Britains defence budget falls behind France and China

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by daviroo, Mar 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Haven't seen a thread about this on arrse yet but did want to bring it to peoples attention that according to recently released figures Britain has dropped behind France in the list of countries sorted by defence budget.
    see here (I know some people don't like wikipedia but sources are used to back up the facts on the article)

Also China have just announced a huge rise in defence spending, with Washington claiming that China spends three times its officially declared budget which would put the figure in the $100 billion region.
    see here

We are also ranked 28th in the list of countries sorted by number of active service personnel, which when compared with how many operations we are undertaking seems to be seriously lacking.
    see here

So we are under-funded, under-equiped, under-manned and under water in a few years according to scientists preaching global warming. Is this country really as f**ked as the statistics make out? And can we blame labour for global warming? :twisted:
  2. The way labour runs the country Andorra will soon have a bigger defence budget than us.
  3. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I would take those comparative figures with a pinch of salt as there is not a common definition of what military spending actually entails, pensions, civil defence etc. Its very difficult to compare
  4. Mate Cmon even i know Labour screwing us around! They cutting away half our Navy, thinking of scrapping 80 Eurofighters and other cuts in the Army etc... theirs nothing to it theyve fcuked our Military!

Im just scared what lies for me when i join up in the near future with shaddy euqipment!
  5. meridian

Dont disagree that more is needed just sounding a note of caution about comparisons thats all
  6. Was just watching a programme on BBC one asking the question "Is there life on other planets?" and I found myself wondering why they bother looking through telescopes when there are people living on other planets in our own house of commons. :p
  7. As an example, I've read that France's nuclear deterrent, 100% independent designed and built by them, costs twice as much as Trident, but isn't classed as military spending: apparently they've got some sort of fund for national projects, both military and non military. (OT but there was a poll amongst French people showing 95% approval for the nuclear deterrent being all French. Wonder what support would be like in this country with many against the cost of Trident?)
  8. France's military budget is also squewed, I believe, by the inclusion of the Gendarmerie?
  9. That's a very good point. PRC includes outfits like the People's Armed Police and Border Guards in its military spending. Also, bare figures aren't particularly helpful in comparing a couple of million men guarding a massive border around 1.3Bn souls to a rain-soaked island with a population of around 60m. % of GDP or spend per head of population/armed forces personnel would be better methods of comparison.
  10. meridian

Military spending comparisons are as difficult to get your head around as military acquisition contracts, so many variables and definitions of what is military and what is not.

NATO does a fair stab at creating a standardised unit of measurement and we have discussed this on another thread, but of course only for NATO
  11. This is correct. Many continental 'police' units are military formations. Imagine what our Plod could with helicopters armed with TOW missiles.
  12. Carry out a H&S assessment and then put them away because they exceed 'reasonable force' and might involve some serious form-filling if fired :D
  13. and the Paris Fire Brigade
  14. and the Paris Fire Brigade

pressed wrong button on one above, hangs head in shame.