• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Britain's Biggest Warship - 3 Part TV Series

What a good program we had tonight, I am already looking forward to the last one.. At last the answer to the propulsion controversy and some drunken sailors doing what they do best as they come aboard after a night out. I thoroughly enjoyed that.
Agreed. Finally a TV programme which looks at the real reason for our armed forces and who served in them without turning one into a 'loser' by using sneaky editing.

A very good programme and one the navy should be proud of. Problem noted, found, analysed and fixed - lots of happy engineers. The EWO seems to be setting himself up as the Ship's Character. Still, not as if he had anything else to do! :cool:

Looking forward to the final part, and maybe another programme once the ship is a few years old.
Dave G (the EWO) has always been like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
You must be easily pleased, the Navy to me looks absolutely soul destroying, it must be the worst recruiting ad it has had since Barham decided to make itself a permanent part of the med sea bed.

When that guy talked about being a "bit of a naughty boy" i expected him to perhaps have a run in with plod as a teenager but when he spilt the beans about his forty odd convictions and his various prisons i nearly spat my tea out he had a record that was longer than a bog roll.

If the Navy is now recruiting hardened adult criminals it tells us just how bad the recruiting problem is. It might work out for this guy he might have turned another leaf but sooner or later the chickens are going to come home to roost.
The piss stain old farts club - it was better in my day. All fields around here.....

Seeing as he is in the RN and thus has a Security Clearance (Secret) someone was happy with his explanation of the convictions.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Dave G (the EWO) has always been like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As he will tell you, he's had his rock and roll years - all good now and the absoute model CPO(CIS) and don't worry Sir I've got you back and will not ever get drunk again - ever. Honest boss.

He and Moffs were a right pair in Bulwark.

The piss stain old farts club - it was better in my day. All fields around here.....
Don't mention the Leanders. I bet that propeller blade was displaced due to being entangled in vast numbers of used tampons ditched over the side because the gash incinerator went belly up.

Wouldn't have happened in my day etc etc. Leanders. Steaming boots that dissolved in salt water. All gash ditched straight over the side, including raw sewage, nuclear waste from the reactor and dead bodies. The Isle of Wight Marina still wont let RN ships visit.

Although not as familiar with marine mammal genitalia as @Guns, I always feel sorry for the submariners who, despite some seriously crunchy op work, always seem to miss out on the gongs.

To my mind, there should have been a GSM 62 Clasp 'HM Submarines' or similar for the Cold War SSBN and especially SSN/SSK chaps at least (and yes I know they get dolphins).

Regards,
MM
Yep, 23 years and one gong - and that's for being a goody two shoes not getting caught! Went several places which later became 'hot spots' but we were obviously there before any qualifying criteria. Not even a sodding lucky dip Jubilee Medal!

But I have my kissing kippers!

With regards to the WAFU with the long list of convictions, he had not offended for over 10 years before applying so why not, times and attitudes are different.

Surprised the QE does not have a multi faith prayer room, maybe they do but our spoiler of food prefers an unused mess.

Any way another informative episode.

PS Hate to think of the amount of gash I have ditched at sea over the years.

PPS I dont recall seeing that many officers when it came to storing ship, they all seemed to have important paper work or clip boards to look at.

PPS I dont recall seeing that many officers when it came to storing ship, they all seemed to have important paper work or clip boards to look at.
I get the impression this Captain won’t stand for that. When something needs doing, it better get done.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I get the impression this Captain won’t stand for that. When something needs doing, it better get done.
Indeed! When the Commanders turn out it is harder for the Lt Cdrs/Lts/Sub-Lt and Mids to hide!

Indeed! When the Commanders turn out it is harder for the Lt Cdrs/Lts/Sub-Lt and Mids to hide!
In my two years of leading that kind of stuff, it wasn't Officers I never saw, it was the "old and bold" SRs and "senior" LHs who were nowhere to be seen...

Don't mention the Leanders. I bet that propeller blade was displaced due to being entangled in vast numbers of used tampons ditched over the side because the gash incinerator went belly up.

Wouldn't have happened in my day etc etc. Leanders. Steaming boots that dissolved in salt water. All gash ditched straight over the side, including raw sewage, nuclear waste from the reactor and dead bodies. The Isle of Wight Marina still wont let RN ships visit.
[DRIFT]

I must have this wrong, but . . .

I would have thought anything "organic" could/should go over the side, including raw sewage. All marine life produce their own, including the pretty dolphins!

In its various stages of decomposition, food/galley (kitchen) waste - and, the dead bodies - will all provide food for the varied types of marine life.

A lot of the trash to be "reduced to carbon dust" (incinerated), seemed to be cardboard boxes. Basically reconfigured trees, plant life. I can not imagine what damage that will cause if chucked overboard, and allowed to (eventually) sink to the bottom and disintegrate.

For all the above, I imagine the process of burning whatever carbon fuel is used to incinerate it, is itself doing (avoidable) damage to the environment.

Even the lump of metal, alloy, might not look pretty on the seabed, but it could hardly be regarded as environmental "pollution".

However, plastics, containers, string, rope, wrappers, cellophane, trainers (shoes), we now know and agree, will not disintegrate quickly enough, and can be dangerous . . . particularly if attached to a "lobster pot"!

[/DRIFT]

Last edited:

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Was Russian lobster pot gospodin.

Once upon a time there was an able seaman called Murphy. Sometimes he was a leading seaman, but never for very long. One night in Rio some Carioca sold him the scruffiest, mangiest, grubbiest parrot in South America. He put in a request to keep a pet on board. Commander (thinks, I've got him now): But what are you going to feed it on? Murphy: Parrot food, sorr. He got the chippies to make it a cage (lots of people in the sip owed him favours). However there were worries upstairs. The Mate of the Upper Deck who was Murphy's taskmaster was delegated to ask about it. You won't let it say anything rude about the Captain, will you? Oh no, sorr, Oi'm just going to teach it to say Bugger the Buffer*.

* Biffer: Chief Boatswain's Mate. Oh, never mind.

A lot of the trash to be "reduced to carbon dust" (incinerated),
Although ‘incinerator/incinerated’ are used colloquially, pyrolysis is not the same thing as incineration.
The gash in QNLZ is not incinerated.

given the film crew were onboard over a period of years, judging from a few seconds footage of one evolution that in itself would have lasted hours, seems a bit judgemental.

Although ‘incinerator/incinerated’ are used colloquially, pyrolysis is not the same thing as incineration.
The gash in QNLZ is not incinerated.
Whatever the process, does it use - unnecessarily - carbon-based fuels, for seemingly the bulk of the trash?!

Surprised the QE does not have a multi faith prayer room, maybe they do but our spoiler of food prefers an unused mess.
Wes told the camera that it is everyone’s and anyone’s prayer room.

I enjoyed last nights episode but the patronising commentary drove me nuts. I had to punch the cat in anger. Things like:
  • “The port propellor. That’s the left one”
  • “On the starboard side, that’s the right side
  • “Turns at 3500 rpm, that’s revolutions per minute”.

I enjoyed last nights episode but the patronising commentary drove me nuts. I had to punch the cat in anger. Things like:
  • “The port propellor. That’s the left one”
  • “On the starboard side, that’s the right side
  • “Turns at 3500 rpm, that’s revolutions per minute”.
Have you always known these terms since you were born?