Britains Bloodiest Post-World War II Battle: YouTube

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Andy_S, Apr 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

On St Georges Day, 1951, 29th Infantry Brigade was locked in what remains the bloodiest battle fought by British troops since World War II.

In the words and images of the men who were there, this is the Battle of the Imjin River:
  2. Shabash.

Message ends.
  3. Never knew that Speakman VC was from Cheshire.
    I always thought he was a Jock.
  4. Aye John, the Big Man's from Altrincham Cheshire - there's a photo somewhere on the web of Bill in his KOSB uniform standing outside Buckingham Palace with the Mayor of that town immediately after his investiture.
  5. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Interesting that Speakman does not discuss hurling beer bottles at the enemy - around which a legend has grown.

Clearly though, a remarkable situation: Over-run, by a mass enemy at pub-fight range at night...and not only does he not run away ("tactical withdrawal") or hide out ("take cover") he personally counterattacks with grenade, bayonet and rifle butt.

Being overrun in Korea by enemy mass was not uncommon: For a single private soldier to charge back into the ruck and (temporarily) turn the tide was very uncommon. Amazing man, amazing that he survived.
  6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Max Hastings wrote a very good book about Korea icluding Bill Speakmans action

It's always been one of my favorite V.C. winning stories

IIRC Hastings described him as a hard man with a fearsome temper and disaplinery record

During the battle he walked into the HQ tent and picked up some boxes of grenades
    When asked by a Sgt what the fukc he was doing
    He said he was off to get the chinks off the hill

I saw another interview with him in which he stated that in the end he had to go and see his C.O. and request to be allowed to soldier on in peace as he was constantly being requested to open supermarkets and stuff

He sold his medal to pay for house repairs and support his family which goes to show that there's always been a struggle for Britains service men

Interveiw here
  7. I'm reading a very good book about Imjin battle called To the Last Round....its well worth a look.
  8. Gen. Sir Anthony Farrar-Hockley wrote a very good book detailing his experience at Imjin with the Glosters; an adjutant at the time, he went forward to assist A coy, and when they withdrew after running out of ammunition he was captured. He goes on to describe his experience as a prisoner of the Chinese. An inspiring man (who incidentally made sergeant by 17) and well worth reading.
  9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

IIRC he ordered the Bugler to play everrything but retreat in responce to the Chinese bugles