oxford English, and so in Macys, asking with the standard English prefix" May I, and a thank you", was surrounded by people, all wanting to hear her speak, and she was invited to partys out for drinks, all on the fact of her perfect speaking voice, and correct use of the queens English. All this was some 40 years ago.

My twopence worth:- My east end cockney accent was quite pronounced when we moved up to the fringes of the black country some 32 years ago, there were not too many Londoners about up here then, and so on site i got some severe piss taking about my accent, and use of cockney slang. The advantage were when out shopping, The shop girls always smiled and asked what part of London i was from, and asked questions. The older women i came into contact with when working in occupied offices or domestic properties seemed fascinated by my accent, and on several occasions, i was invited to stay" For breakfast" i always declined.

Even now, after all these years, and now retired, the local shops i use, the ladies always stop for a chat, and my weekly wibble that is published in the local paper, is written as i speak, and always has a few more earthly phrases or slang words thrown in, the sub editors tell me that my stuff, is enjoyed by many, mostly the older generation who read the paper, as it it entirely different to the local contributions, which is more conservative, correct, and to the point.

My London east end accent is considered funny, different and calming in equal measure, so i am told, and once when working in the heart of the Black country, in Lye, in a really old decrepit metal bashing factory, During the tea break, i was surrounded by the ladys, who when they heard me speak, all said you must visit this place, and that place, not knowing that i lived only a few miles away, they thought i had come up from the smoke to work there.

Our now grown up children, all speak with a black country lilt, but here in the family pile, revert to pure east end cockney lingo, and contrary to that pile of old crap on TV called Eastenders, no, we don't all live in the bloody pub, or involve our neighbours in our private family problems, and as for that monumental prat, Danny dyer, FFS, he is a professional cockney, its all a front, and anybody who is a guest of an East Ender, will never have to put his hand in his pocket when out for a drink. East end hospitality is legendary, as is its language, accents, and dialects, and for those that don't know it, there are 3 distinct dialects in London, cockney is just one, confined to all points east of gardeners corner. ( You wont find petticoat lane market on any AZ of London, its middlesex street) END.
Southern jessy.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I had to go to an event in Birmingham , if confused by local dialect I was told to say

I'm too posh to be a northener
I'm too honest to be a southerner
I must be a Brummie.

964ST

Old-Salt
When „You are subjected to Effective Enemy“ Conversation „Birmingham „!!
Immediate response (to disorientate)- With „Clear, Loud, As an order, with Pauses!!

Alreeeeeeeeeeet, Piiiiiiiiiiggggggg!

According to a new Time Out Poll we British have the sexiest accents on the Planet.

Apogies @fantassin ,as in War, Empire, and other things too numerous to mention because I really don't want to hurt your feelings, once again you have come second to John Bull.

The plucky Italians come in third.

But my question is, which British Accent, we got hundreds of the bloody things?

Sunderland. Easy.

Even now, after all these years, and now retired, the local shops i use, the ladies always stop for a chat, and my weekly wibble that is published in the local paper, is written as i speak, and always has a few more earthly phrases or slang words thrown in, the sub editors tell me that my stuff, is enjoyed by many, mostly the older generation who read the paper, as it it entirely different to the local contributions, which is more conservative, correct, and to the point.

You'd have got on with George, the FiL, RIP AB George, HMS Belfast in WW2, bought up in the Cottage Homes - a good man and a hard man, he worked in Dagenham banging out Ford panels. In the late 50's BL made loads of them an offer they coldn't refuse to attract them to Swindon, so they moved. He used to trot off down home from Swindon every so often with the Queen in tow and they would have pie & mash, with likker, go for a wander around the Belfast, and visit family. The MiL (RIP), was an Adams, vaguely related to those nice Adams boys in north London (if you don't know google), very vaguely for those readers from the NCA.

Last edited:

endure

GCM
I've mentioned this before but we called into Charleston to drop off some bananas. Got in a cab to go ashore and the cabbie realised we were Brits from our accents.

We got a full guided tour of all the historical bits of Charleston and he refused to let us pay the fare.

Simple test of an accent.

You're lying on the operating table, the surgeon comes in and greets you.

"Hello, I'm Mr Jones, and I'm going to be your brain surgeon today".

Said in RP - great, crack on.

Said in Scouse - fuck off, you'll steal it while you're in there.

Said in Brummie - you'll be hard pressed to find the brain, off you fuck. (Confession, I'm a Black Country lad - NOT A FUCKING BRUMMIE)

Try it in your preferred accent - you'll soon realise whether you trust it or not...

And try it in full-blown Nigerian. Because that's what you'll probably get...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
"Hoo...where's my fcuking tea hinny "

See sexy.
I'm sure I just told this elsewhere recently. Geordie Hussars arrived Paderborn October 77. A number of lads copped off with local lasses at college, Where English seemed to be a required subject (and Paderborn's German is considered close behind Heidelberg's).

One evening in Uncle Tom's over a beer, a lass recounted how funny Monday morning English was. Teacher would give a sentence, then criticise the pronunciation of the girls. Only the girls. "Zis iss not how ze Englisch say zis."

"Eeh yes Miss, it is, aal the lads we knar tark leyk this, leyk."

Last edited:
I'm sure I just told this elsewhere recently. Geordie Hussars arrived Paderborn October 77. A number of lads copped off with local lasses at college, Where English seemed to be a required subject (and Paderborn's German is considered close behind Heidelberg's).

One evening in Uncle Tom's over a beer, a lass recounted how funny Monday morning English was. Teacher would give a sentence, then criticise the pronunciation of the girls. Only the girls. "Zis iss not how ze Englisch day zis."

"Eeh yes Miss, it is, aal the lads we knar tark leyk this, leyk."
Queen's Award for Exports... :)

Latest Threads