Britains not broke - we seem to have money to burn

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Semper_Flexibilis, Feb 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I read this earlier on tonight. I didn't start a thread on it, because it's one of those things that call for the already overworked Outrage Bus.
    The sad thing is I can't see david cameron promising to change anything.
    The phrase 'pissing in the same pot 'is synonymous with all the main politcal parties :(

2. The Outrage Bus's milage allowance has been cut as part of the Act on CO2 innitiative.
  3. I was booking a flight to somewhere uncivilised a year or two ago and the booking agent asked me if I wanted to pay an additional percentage of the fare price towards carbon mitigation or some such balderdash (nearly wrote b ollocks there but remembered that this is not the NAAFI). My responsewas out of my gob before I realised I had said it. Two words and the second one was Off. The booking agent said (wearily) yeah you are the fifth to say that this morning.
  4. Don't burn money.Think of the CO2 that will cause.
  5. And the dioxin it will produce.

6. Ah, the Carbon Offset bollaux!

Dans le travel agents…

Would Sir like to pay an extra £3 to offset the carbon footprint of his holiday? :eek:

You've just booked Sir up for a driving holiday that will mean Sir driving 2,500 miles in his big 4x4… £3 is hardly likely to dent that carbon footprint now, is it? :?

Head office says I have to ask. :oops:
  7. Now the public finally starts to see confirmation that the Climate Change Industry (which represents the biggest single growth sector in recent years) is riddled with the dubious and very likely corrupt.

"the veil of obscurity our Government draws over the astronomical sums it is paying out in support of its religious belief in "climate change".
    is essentially down to the fact that for far too many Climate Change = opportunity to create socio-political change.

So it becomes a political Totem Pole against which no dissent is allowed

At the same time, big, easy money attracts opportunists of all kinds so we have "the bizarre UN scheme known as the Clean Development Mechanism" that should be the stuff of a Conspiracy Theorist novel but it is for real.

"The world's biggest carbon offset market, the Kyoto Protocol's clean development mechanism (CDM), is run by the UN, administered by the World Bank, and is intended to reduce emissions by rewarding developing countries that invest in clean technologies. In fact, evidence is accumulating that it is increasing greenhouse gas emissions behind the guise of promoting sustainable development. The misguided mechanism is handing out billions of dollars to chemical, coal and oil corporations and the developers of destructive dams - in many cases for projects they would have built anyway. "

The road to Hell really is paved with good intentions but the climate change road is also paved with green gold in the shape of taxpayers funds. CO2 reduction? Climate change study?? Help yourself......
  8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I'll pay a fucking carbon loading on my flights when the Airlines pay Tax on their fuel (without passing the cost onto the passengers.) Until then they can Bollox.
  9. Im being green whenever I burn hydrocarbons - trees need CO2 and water (the two main by-products of burning fossil fuels) to live!
  10. Strange this, we're all complaining about the "carbon surcharge" but nobody has said a word about the "kerosene surcharge" that came in when oil prices were astronomical (they've now gone down by 50% or so - don't flame me for not having the correct figures, but oil prices were in the region of $140/barrel) and we're still having to pay - with no opt-out!