Britannia Club Singapore smashed up...... RAF types say its no longer a fit place

16 Weyhill Close, Wessex Estate, Singapore 5. The SNCO's semi's are still there, you can see them on bing/google, most now have pools in the back gardens.

Gillman Youth Swimming Club, Barracuda. Then we moved down to Sandes Soldiers Home Pool in Wessex Estate once the handover started to happen.

Bourne / Gillman School. Moved to the Dover Road School which became the Singapore International School when it was sold off, we stayed on as part of the deal.

Used to go up to the Sgts Mess in the Naval Base for sunday swims and lunch.

Walked across the bridge that was written about in Virgin Soldiers, "break wind"........if you've read it you'll know. I got pissed for the first time in the newly built Aussie Fosters house over the road from the barracks with a load of Aussie squaddies, at 15.

One of my old mans Cpls was doing duty NCO at the Britannia at around handover time and he was told to feck off for half an hour. During which time some of the concrete benches and tables were dropped into the pool and bags of cement were poured down the bogs. Big problem as the pool was supposedly below sea level and therefore not easily repairable because of hydraulic water pressure.

If you took the lift down to the basement in Changi airport it was the staff canteen and you could get a slap up chinky meal for around S$2 which was about 30p.

Bugis Street at 14, I never knew wimmin had willy's too.

Best posting I ever had as a padbrat. Went to Devizes after that......................sez it all.

THE BRIT CLUB LIVES !!

I was aware that the Brit Club had become the Singapore Armed Forces Senior NCOs Club after the British pull-out, but a decade or so ago, I was saddened to see it boarded up and looking derelict ready to disappear under a major complex to be known as Sun-Tech City.
So the week before last going down Beach Road in a taxi, I was surprised to see a familiar but unexpected building;
SingaporeBritClub3.png

It has survived and is now an up-market club and restaurant for the loadsamoney crowd.
The name of the venue is (would you believe) The NCOs Club.
A far cry from the days when the Tiger Tops flowed and when the Singapore Straits were a lot nearer the back of the club.
Here's a couple of shots of the Brit Club in it's hay-day.
Across the road to the is the old Raffles Hotel building (remember the two-dimensional palm trees?)
I seemed to recall but can't be certain that Beach Road Barracks, just beyond the Brit Club used to house the Joint Service Provost Unit; which would have made them very handy for the frequent fracas in the BC
How close the sea was in those days !
SingaporeBritClub1.png
SingaporeBritClub2.png

'Could have been mine you saw! Had a great R&R there back in the day.
Tut. Officers don't fight - at least not the ones I hung with, JJH.. Sometimes they wax poetical and recite lewd limericks during the stripper's act (esp after a snort or two of corn squeezins') , but they're lovers, not fighters. (Yes, I'm looking straight at you, CPT T***y L****o)

Bare Knuckle Fight Club.JPG

I remember some epic scraps between us and the crew of the Bonhomme Richard....and they kept coming back for more (and more and more). So much so that in the end we all went on the piss together, ending up in the Singapura for breakfast.

THE BRIT CLUB LIVES !!

I was aware that the Brit Club had become the Singapore Armed Forces Senior NCOs Club after the British pull-out, but a decade or so ago, I was saddened to see it boarded up and looking derelict ready to disappear under a major complex to be known as Sun-Tech City.
So the week before last going down Beach Road in a taxi, I was surprised to see a familiar but unexpected building;
View attachment 384664
It has survived and is now an up-market club and restaurant for the loadsamoney crowd.
The name of the venue is (would you believe) The NCOs Club.
A far cry from the days when the Tiger Tops flowed and when the Singapore Straits were a lot nearer the back of the club.
Here's a couple of shots of the Brit Club in it's hay-day.
Across the road to the is the old Raffles Hotel building (remember the two-dimensional palm trees?)
I seemed to recall but can't be certain that Beach Road Barracks, just beyond the Brit Club used to house the Joint Service Provost Unit; which would have made them very handy for the frequent fracas in the BC
How close the sea was in those days !
View attachment 384666 View attachment 384668
Raffles Hotel is being restored and re-opens this year.

