ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Britain's Armed History. Starts tonight 05.01.17. BBC4

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by guzzijon, Jan 5, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. It looks good- though the line in the trailer " make history not war" is stupid and a bit "right on".
    In the general mish-mash of poliical correctness that is BBC programming it amazes me that this sort of show actually gets made. I somehow imagine that within the BBC's hierarchy there must be strange little nooks and crannies which are regarded by the rest of the organisation with a sneery sniggery contempt, thought of as a bit of a career dead end.

• Like Like x 3

3. Hard to conceive of today's BBC making a series such as "The Gun" again ( a documentary series about the evolution of firearms); apparently they even destroyed the recordings so that no-one can obtain a copy or re-show it...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Disgraceful behaviour, if that is what they did.

• Like Like x 1
  5. You're kind of right actually - we're all getting made redundant.

6. Not before time...

7. Not true at all. I can see the series available to access on the BBC archive database. You can kind of see why they're making such cuts when there's such a constant battle against this kind of nonsense being accepted as fact. The fact is, the entire department at BBC Bristol who make these Sam Willis series, Timeshift, etc are all getting made redundant in February. The Daily Mail et al always review these shows positively, and yet they're not going to be made any more. You can't have your cake and eat it.

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  8. The Gun is available on youtube

It's from considerably before my time however I think it is a very interesting and well produced series and stands up well against the plethora of American Pawn Pickers Alien Moon Nazis currently aired on Discovery etc.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
  9. Well, fair enough, I should have checked for myself. I was recounting the nature of the message that had been given separately to two sets of enquiries in the past - both to groups who were interested in getting the series published on DVD or digital format.

10. I see you are new to this august website, welcome to the world of arrse...
    I rather fear that as part of the BBC ( even soon to be ex BBC) you may not receive much sympathy for your employment predicament.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Its current output and make-up is down to the BBC being purged by successive govts, regardless of political hue, through the constant changes to its governance and the loss of a long term Charter.

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Shall watch with interest. Three parter.

( Anyone know if the engineering drawings for a Welrod are available please?)

.22 LR I believe.

Edit: no, .32ACP

13. Sorry guys, initially put the wrong time- it's 21.00 not 20.00 in case you were wondering how Killer Whales fitted in!

14. Why/? Who do you want to kill?

Try here:

TIMELAPSE.DK

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

;-) seen.

14,000 made.....goodness