Britain's Biggest Warship - 3 Part TV Series

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Circuit training for the Green & Yellow Watches today then dropped the pick 5 or 6 miles SSW of the Needles a short while ago:

View attachment 430123
' Channel Night '

At a wild stab, mesh could either its self go through or a a possible build up of airbourne FOD would catch and then go througn.

All ships have an IS platoon, (IS Internal security) this provides a small armed unit for piracy and local assistance in the case of civil unrest, think hurricane relief. No all ships have Marines.
Hopefully they are better trained nowadays(IS/Boarding party HMS Eastbourne 1973/74)--we were dangerous----------to ourselves.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Just watched this whilst being on nights, I have to say he comes across as a fairly decent bloke.
Met him a couple of times, the longest being at Staff College ten or twelve years ago - can't claim to know him well but he was a good chap to work with/for.

Movements chit published.

First Entry to Portsmouth 13:40 at Outer Spit Buoy tomorrow, all being well.

Movements chit published.

First Entry to Portsmouth 13:40 at Outer Spit Buoy tomorrow, all being well.
Same gen being spread around Pompie, weather dependent obviously.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Gorgeous day down here...send pics if you are about.

Gorgeous day down here...send pics if you are about.
Bit overcast, I'm at the far end of the harbour. Pair of hawks flew over but no merlins like the QE had. Such a huge vessel :)

Yokel

LE
There is a pair of Merlins and a pair of Wildcats on her deck.

Why not put stuff regarding her arrival on the Carrier Strike thread, and not one about the two documentaries by Chris Terrill?

Personally I would like to see a documentary about all the measures taken to prevent SDSR 10 being a terminal blow to RN carrier aviation. As well as exchanges there has been talk of other measures, and being aided by NATO allies. Probably politically sensitive so there was little publicity.

Bit overcast, I'm at the far end of the harbour. Pair of hawks flew over but no merlins like the QE had. Such a huge vessel :)
Got a good view from the back of my house as the Hawks headed towards the island. Mrs R was puzzled about the Hawk and the RN connection until I explained there isn’t one and HM Forces uses what’s available these days.

Yokel

LE
Apart from 736 Naval Air Squadron that is, and the fact that RN fixed wing pilots are trained using the Hawk.

736 Naval Air Squadron

They used to be FRADU (Fleet Requirements and Air Direction Unit) until post Harrier they neded somewhere for UK based RN FW types to go. It may have been better had they been equipped with a V/STOL aircraft.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
HMS Prince of Wales entering Pompey for the first time

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
Back on topic - does either the BBC or Chris Terrill's own company plan to sell the two series of Britain's Biggest Warship on DVD or anything? I would personally like to have them for posterity.

I would also like a compilation of TV news articles and programmes featuring carriers throughout the eighties, nineties, and from 2000 onwards. Channel Four showed an Equinox documentary in late 1993 about the USS Theodore Roosevelt on operations in the Adriatic - I cannot find it on YouTube or anywhere.

philc

LE
Back on topic - does either the BBC or Chris Terrill's own company plan to sell the two series of Britain's Biggest Warship on DVD or anything? I would personally like to have them for posterity.

I would also like a compilation of TV news articles and programmes featuring carriers throughout the eighties, nineties, and from 2000 onwards. Channel Four showed an Equinox documentary in late 1993 about the USS Theodore Roosevelt on operations in the Adriatic - I cannot find it on YouTube or anywhere.
On the first part both series are available on net in the right place, failing that if you want them as files I have them.

Yokel

LE
I know - but I wonder if anyone sells DVD compilations of old documentaries and news articles? YouTube had lots of snippets from the likes of AP about nineties CVS deployments to the Adriatic and Arwbian/Persian Gulf.

Perhaps this forum needs a thread for YouTube and other videos?

Last edited:
Seeing double today ;-)
1575462985226_0_FB_IMG_1575462212739.jpg

Latest Threads