• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Britain will increase military support to Ukraine by the end of the year and increase its presence in the Black Sea in 2019.

How the hell can the Navy do this?

Had a Navy WO just last week explaining to me just how shite it is now for younger sailors.

He was explaining how the Falklands commitment takes three ships as one is on training , the other is out there and the third is coming back to allow them some time off BUT .

They then get pinged, whatever trade to go to another draught to do scraping and painting , So IT , weapons whatever are used to clean and paint ships.

He also mentioned some trades are so short manned, Engineers who do all the below deck engine stuff that the R.N has had to ask the US Coastguard for spare bodies and that most now have a couple on board.

We've already given them Saxon.

Haven't the poor bastards suffered enough?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I asked the question I wanted to discuss in OP, how many could end up in that Country? Could it turn into a regular deployment instead of Germany?
Its depends to what extent the announcement is part of a programme, at a delicate stage of the Brexit negotiations, to remind the East European contingent of the EU that the UK possesses one of the only two friendly and credible military capabilities on their continent in the event that the Warsaw Pact Re-Enactment Club plans a day out.

The Navy has a carrier it can now do anything. The better question is why would we want to deploy to the Black Sea. I'm all for NATO interoperability but realistically if the balloon goes up we will be busy in the Atlantic and people like the Romanians and Turks will have the Black Sea.

Had a Navy WO just last week explaining to me just how shite it is now for younger sailors.

He was explaining how the Falklands commitment takes three ships as one is on training , the other is out there and the third is coming back to allow them some time off BUT .

They then get pinged, whatever trade to go to another draught to do scraping and painting , So IT , weapons whatever are used to clean and paint ships.

He also mentioned some trades are so short manned, Engineers who do all the below deck engine stuff that the R.N has had to ask the US Coastguard for spare bodies and that most now have a couple on board.
Somebody point this out to the political types who constantly trumpet that we can do more with fewer ships as the new ones (...which new ones?) are more capable. They ain't capable of being in several places at once, nor of regenerating themselves instantly.

Last edited:
Posting Booties to the Ukraine means they can't be deleted from the ORBAT - already engaged. Someone is playing politics? Increased commitments here and there - have to man the new carriers - someone is angling for extra cash.

As to the earlier poster - why can't the Falkland Islands protection ship stay in the Falklands and just have the crews rotated by air? Employ some bennies to do the repainting tasks.

Its depends to what extent the announcement is part of a programme, at a delicate stage of the Brexit negotiations, to remind the East European contingent of the EU that the UK possesses one of the only two friendly and credible military capabilities on their continent in the event that the Warsaw Pact Re-Enactment Club plans a day out.
Very good point. But I suspect their politicians have their snouts so deep in the EU trough they don't care.

As to the earlier poster - why can't the Falkland Islands protection ship stay in the Falklands and just have the crews rotated by air? Employ some bennies to do the repainting tasks.
Bite risk RED//
Because you need a proper dockyard, and probably a dry-dock, for a proper refit. This is not about getting the superstructure and upper hull paintwork refreshed.
//Bite risk clear

Bite risk RED//
Because you need a proper dockyard, and probably a dry-dock, for a proper refit. This is not about getting the superstructure and upper hull paintwork refreshed.
//Bite risk clear
Happy to be beaten but... where did battle of the river plate see Exeter being repaired? ;)

Don't bite.

Latest Threads