Britain's Greatest General - National Army Museum Vote

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by sillymajor, Jan 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you think Marlborough is mightier than Monty or Slim surpasses Wellington, here's the chance to have your say.

The National Army Museum is conducting its first-ever poll to find out who is Britain’s greatest general. We have selected 20 of the nation's all-time greatest military leaders and now it's your turn to decide who comes out on top.

This online exhibition provides you with some essential facts about the figures in our 20-man shortlist, featuring quotes, portraits and brief biographies.

Once you have picked your favourite general, you can use the button on their biography page to register your vote. You can also keep track of the online voting by visiting our live leaderboard.

The top five generals, voted for by you, will determine the five talks given by celebrity speakers at our Britain’s Greatest General event on Saturday 9 April 2011. The voting at this event, combined with the online poll results, will decide the outright winner.

Britain's Greatest General | Online Exhibitions | National Army Museum

Happy voting!
  2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Bill Slim all day and twice on Sundays!
  3. Who the **** were the two planks who voted Haig?
  4. Voted for Bill Slim, but Allenby could be an interesting choice...
  5. Sir John Moore of course.
  6. Jan Smuts? Should he be on the list? He was a bit Surth Efrikan, wasn't he? Hardly 'Britains greatest general'-He started his career fighting us in the Boer War!
    If you're going to open it up that widely, you might as well include Constantine the Great! He became Emperor whilst in Britain, even if he was born in the Balkans.
  7. I also found the inclusion of Smuts somewhat puzzling - more of a statesman really. And I agree about Constantine. Wasn't he in the Royal Scots?
  8. Some people have also voted for Monty!

Surely Wellington and/or Billy Slim.
  9. Well the outcome of the vote is fairly predictable : Wellington or Montgomery...
  10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

One of our greatest Generals is not even on the list - Allenbrooke. IMHO. (Even if he was a Gunner :) )
  11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

....or Marlborough.....or Slim.....or Haig (yes he was one of the great generals).

But the competition is to find the 5 greatest generals to be the subject of 5 talks, so I don't know if they will list the 'winners' in order of votes.
  12. I was hoping my crass lack of attention towards the competition rules would go unnoticed. Thanks Auld-Yin.
  13. Sorry, much as I admire Bill Slim, it's got to be Nosey.
  14. Still Wellington by the the fact he beat the Cheese eating surrender monkeys, many times. He also gave us the best ever £5 note design ever! By beating Boney he allowed us to keep out of Europe for nearly 100 years allowing us plenty of time to sail around the world nicking other people countries! Hooray!!
  15. Well, Slim's currently on 22 votes against Sir John Moore and Cromwell in joint second with 8...