Britains Heroes Remembered

One of the bloggers I read from time to time was in London and witnessed Falklands Victory celebration. He has some nice pic's and he includes some interesting commentary.

http://tigerhawk.blogspot.com/2007/06/united-kingdom-honors-its-heroes.html

Were this an American parade, the crowd would have cheered and clapped the passing veterans. Not here. The people watched the veterans march by very quietly. My first thought was that the British had indeed lost their pride in their military as is occasionally rumored on right-wing blogs. Then I looked into the faces of the people around me and saw only respect and admiration and pride. The British honor their heroes differently than Americans, but honor them they do.

Also ...

This reminds me that after the Sheffield sinking in May 1982 I sent a letter to Margaret Thatcher, addressed to 10 Downing Street, offering my best wishes and encouraging her to "send those Argie bastards to their watery graves," more or less. Some weeks later I did receive a reply back from one of her deputies on the most imperial stationary I had ever seen: "The Prime Minister appreciates your support."

I told this story to a taxi driver this afternoon, and suggested that the Argentinians had picked the wrong prime minister. His answer, "they picked the wrong country, mate."
Amen to that.

I attended the parade on Sunday. It was a moving tribute to all the guys. The pub's along Whitehall were packed with veterans who all seemed to be enjoying themselves. Well done the lads!!!!.

Unfortunately I could not get to London to pay my respects and had to content myself with saluting those guys in front of my television.

Being a terminal cynic I thought that it was good that this government had allowed such an event to occur to deflect the public mind to remember a war we had popular support for in order to take our minds off two current conflicts they would rather the public forget!

While the public remember that conflict with pride for what it achieved, they are leaving alone those responsible for this one!

ugly

LE
Why were some gunners (I assume) wearing belts in No2s and others not?

Ventress

LE
Great parade, from what I saw from my armchair. Remembering mates who were lost and injured on RFA Galahad.

Touching song by the daughter of our 2IC, Roger Nutbeem RAMC. A great officer, who lead by example.

Ventress said:
Great parade, from what I saw from my armchair. Remembering mates who were lost and injured on RFA Galahad.

Touching song by the daughter of our 2IC, Roger Nutbeem RAMC. A great officer, who lead by example.
Totally agree Ventress,
She has a beautiful voice &,hearing her sing that tune in honour of her father,the proud look in her eye's bought a tear to ones own eye's.Considering she was 5 when he was taken I'd say she has done his memory proud.

Latest Threads