You didn't use one of those houses of the red lantern opened and, shall we say, under management exclusively for visiting US military personnel.

Used to see loadsa US personnel off the ship's wandering around. They mainly had to go ashore in uniform, so they used to get changed into civvy's ashore and they would all be clutching a carrier bag containing their uniform clothing - there was the odd one who got so shitfaced in a bar he would forget his carrier bag when he left and have to face a hard time when trying to get back into the Basin at the Naval Base.

Last edited:
Raffles Hotel is being restored and re-opens this year.
Maybe not such a bad thing although the 'historic' Long Bar is such a money spinner that it is open while the refurb is going on.

Probably few visitors realise that the hotel was pretty well re-built in the 1980s and as a result was divided between the Raffles mini-theme park (Long Bar, souvenir shops etc ) and the more exclusive hotel.

You didn't use one of those houses of the red lantern opened, shall we say, under management exclusively for visiting US military personnel.

Used to see loadsa US personnel off the ship's wandering around. They mainly had to go ashore in uniform, so they used to get changed into civvy's ashore and they would all be clutching a carrier bag containing their uniform clothing - there was the odd one who got so shitfaced in a bar he would forget his carrier bag when he left and have to face a hard time when trying to get back into the Basin at the Naval Base.
I know nothing of such establishments. I did have civilian clothes bought in the Danang PX before leaving since my only other clothes were very ratty camouflage uniforms unfit for use outside of the jungle. Remember I had to depend on the USMC supply system for my day-to-day attire. ;-)

Really Fond memories of the Brit club, especially the swimming pool full of drunken US Matelots including Snowdrop bullyboys, who all got a flogging compliments of 5 ghurkha dog company, a coupleof days later, the US fleet sailed for BKK ,to get all his boys in white away from the uncouth tommies!! Have got photos somewhere will dig them out

Really Fond memories of the Brit club, especially the swimming pool full of drunken US Matelots including Snowdrop bullyboys, who all got a flogging compliments of 5 ghurkha dog company, a coupleof days later, the US fleet sailed for BKK ,to get all his boys in white away from the uncouth tommies!! Have got photos somewhere will dig them out
Pics or it didn't happen, etc.

Pics or it didn't happen, etc.
I had a Gurkha related incident in HK, NYE @ Pussy Cats, Wanchai. Got involved in a fight with a bunch of DERR's; a group of Gurkha's jumped in on our side. Started and stopped very quickly like most bar scraps. What's stuck in my mind from that memory was how well the the Gurkha's were attired (blazers and slacks)!

All ghurkas wear Regimental Mufti when going down town,in 1964 when the Singapore riots were at their heights, off duty ghurkhas volunteered as unofficial guards for families,day and nightl, when the fighting was at its worst in Kampong Geylang,the mere sight of ghurkha units wasenough to quiten everyone down.We had a great way of dealing with Drunken DERR,s when they were in Minden, Toss them in the back of the LWB along with a couple of our dogs, a couple of sudden stops on the way backto Muderah to set the dogs off, drop off the wellchewed drunks, then back to kingsley, to hose the blood and snot out of the back of thelwb, load a couple of new dogs, and back to sunny simeons strasse:rmp:

I had a Gurkha related incident in HK, NYE @ Pussy Cats, Wanchai. Got involved in a fight with a bunch of DERR's; a group of Gurkha's jumped in on our side. Started and stopped very quickly like most bar scraps. What's stuck in my mind from that memory was how well the the Gurkha's were attired (blazers and slacks)!
They used to arrive enmasse in Aldershot on a saturday to wander around the shops all dressed in their dark green blazers, grey slacks, white shirt and regtl. tie.

This is what the 2-dimensional palm looks like.

We called them the water palm. The V of leaves down where they join the trunk catches rain water that you can drink in a survival situation...........wouldn't drink it ordinarily though.