British 72 Pattern Webbing: A Mystery?

Not much info available on '72 Webbing other than it was nylon as in the Bergen's as already stated and the 2nd Pattern Respirator Case!

There was also a 1980 Assault Vest version, which was never really any good!

Attachments

Have a chat with any RM people, they have a set at there stores at CTCRM

They also have a set of all equipment and uniform every issued since WW2

rgs

When I was in the ACF in the early 80's the bottom webbing was made availible to us, our SSI knew someone on the trails team. it had just been rejected and he had a few sets let over.

It was total crap, the straps kept unloosening and pouches dropped off, saying that however it may have been that the lads who had it had no training in putting it together and may have fecked it up

I belive they also made a set in white for RM use on northern flank, and also used down south in 82 by MAWC but might be wrong? Can any RM lads lets us know?

Its a cold war, NBC conscious, relic.
The then current, 58 pattern webbing would have been a nightmare to decontaminate, due to its complex design (many nooks and crannys) and its absorbent nature.
The 72 pattern was both simple, and due to its non-absorbent butyl-nylon construction, far more simple to decontaminate.

As people have stated its not very good.Used by sas only because their was nothing else.Though was some strange officer had a set on telic 3.I say strange as he also had a likeing for running around the palace with a sas bergan :? .He wore it with a set of belt kit .

Yes, '72 pat was an attempt to make '58 pat easier to decon.

The other kit shown above is a load carrying vest, which itself was in a one piece lightweight version one that fastens togther with stiffened pouches and a gay looking integral belt.

Anyone got any of the stuff for sale?

I had a set of 72 Patt which was different. Made from the same nylon as the SAS/Para bergen it had a 58 type yoke a butt pack and tow front pannels. Each of these had a single mag puuch for an SLR Mag and two larger pouches for ammunition link or magazines. ALICE style clips on the pouches.

The two front pannels had a roll pin type belt at the front but only two adjustable straps going round to the butt pack.

Very light, tough, cost me 20 pounds about ten years ago, some filthy sod nicked it. Its the only one I ever saw.

Cardinal

SASS used to have some in the 80s; it is also illustrated in an Osprey book about British military equipment illustrated by Michael Chapell if I remember correctly.

I realise the NBC threat isn't what it was in the 70's/80's, but how does the current 90/95 pat webbing stand in the decontamination stakes? It has the waterproof lining, which looks similar to the '72 stuff in the photos, but surely the nylon (?) weave outer would be a real trap in the same way as the old '58 fabric?

No real reason for asking, just a bit curious.

Had a set of SMG ammo pouches during Granby, the two mag jobbie, which was abit daft since we had a whole four mags!, I only ever saw two pouches the whole time I was a reg.

Tango34_UK said:
General Melchett, as a "collector" of old equipment! Do you have access to any of the 58 pattern smg pouches? I need some information on them?
Do you mean like these? If so they were in fact '44 Patt Webbing not '58
Since the '58 Patt pouch was deep enough you never saw that many!

A few items of '44 Webbing were carried forward. Such as the Bayonet Frog, since '58 Patt had one built into the Ammo Pouch. The Golak and Scabard, and the Aluminum Water Bottle, Cup & Pouch (Later replaced with the Plastic one) and of course the Green SLR Rifle Sling!

Edited to fix picture

Attachments

usmarox said:
I realise the NBC threat isn't what it was in the 70's/80's, but how does the current 90/95 pat webbing stand in the decontamination stakes? It has the waterproof lining, which looks similar to the '72 stuff in the photos, but surely the nylon (?) weave outer would be a real trap in the same way as the old '58 fabric?

No real reason for asking, just a bit curious.
I don't believe you are ever expected to be able to completely decontaminate your kit that is outside your noddy suit anyway, hence the reason that no matter how much fullers earth you chuck on it you still leave it in section one of a CLOPRO system.

Re deconning PLCE

If you are slimed you do what you can with fullers earth, this should allow you to un mask at an "acceptable" level of risk.

If your unit is moved from the dirty zone, you will be moved to a mass personel decon site, where your kit will be soaked in a decontaminate solution.

Remember chem agent breaks down relatively quickly particularly at higher temperatures.

I still have one of the vest thingies. I used to lend it to my sections gunner as you could carry so much linck in it. The last time i saw one was Andy Macnab on the cover of B20. Must dig mine out and Ebay it as having been on B20

BashaBasher said:
Does anyone know about this '72 Pattern' Webbing?, Its a nylon version of the 58 Pattern but never seemed to take off, Rumoured to be used by the SAS.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-13477.html

http://www.combatandsurvival.com/200605.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Load_Carrying_Equipment
'72 pattern was a trial for a new PLCE and never went on general issue and is totally different from the earlier Mk2 '58 pattern butyl set.