Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Britian to send Helicopters in support to French against Isil in Africa

As far as I know North Sea oil and gas crew-changes don't involve NH90s. S-92, S-76, AW139 and Dauphin II seem to be the chariots of choice. Although the heli' operators still have EC Super Pumas in inventory they've largely been banned from using them for O&G by the offshore operators.

As far as I'm aware neither Bond, CHC or Bristow even have NH90s on their books.

There are no civil NH90s. There are never likely to be.

It is not even offered on the civil market.

Not sure how much longer the UK will be able to project meanful Power projection for come another SDSR
Substantially more than the Republic of south Ireland.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
There are no civil NH90s. There are never likely to be.

It is not even offered on the civil market.
Hence my wondering at its relevance to a post about civvy Eurocopters falling into the sea...

Hence my wondering at its relevance to a post about civvy Eurocopters falling into the sea...

Their EC225s have done that more than once.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A bit old but there's a more recent thread covering it.

German helicopter fleet 'not fit for Nato'

Painting a civilian helicopter green doesn't turn it into s military utility helicopter

The NH90 has always been a military helicopter right from the original brief.

The fact that customer requirements and specs as well as engineering failures have several undermined its reliabilty and capability does not change that.

why can't The EU send some?

Admittedly, the EU is finding their desire to promote eurocopter appears to have back fired with NH90s being shite.

We can always pull them out at the most inopportune moment should macron be a cock in Brexit negotiations.

Maybe deploy then much vaunted EuroCorps.

Belgian & German NH90s already enroute/in action
German Tiger crashed last summer

It may be British experience in keeping platforms going when hot/high that is of equal value.

Its a bit waarm there....

Mali’s Desert Climate Is the Doom of Armored Vehicles

I read the thread title and thought it was no coincidence that the Lynx have been put out to pasture the other day

Every cloud and all that . . .

Not sure how much longer the UK will be able to project meanful Power projection for come another SDSR

You'd need to define 'meaningful'. However, we still have WAY capability than anyone else in NATO, particularly in terms of naval, AT and ISR capacity (which is why the French and others keep coming to us begging for C-17, Sentinel etc).

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
You'd need to define 'meaningful'. However, we still have WAY capability than anyone else in NATO, particularly in terms of naval, AT and ISR capacity (which is why the French and others keep coming to us begging for C-17, Sentinel etc).

Regards,
MM

I reckon its more grist to the mill for the RAF and anyone that gets involved. Anything that keeps Sentinel in RAF hands for a few more years gets my vote.

"Look how you're using our assets to cosy up to X that might help get a rapprochement on Y - how about a few more shekels or fewer cuts ?"

Explains the 9am Voyager I see leaving Evreux air base (105) every time I am up that way.
Bet they put their own horror bag scoff on though, who would want ours?

NSP

LE
At least he's lending us the Bayeaux tapestry for a while ...
Learnt 2 things about it this morning
1 ) It was actually made in Canterbury
2 ) The arrow in Harald's eye was added in the Victorian era .
Mind you , that was from the BBC , so it's probably lies , distortions and simply private opinions .

RAF: biggest C-17...fleet outside the USAF.

The Indians have more C-17s than us (10) and the RAAF have the same number (8 ).

Regards,
MM

At least he's lending us the Bayeaux tapestry for a while ...
Learnt 2 things about it this morning
1 ) It was actually made in Canterbury
2 ) The arrow in Harald's eye was added in the Victorian era .
Mind you , that was from the BBC , so it's probably lies , distortions and simply private opinions .
I heard that. The BBC is lauding it as a master strike of politics by macron.

I went to Bayeaux a few years back. Didn't bother with the tapestry. Too much recent historical sites and war graves to visit.

Latest Threads