Britain's completely underrated role in WWII

Last edited:
Wow. That's taking vengeance to the extreme.
Haha. Thanks for the correction! Of course, the Special Projectiles Operations Group fired 3 or possibly 5 into the North Sea from the Ministry of Supply Establishment Cuxhaven between 1 - 15 October 1945, under Operation BACKFIRE. Launched by German military personnel, too.
1553498086325.png

This was taken on 10 October 1945.

And here's a copy of a German document seized at the end of the War in Oberamergau - and turned up in NASA archives. Top graph depicts the range of the A9 winged missile (there was one very successful launch in January 1945) . The bottom image shows the theoretical range of a two-stage rocket, (carrying the winged A9) that could have crossed the Atlantic. Both would have carried a nominal 1 ton/tonne warhead. Hardly worth the effort but that wasn't the point...

1553498421747.png

And here's a copy of a German document seized at the end of the War in Oberamergau - and turned up in NASA archives. Top graph depicts the range of the A9 winged missile (there was one very successful launch in January 1945) . The bottom image shows the theoretical range of a two-stage rocket, (carrying the winged A9) that could have crossed the Atlantic. Both would have carried a nominal 1 ton/tonne warhead. Hardly worth the effort but that wasn't the point...

View attachment 384408
But the A9 would have reached Glasgow, so not all was lost...

People who attack the bombing campaign go on about the indiscriminate deaths it caused (Dresden) and that the war was nearly over. Although I know about the V weapons use, and until recently I thought most were targeting London, they were the most indiscriminate of all. If it wasn't for the Int work and deception campaign the death toll from them would have been much higher.

This Wiki entry sums it up quite nicely.

Commonwealth forces (United Kingdom, Colonial, Imperial and Dominion), totaling close to 15 million serving men and women, fought the German, Italian, Japanese and other Axis armies, air forces and navies across Europe, Africa, Asia, and in the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic, Indian, Pacific and Arctic Oceans. Commonwealth forces fought in Britain, and across Northwestern Europe in the effort to slow or stop the Axis advance.

Commonwealth airforces fought the Luftwaffe to a standstill over Britain, and its armies fought and destroyed Italian forces in North and East Africa and occupied several overseas colonies of German-occupied European nations. Following successful engagements against Axis forces,

Commonwealth troops invaded and occupied Libya, Italian Somaliland, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Iceland, the Faroe Islands, and Madagascar.[4]

The Commonwealth defeated, held back or slowed the Axis powers for three years while mobilizing their globally integrated economy, military, and industrial infrastructure to build what became, by 1942, the most extensive military apparatus of the war. These efforts came at the cost of 150,000 military deaths, 400,000 wounded, 100,000 prisoners, over 300,000 civilian deaths, and the loss of 70 major warships, 39 submarines, 3,500 aircraft, 1,100 tanks and 65,000 vehicles.

Link to Wiki Page Here
1553523241979.png

As I said the UK was suing massed rocketry for AA work from the start of the war. I'm planning a big post on rockets when I get a spare bloody minute so we can all discuss this without CTD yelling at us.
It is an interesting subject imo. Who knew the 3" rockets which were so good against ground targets when fired by Typhoons et al, started life as AA weapons and were tried in a ground to ground role between that.

ugly

LE
It is an interesting subject imo. Who knew the 3" rockets which were so good against ground targets when fired by Typhoons et al, started life as AA weapons and were tried in a ground to ground role between that.
Part way through a kindle edition of the Canadians in Op Veritable, Mattress was the codename I believe.

Well I've been amassing sources for a future book. But its a good two-three years away. so no holding of breath!

Part way through a kindle edition of the Canadians in Op Veritable, Mattress was the codename I believe.
Little bit more to it than that.
Lets put it this was we were looking at deploying massed AA rockets to France in 1940 to protect airfields. Landmatress was quite a bit further along the evolutionary tree.

ugly

LE
Well I've been amassing sources for a future book. But its a good two-three years away. so no holding of breath!

Little bit more to it than that.
Lets put it this was we were looking at deploying massed AA rockets to France in 1940 to protect airfields. Landmatress was quite a bit further along the evolutionary tree.
I didn't say otherwise did I? I just quoted the codename used in a took about fighting in 1945!

Or, if mounted on a Firefly

Tulip.....

ugly

LE
Now the book didn't describe the vehicles used. I got the impression is was lorries for some reason

People who attack the bombing campaign go on about the indiscriminate deaths it caused (Dresden) and that the war was nearly over. Although I know about the V weapons use, and until recently I thought most were targeting London, they were the most indiscriminate of all. If it wasn't for the Int work and deception campaign the death toll from them would have been much higher.
According to MI5 records (taken from the Ministry of Home Security) about 1300 additional deaths and up to 10,000 injured would have occurred if the deception and disinformation plan hadn’t resulted in Kammler (who was directing the campaign against Britain) walk the MPI away from Charing Cross. This was done by feeding reports to the Abwehr via turned agents and strict domestic press censorship.