• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Britain - The descent into the third world

That would be a question to ponder....then again if he gets U.K. citizenship at some point it will all be moot.
Probably will happen next year, when I become eligible. If I feel like it. It's not cheap for sure! Already paid a ton of money for the permanent residency bit.

Last edited:
Probably will happen next year, when I become eligible. If I feel like it. It's not cheap for sure! Already paid a ton of money for the permanent residency bit.
Don't screw it up when you apply. They'll pocket your money as an admin fee leaving you to start again from scratch.

Ref integrated transport systems. Leeds isn't bad, but there isn't anywhere up here in the north that has an integrated system on a par with most of the cities on the continent.
Manchester is fooking travesty especially with their never ending bollocks about being the REAL 2nd city. Feck off, the tram system is hugely expensive & is massively overcrowded. The network is tiny compared to the size of the city environs & the impetus for expansion is constantly stymied by various selfish self interest organisations - to whit, the time its taken to get the line built out to the Trafford centre. Your main out of town shopping centre/mall & its taken you 15 years to connect it to the city centre?
The car is hated by the city centre council but wanted by the chamber of commerce as the lack of facilities for car drivers (who have no choice but to travel or commute by car when their rural public transport options are so limited) mean that people can't get into the city with any measure of reliability.
I worked there for 18 years & gave up, i had to get out as the commute was killing me. A twenty mile motorway & A road commute could take 2 hours. If you don't have an understanding employer its a nightmare of a place to work.

You;ve got the same issues with the like of Merseyrail at the other end of the M62. A hopeless bunch of wasters. Thankfully the road network is better managed & more cars are allowed into the city centre.

I would never advocate a nationalised bus, rail or tram system. I remember the 70s & the nightmare situations of being held to ransom by those shitkickers in the unions but any transport franchise must be governed by a strict performance & service provision related set of contractual parameters. Its barking we are so far behind our continental cousins.

Ref integrated transport systems. Leeds isn't bad, but there isn't anywhere up here in the north that has an integrated system on a par with most of the cities on the continent.
Manchester is fooking travesty especially with their never ending bollocks about being the REAL 2nd city. Feck off, the tram system is hugely expensive & is massively overcrowded. The network is tiny compared to the size of the city environs & the impetus for expansion is constantly stymied by various selfish self interest organisations - to whit, the time its taken to get the line built out to the Trafford centre. Your main out of town shopping centre/mall & its taken you 15 years to connect it to the city centre?
The car is hated by the city centre council but wanted by the chamber of commerce as the lack of facilities for car drivers (who have no choice but to travel or commute by car when their rural public transport options are so limited) mean that people can't get into the city with any measure of reliability.
I worked there for 18 years & gave up, i had to get out as the commute was killing me. A twenty mile motorway & A road commute could take 2 hours. If you don't have an understanding employer its a nightmare of a place to work.

You;ve got the same issues with the like of Merseyrail at the other end of the M62. A hopeless bunch of wasters. Thankfully the road network is better managed & more cars are allowed into the city centre.

I would never advocate a nationalised bus, rail or tram system. I remember the 70s & the nightmare situations of being held to ransom by those shitkickers in the unions but any transport franchise must be governed by a strict performance & service provision related set of contractual parameters. Its barking we are so far behind our continental cousins.
be happy with what you got!! here in the land of the koala, queens land rail passenger service is atrocious, when travelling from townsville to the Isa passengers are sometimes asked to walk besides the moving train to ease the movement of the tracks,and local rail traffic in brisbane is a weebit dangerousas far as breakdowns in tunnels is concerned

be happy with what you got!! here in the land of the koala, queens land rail passenger service is atrocious, when travelling from townsville to the Isa passengers are sometimes asked to walk besides the moving train to ease the movement of the tracks,and local rail traffic in brisbane is a weebit dangerousas far as breakdowns in tunnels is concerned
Sydney, Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne all seem to have lovely sensible joined up public transport. What happened Queensland?

Pity it's a load of pish. Yang Jisheng's Tombstone is far better, not least because he was an eyewitness who also had privileged access to official accounts. It's pretty bleak and unrelentingly horrific but it does give a far better explanation of the evolution of the famine.

Dikotter's sole interest is in promoting Dikotter, not history. He likes to take the facts for a nice long walk, even if they fall by the roadside long before his intended destination.
Fairy Nuff. I've added that book to my wishlist. Are saying that Dikotter was wrong, or what? I see that Yang talks about 36 million whereas Dikotter talks about 45 million.

Fairy Nuff. I've added that book to my wishlist. Are saying that Dikotter was wrong, or what? I see that Yang talks about 36 million whereas Dikotter talks about 45 million.
One thing Yang is careful to do is to produce the various estimates and their methodologies. Surprisingly, the highest tend to be Provincial census bureaus and PSBs, although the latter tend to caveat their figures by noting surges in unregistered urban populations at the same time - the implication being that flight to the cities played a part in rural depopulation.

Dikotter on the other hand plays his usual trick of seizing on the most headline-worthy figure and ignoring anything that might suggest they're not the whole story. He did the reverse with his work on the opium problem, discounting eye-witness reports of the scale and consequence of addiction by ascribing ulterior motives to the witnesses - "they're missionaries, they just want a moral outrage to raise funds", etc.

The general problem is that nobody really knows how many people died, mainly because there were no really accurate estimates of population before or after and no accounting for population movement during. The best we can say is that that there's a huge gap in the demographic which ought to have been filled and which is of a scale normally only seen in war or massive famine.

in the cities the local transport is usually pretty good, but venture to oneof the bush towns .the buses run maybe twice a day between towns,rail transport 2 or 3 times a week and very expensive, at least now they have started upgrading the roads, so driving is not so much of a pain in the arse

I bet if you picked one of the many instances where Irish Catholics were involved, the perpetrators' names would tend to be a bit Irish-Catholicy.
OK, you got me there.
I'm wrong and there isn't a pattern of offending by Pakistanis

Jesus, the state of your head.

Latest Threads