Britain's Biggest Warship - 3 Part TV Series

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
A genuine Crustacean query: How will 'Lean Manning' and the relatively small scale of the ship's compliment affect the cleaning and maintenance regime?
I think a more pertinent question would be how lean manning would affect a damage control regime. In the event of a serious accident, you'd have dead and wounded, plus a large part of the remaining crew required for the normal operation of the ship. As that point, I wonder if they'd struggle for hands for a major damage control problem?

Wordsmith

There are 3300 compartments (counting the hangar as one compartment). A pragmatic approach has been taken - there are high use compartments and passageways that will be cleaned daily/twice daily (messdecks in use, eating areas, main passageways etc); there are some areas that will be cleaned on a rota (I think it’s either weekly or fortnightly); there are other areas that will be cleaned before embarkation and before disembarkation, and locked at all other times when not used. Your SACs and Cpls will be joining the cleaning rosters!
Either that or we’ll find out that routine cleaning has been contracted out to Sodexo...

Either that or we’ll find out that routine cleaning has been contracted out to Sodexo...
It has been alongside (and has been for about 15 years).

I think a more pertinent question would be how lean manning would affect a damage control regime. In the event of a serious accident, you'd have dead and wounded, plus a large part of the remaining crew required for the normal operation of the ship. As that point, I wonder if they'd struggle for hands for a major damage control problem?

Wordsmith
The same way the Dutch and Danes (and MV) do. Significant automation and redundancy in that automation.

Trust me, as part of a FOST team that tried to set fire to a Danish ship without much success, it works...

The same way the Dutch and Danes (and MV) do. Significant automation and redundancy in that automation.

Trust me, as part of a FOST team that tried to set fire to a Danish ship without much success, it works...
We need to talk about your pyromaniac tendencies...

Interesting to hear about the lean manning provisions. I bet there's a reason why the Yank carriers have 10 times the number of bomb handlers that HMS QE has. What happens if there's battle damage, a computer failure or, perish the thought, a leak in the engine room causing the high voltage power grid to shut down? Those 300 Yank matelots are there to manhandle 2000 lb bombs from the deep magazines to the flight deck at an acceptable rate to keep the air wing busy.
Many of those US handlers are there to manhandle the bombs around in their deep mags (using o/h hoists and chain blocks) before putting them on the bomb lifts to get them to hangar and flightdeck level. That's the bit that's automated highly mechanised on QEC. Those lifts on US carriers are just as prone to power failures as any other system - which is why you tend to have multiple lifts and reversionary power supplies - as does QE. What the US handlers aren't there to do is haul bombs up ladders and along passageways.

The Beeb seem to have moved away from making 'car crash' TV programs. With a crew close to 700, it would have been all too easy to focus on the relatively small number of sub-standard crew and shown them struggling. Instead, you got a good impression of the complexities of getting a hugely complex weapons system up and running.

And a program much the better for it.

Wordsmith
I think the difference between this and Sailor School is that that this programme is made by Chris Terrill. The programme he made about Royal was spot on.

I think the difference between this and Sailor School is that that this programme is made by Chris Terrill. The programme he made about Royal was spot on.
Chris Terrill is very pro military,but he is very even handed.
Lefty channel 4,I think not so much. If the aim of Sailor School was to make the fish heads look a bit dopey,I think they succeeded.
Luckily those of us with military experience usually know when someone has an agenda.

What the US handlers aren't there to do is haul bombs up ladders and along passageways.
Bollocks! I’ve watched Battleship (the shit film with Rhiannon) where they carry a 15” shell. Easy peasy.

Sailor School was a smash hit with its target audience (potential recruits and their families) even if many matelots LOATHED it. If you're not the audience, chances are you won't like the show.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
The piddly little Brickwoods gun is easy, even I could do it - and did, when shanghaied by Dryad which formed its crew out of Sub Lts on course there (we didn't win).

An idea of the size of a real gun can be gained from looking at the ones used for Royal funerals - one in Excellent for HMQ and one (is it still?) at Woolwich for training and Royals who are not HMQ (I was told even D o E gets the Woolwich one). The competition goes back to Q Victoria wanting to see a re-enactment of how J Jack lugged guns from HMSs Powerful and Terrible to achieve the release of Ladysmith (named after Lady Smith btw).

HMS Powerful (1895) - Wikipedia

Meanwhile BZ Terrill and I was much impressed by the way the real flood was handled. I've been in two ships straight out of build and the game wasn't nearly as complicated as it is for QE2.

The real thing:

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Lefty channel 4,I think not so much. If the aim of Sailor School was to make the fish heads look a bit dopey,I think they succeeded.
Lefty Channel 4 had two strokes of genius with car crash TV.

10,000 BC put 20 odd dysfunctional idiots back in the stone age. They were so good at coping that 2/3 had left before the end of the program.

And 'The Eden Project' resulted in further dysfunctional idiots trying to build a new society. That was such a ratings smash that they stopped filming half way through but 'forgot' to tell the volunteers. Who were busy building a sauna rather than planting crops....

At least Chris Terrill's program is likely to maintain viewer interest to the final episode.

Wordsmith

I remember HMS Brilliant by Chris Terill in 1995 - quite a gritty programme that showed that the Navy at work in in the Adriatic, on operations. HMS Brilliant was one of many frigates and destroyers that were sent on NATO and national tasking out there. The first episode featured an air defence exercise and a Sea Harrier (from whichever CVS was there at the time - late 1994 so Invincible I think) doing a hover and waving after an air defence exercise.

Later episodes featured boarding operations, defence diplomacy, the Lynx being suddenly launched with live Sea Skua.....

As I remember there was no narrator - the story told itself. Later documentaries have mostly been cack - although there were some tasty ones about submarines in 1999/2000, and the Channel Four one about HMS Ocean last year was good. The one about Endurance (including the flood) was alright.

Must get round to registering for BBC iPlayer....

Last edited:
Having been in a USN Carrier, I doubt very much the 300 bomb handlers are about to pass hand over hand the various types of ordinance up ten decks, regardless of how good they are..
They will if you flog them hard enough! The world's navies started to go soft when they stopped issuing the rum ration to powder monkeys.

I can't claim to be in touch with the modern Royal Navy but I do believe that lean manning has more to do with money and recruiting difficulties rather than modern technology and automation.

A genuine Crustacean query: How will 'Lean Manning' and the relatively small scale of the ship's compliment affect the cleaning and maintenance regime? Will unused compartments be sealed, do modern materials mean less cleaning is required, or will the small number of guys have to do more cleaning pro rata (which can't be great for retention I'd have thought)?

Regards,
MM

When the RAF embark, their hotel staff will do the cleaning. ;-)

Stupid question ... seen as there is a high risk and danger of water leaking in the engine compartment onto electrics would it not have been a better design to have a splash guard or something sealed to the top of the junction boxes or made more waterproof .

Just seems odd seen as it all costs so much that you would not spend say an extra £30 on each part or so to avoid a massive and expensive problem .

All in the DSTAN

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...8?seriesId=3&usg=AOvVaw0XpymhssnsrDfeaFeHy1R4