Britain the US poodle

An opinion in the Times...
How mad for Britain to be the US poodle: the neocons will fade away
Matthew Parris

HENS MAY BELIEVE the rooster who tells them his cock-a-doodle-doo brings the sunrise, and there may be a few gullible Labour MPs who think Tony Blair’s dash to “persuade” George W. Bush to pressure Israel has not been carefully choreographed by the Americans and the Israelis —
but the rest of Britain will be harder to persuade.

I won’t join the left-liberal new imperialists who think Britain should be big-mouthing hostility to the United States or Israel, and wading in with offers of peacekeepers and money to keep the various sides apart in the Middle East. We don’t have the troops, the money or the leverage, and we should accept our modest place in the 21st-century international order. But there is such a thing as dignity; as the expression of humanitarian dismay: such a thing as keeping a cool and sceptical distance from incendiary diplomacy and warmongering.

Within five years an America entering the second decade of the new century may be looking back on George W. Bush’s presidency as a kind of nightmare, an aberration, a dreadful memory tinged with the acrid smoke of Baghdad and a policy of political arson in the Middle East. Words like “Iraq” and “Lebanon” will be pronounced in the tones we British still reserve for “Suez”.

I utterly despair of Mr Blair recovering the sanity to quit this ship of fools before it sinks; he is handcuffed by history to the doomed hulk.

More:- http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1065-2289986,00.html

It is not Britain that is the poodle it is Bliar. How could the people be so stupid as to vote this **** back in three times?
How about only ex and serving military allowed to vote , we would be sure to get a government with some common sense then.

How about having a Arrse general election pole, all parties on the pole then the arrse community has 15 hrs to vote.

Remember you will be voting for the party and it's policies not the party leader!!!

J

Bliar's pathetic performance will hasten his departure...he will be lucky to survive in office past the party conference.

It is all driven by his desire not to alienate his future US book/lecture market...it will be the only place he is likely to be accepted.

It is my understanding that despite being French, the poodle is an energetic dog with independant spirit. Notwithstanding my hatred of all things Gaul-ish can we really liken the 'Bliar' government to such a dog?

chelwood14 said:
bliars the only poodle i can see kick him out
Gordon Broon is no better

More like a yorkshire terrier than a poodle, very yappy, extremely irritating and keeps coming back.

If you likened 2 jags to a breed of dog, what would it be? A boxer maybe, a bit dim and dribbles alot. Answers on a £5 note please.

This thread is highly offensive...to poodles!

What I don't get is what the hell do they want him to do declare war on Israel or something?

Give diplomacy a chance to work seeing as the U.S is the only ones capable of telling the Israelis to stop as they provide all their nice shiney weapons. The chaps right, I was in Manchester the other day they were having a pro-Israel and pro-Lebanon protest it was intresting and it left me thinking at least we can do that in the Western World.

what_no_leave? said:
It is my understanding that despite being French, the poodle is an energetic dog with independant spirit. Notwithstanding my hatred of all things Gaul-ish can we really liken the 'Bliar' government to such a dog?
How about a "slug"? Because its 1) spineless; 2) slimy; 3) admired & respected by nobody; & 4) eats up what you've worked hard to achieve without giving anything back...

(and no I'm not bitter AT ALL about my garden!!)

Frogslegs - if only salt was what we needed to get rid of him.

As for 2 shags; he would have to be of poor breeding. Clearly a mongrel who just hangs around shagging peoples legs.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don't like Blair - but I don't think he is a 'poodle' - he does what he does because he is in agreement with Bush. Its just a cheap shot by people who don't agree with him.

Would we be calling him a poodle if he had gone along with Chirac and kow-towed to every thing the Frogs believe in?

Spinless? - well he seems to be showing some spine now - he is standing up for what he believes in in the face of some serious oppposition.

Egomaniac? The on/off mike 'Yo Blair' conversation seemed to show that he was willing to try something that might not be a winner becasue it was in the wider interest of a casue he believes in. Hardly the act of an egomaniac.

Liam Fox was on the box yesterday - he essentially agreed with Govt policy with regard to Isreal/Lebanon as it is in this present crisis - so is he a poodle?

Blair wants to make a better world - you can argue about whether he is going about it the right way, and I've certainly got my critisms but he is sincere in trying to do the right thing even when its the hard thing.

Do the world leaders who oppose his policies want a better world? the French, Russians, Chinese? Only in as much as its making a better world for them and thier cronies.

Well Bliar has been poodle-faking again, this time in San Francisco. apparently the septics think he is a great thinker and some kind of political genius. He has been rambling on about political cross-dressing, which is not a reference to Peter Mandelbum at all. He has been characterised by US commentators as one of a "star-powered" elite.

I confess I was puzzled by this. nothing he has ever said or done seems to indicate a higher calling, exceptional skills or intellect or indeed anything other than that he is good at climbing greasy poles. Then I mulled it over some more.

It is clear, "star-powered" must mean "wired to the moon" in American. Truly we are two nations separated by a common language.

You have to forgive the septics for their over use of superlatives. Call it inferiority complex but to me they all talk like Ritchie Benaud commentates.