Britisches Freikorps

now this has fscinated me for a number of years. the British Free Corps of the Waffen SS during dubya dubya 2. only ever about 50 men strong but some members did fight in the battle for Berlin
there is also an American Free Corps or the George Washington Brigade. if anyone has any good pics of the british or US free corps please tell me where to find . thanks

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=310
http://members.aol.com/sturmpnzr/BFC.html

Attachments

It was actually only 32 strong and it is only alledged that some were in the Battle of Berlin, no proof exists. Of the thirty two the Krauts believed that only 4 were actualy for real (former black shirt traitors), the rest were blagging a free trip out of a POW camp.

If your into this sort of thing look at the French, Indian, Spanish, Muslim, Scandanavian etc volunteers.

The best portrait of the US 'Freicorps' is painted in Slaughter House 5 by Kurt Vonnegut, who as a US POW actually survived the Dresden Firebombing, his unit was approached by the utter loon in charge of the US ‘brigade’ he had a ‘super hero’ costume that he had designed himself. He thought that it would capture the imagination of GI POW’s.

The site you list are built by Nazi apologists so its unlikely you’ll get a balanced view.

thanks. yeah ive read about all the other foreign legions of the SS and army but the british one intrests me the most. thanks for the info

If you want to hear about Brits fighting in Berlin, ask anyone who was in Brooke/Wavell when 1QOHldrs came to visit 1GORDONS before the amalgamation. They had to call out the guard from the Queen's Last Resort to help sort out the bodies afterwards.

Great days...

I remember catching a doco about this lot a couple of years ago, they never manged to muster the minimum number for an operational unit (50 I think).

I had a look at one of those Nazi mong sites which has a page for a dress as a Nazi mong club or living history re-enactors as they like to excuse their waltishness, bet they have more luck than the germans at mustering enough volunteers.

BigT said:
I had a look at one of those Nazi mong sites which has a page for a dress as a Nazi mong club or living history re-enactors as they like to excuse their waltishness, bet they have more luck than the germans at mustering enough volunteers.
Thanks in some part to this man:

One of them was awarded the German Wound Badge.

There are several books about them, all well worth reading.

One of them was originally a memeber of the RAMC!!!!!!

britishairborne said:
Septic one but a cartoon
Not only a cartoon, but a cartoon depicting an imaginary unit.

As part of my schooling in a German comprehensive school we had a concentration camp survivor (political) and a week later a real living and kicking SS officer who after 2 years as a US POW had returned to Germany. The harrowing account of the former camp survivor was one thing but the fanatasiscm still left in the old boy was ever hovering.

As the only English person in a classroom full of Germans and Turks I asked about the 'Britisches Freikorps' and his reply was 'Das war alles Propaganda, die Einheit war schon durch die absurde Idee zum scheitern verurteilt' "It was a propaganda excercise - the unit was lost as soon as someone had the daft idea to form it".

When he went on about the Flemish and the Danish SS soldiers his eyes lit up but the brits and the indians he put aside (thankfuly).

One unit he did mention a lot was the croatian SS and he said words to the effect of that even the German SS were shocked by their ruthlessnes and brutality.

After having served in Bosnia twice (92 & 95) that somehow does not surprise me.

NB - in Germany during the 70s and 80s it was common at some schools to 'invite' survivng people of the 2nd world war as a sort of 'living' history lesson and also to hammer the point home that fascism is a bad thing.

A good idea in my opinion.

britishairborne said:
Tartan_Terrier said:
britishairborne said:
Septic one but a cartoon
Not only a cartoon, but a cartoon depicting an imaginary unit.
Was it all balls then?
Well, yes the 'George Washington Legion' (depicted in the cartoon) was, whereas the British Free Corps was genuine but was probably more of a drain on German resources than anything else.

T_T

Has anyone ever read a commando magazine,one of those old ww2 cartoons well in one of them they had a multi-national ss unit made up of south africans,russians,brits and french. There must of been on of those.

britishairborne said:
Has anyone ever read a commando magazine,one of those old ww2 cartoons well in one of them they had a multi-national ss unit made up of south africans,russians,brits and french. There must of been on of those.
You believe Commando books?

There were both South Africans, Australians, New Zealanders, and perhaps one Ukrainianan, as well as Brits in the BFC.

I believe that the Kurt Eggers Propaganda regiment was the most multi-national regiment though.

See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS-Standarte_Kurt_Eggers

Latest Threads