Britain today

It’s not like your the 51st State. We don’t love you that much!
But its still happening. One example is the detectives walking about the crime scene, clutching little paper cups of tea/coffee - like in the YewEss.

Back in Jack Frost's day (there I go) theyd have been in the canteen at the nick slurping their cuppa. Even Jack went the paper cup route in later episodes.

There are other examples and not having lived there for over 20 years, it's interesting to see the slow slide on Brit TV shows.

But its still happening. One example is the detectives walking about the crime scene, clutching little paper cups of tea/coffee - like in the YewEss.

Back in Jack Frost's day (there I go) theyd have been in the canteen at the nick slurping their cuppa. Even Jack went the paper cup route in later episodes.

There are other examples and not having lived there for over 20 years, it's interesting to see the slow slide on Brit TV shows.
Yep it's all America's fault! FFS.

Offa

Old-Salt
And yet there are lots of people in the UK who are the complete opposite of chavs, scroungers and pond-life.

Don't tar us all with the same brush.
But it would be good to get rid of the dross - or at least 're-educate' as in China.

scarbrough

War Hero

You've seen nothing yet. I witness guys in their 30s holding those paper cup things while riding skateboards and those two-wheel scooter things.

If she’s that keen to pick up “trash”, take her Thetford trg area, “there you go dear, fill your boots”.

I think just about every ageing generation for the past few centuries has bitterly complained that the place is going to shite. And the OP is carrying on that hoary tradition. So bring back the birch, re-establish National Service, wheel out the stocks in public places etc, etc. All alleged solutions for an age-old "problem". Of course, there's nary a mention of who's going to supervise all that, or how it's going to be paid for.

Such rants are almost always either preceded or followed by the usual: "When ah were a lad, all this were fields", or words to that effect. What no-one seems to take into account is that our parents/grandparents/great-grandparents were of a wont to claim exactly the same about us.

It's also worthwhile to recall that the generation of squaddies who were sent to Afghanistan, Iraq and other places at 18, 19 or 20 years old were also subjected to such mindless rantings, but look how admirably they acquitted themselves under impossible circumstances.

MsG
Bunkum and balderdash. In fact, utter bunkum and balderdash.

What is being raised and "educated" these days in schools is in a large part Generation Benefits with a massive entitlement complex and no sense of duty.

It's my right to welfare, innit.

You seem to be defending vile bullies in schools.

I think just about every ageing generation for the past few centuries has bitterly complained that the place is going to shite. And the OP is carrying on that hoary tradition. So bring back the birch, re-establish National Service, wheel out the stocks in public places etc, etc. All alleged solutions for an age-old "problem". Of course, there's nary a mention of who's going to supervise all that, or how it's going to be paid for.

Such rants are almost always either preceded or followed by the usual: "When ah were a lad, all this were fields", or words to that effect. What no-one seems to take into account is that our parents/grandparents/great-grandparents were of a wont to claim exactly the same about us.

It's also worthwhile to recall that the generation of squaddies who were sent to Afghanistan, Iraq and other places at 18, 19 or 20 years old were also subjected to such mindless rantings, but look how admirably they acquitted themselves under impossible circumstances.

MsG
Bugsy, the squaddies won't have come from the set of kids behaving like this.

It's that set we're talking about.

It’s not like your the 51st State. We don’t love you that much!
Nah! The 51st state was the state of Pearl Harbor after the Japanese had finished with it.

No truck.
Wrong accent.
You don’t hunt.
You don’t wear wranglers and camo to work.
Non homeowner.
Unemployed.
1911 is a year to you.
You don’t grill or smoke or own a turkey fryer.
You are not prepared for the zombie apoc.

Yeah your really helping turn them to the dark side...

No truck.
Wrong accent.
You don’t hunt.
Non homeowner.
Unemployed.
1911 is a year to you.

Feckin Yanks. Going over there and nicking our colonies! :cool:

Feckin Yanks. Going over there and nicking our colonies! :cool:
I would like to think we took a better path towards self enlightenment on our quest for independence.

Pardon me whilst I go share my wisdom on Xbox Live....all you need are bullets and water when you prepare for Zombie slaughter!

And so the choices of the people that "clearly watch nowt but American cultural output", that's the fault of the Americans? No one forces these people to watch that shit. If folks in the UK use American slang that's hardly the fault of the Americans.
What are you on about you halfwit?

I didn't suggest for a moment that anything in this sad little tale was the fault of the, or any, Americans.

Did you go to skool in Norfolk you idiot?

No truck.
Wrong accent.
You don’t hunt.
Non homeowner.
Unemployed.
1911 is a year to you.

Wrong accent? What?! Maybe I have a Cali accent but it's still American!

And I do grill - quite good actually - was the BBQ/ grill master for a good few hours the last Bank holiday weekend.

And I own half a home in MI with my best buddy - it's rented out. Bought it in '08 during the recession at a super cheap price, as we both had jobs during that time, probably the only good financial decision I ever made.

Latest Threads