Britain's Secret War in Antarctica?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Crash, Dec 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I write the occasional articles for military journals on historical matters (don't worry, I'm not a journo) and I have been researching a bit about how the British exploited Nazi technologies and scientific/engineering personnel at the end of the war. This, regretfully, has exposed me to the fruit-loop end of the internet conspiracy spectrum - NAZI 'anti-gravity' aircraft, 'spectral weapons', 'the Bell' (an alleged fission device) you name it. However I did encounter a few references to German expeditions to Queen Maude Land in Antarctica in c 1938, and alleged resupply of a 'secret undergound base' on the continent by U-boats. An expedition did take place but evidence that there was a permament base there are scant, to say the least. Bundesarchiv have drawn a blank but I found this rather engaging 'interview' with an alleged member of the SAS (who else, of course?) who claims to have taken part in a frankly bizarre mission in Antarctica in late 1945.

Here's the link:

Tin foil hats on/

@ antarctica.greyfalcon.us

/Tin foil hats off

Some parts of the story read well but others are completly bonkers (such as being flown to the Falklands in 1945 - no mean feat 37 years later in 1982) and the 'Polar Men' ripping the throats out of British troops...

Lie back and have a read...but if anyone has any verifiable information on a permanent Nazi presence in Antartica, let me know...even better if anyone had a relative die on 'Active Service' in Antartica in 1945, I'd love to hear about it.

2. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

I don't know much on the subject, but I think the most likely option would be a meteorological station. Weather forecasting had considerable military value.

Wordsmith

3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

4. Regretfully, even OP TABARIN has been hijacked by the 'Hitler-must-be-in-Antarctica-building-UFOs-and-that's-why-British-troops-were-sent-there' bunch of conspiracy theorists.

I have always wondered what conspiracy theoists do as a day job. I bet their jobs are as dull as ditch water...

5. but it would be:

You ghoulish ****.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks for the link. I hadn't thought of the Polar Institute in Cantab.

7. CC - my tongue was firmly in my cheek. Thanks to the link provided above, I enclose the concluding paragrpah about these conspiracy theories:

Our analysis of the abundant scientific literature
    describing conditions in Antarctica and the abundant
    historical literature describing the various expeditions
    suggests that in thewritings of Szabo, Buechner,Bernhart,
    Mattern, Friedrich, Stevens, Farrell, Choron and Robert
    fantasy has ruled and a travesty of history has occurred.
    To those who would like to investigate further, we point
    out that the relevant archives are now open to the public.

It begs the question why people make this stuff up!

C

8. I hadn't considered that; should've read it properly. I'll chill out. No pun intended :)

9. Fantasy Bollocks. Flying to the Falklands then to Antarctica. All before stacker was born as well.

10. been reading that site in the link. is there any tinfoil left in the world. mental

11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

A link to the article would be nice if it goes online. Sounds interesting.

12. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

has anyone asked tropper? he was probably there and can give a first hand account.

• Like Like x 1