Britain - The descent into the third world

Even more pedantry, DARPA sponsored the research, so it was really invented for the DOD

As Arpanet was the precursor of the internet, and defined a mass communication system designed to survive a nuclear war, one could say that was invented by the yanks for the US DoD...If you wanted to be pedantic

The internet only really changed when Tim Berners Lee came only and became Web 1.0
The UK MOD X.25 packet switched network was also a pre-cursor of the internet, but, critically, like ARPANET not actually the internet. TBL developed tcp/ip, but 'the internet' is a connectivity concept integrating lots of protocols and technologies. No-one invented the internet, it just grew from humble beginnings

Last edited:
Even more pedantry. The internet was not "invented by the yanks for the US DoD" that was ARPANET, an early packet-switching network like the British Net 1 developed at the National Physical Laboratory.

If anyone is interest in the history of the Internet, don't read complete crap by a former new york times journalist.

Seems you've swallowed septic bullshit for a quite a while. Guess you also think the US invented the steam engine and the lightbulb too.

What is all this jingoistic nationalism? What we now think of as “the internet” wasn’t invented by any one person, entity, or country.

To name just a few of the constituent technologies that form “the internet”, there are Lasers, optical fiber, wave division multiplexing, Ethernet framing and physical standards, TCP, UDP, IP, DNS, SGML and derivatives (eg XML, HTML), HTTP, ECMA/JS, many routing protocols/layers such as MPLS, BGP etc. To extend the reach of the internet, the concepts of Wi-Fi access, CDMA and GSM get involved, together with their underlying radio modulation techniques.

To read this page, my iPad uses Wi-Fi to access my Ethernet switch, which is connected to my 5G gateway. Then a radio path to the eNB, then fiber optic to the packet gateway, then fiber again to the peering point with whichever network Cloudflare is on. That will be determined by the PGW using DNS and BGP. MPLS will route the traffic over a fiber-based DWDM network to Cloudflare's most suitable CDN Node. It will then serve the page to my iPad over an end-to-end TCP connection.

Said iPad uses a SoC that is essentially multiple ARM cores with integrated memory and radio functions. Designed in the US, using some British IPR, manufactured in Korea and integrated in China. The iPad will interpret the served HTML and JS files, and bingo, I see the page.

To my certain knowledge, this technology stack involves American, British, Canadian, Finnish, Swedish, French, Swiss, Chinese and Korean technology, all of which are necessary for it to work.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
What is all this jingoistic nationalism? What we now think of as “the internet” wasn’t invented by any one person, entity, or country.

To name just a few of the constituent technologies that form “the internet”, there are Lasers, optical fiber, wave division multiplexing, Ethernet framing and physical standards, TCP, UDP, IP, DNS, SGML and derivatives (eg XML, HTML), HTTP, ECMA/JS, many routing protocols/layers such as MPLS, BGP etc. To extend the reach of the internet, the concepts of Wi-Fi access, CDMA and GSM get involved, together with their underlying radio modulation techniques.

To read this page, my iPad uses Wi-Fi to access my Ethernet switch, which is connected to my 5G gateway. Then a radio path to the eNB, then fiber optic to the packet gateway, then fiber again to the peering point with whichever network Cloudflare is on. That will be determined by the PGW using DNS and BGP. MPLS will route the traffic over a fiber-based DWDM network to Cloudflare's most suitable CDN Node. It will then serve the page to my iPad over an end-to-end TCP connection.

Said iPad uses a SoC that is essentially multiple ARM cores with integrated memory and radio functions. Designed in the US, using some British IPR, manufactured in Korea and integrated in China. The iPad will interpret the served HTML and JS files, and bingo, I see the page.

To my certain knowledge, this technology stack involves American, British, Canadian, Finnish, Swedish, French, Swiss, Chinese and Korean technology, all of which are necessary for it to work.
So there!

Oh fcek. A bleep who read the manual.

Racist!
Don't you know that Effricans invented electricity, electronics, wire, cable, the ether...

Well they invented everything else in the world according to some gibberish I read
The most advanced civilisation in the world - ever!

Look what they gave us...

Racist!
Don't you know that Effricans invented electricity, electronics, wire, cable, the ether...

A Saffer buddy of mine worked for Siemens in SA before he emigrated to the UK. They were installing mobile infrastructure in remote villages in Africa. These sites had radio backhaul and solar panels for the power, so you could set them up anywhere, they did not need power or other cabling.

He said their biggest problem was the locals stealing the solar panels to use as tables.

A Saffer buddy of mine worked for Siemens in SA before he emigrated to the UK. They were installing mobile infrastructure in remote villages in Africa. These sites had radio backhaul and solar panels for the power, so you could set them up anywhere, they did not need power or other cabling.

He said their biggest problem was the locals stealing the solar panels to use as tables.
Ex Grand Prix in the late 90s. At the end of the ex a group of us volunteered to stay behind to do 'good works' in the Nanyuki area. Over the 3 exercises that year we built a school for one village.

My mate on the same exercise the next year said the village boss had turned the school into a home for his 6th, 7th and 8th wives and their children...

Ex Grand Prix in the late 90s. At the end of the ex a group of us volunteered to stay behind to do 'good works' in the Nanyuki area. Over the 3 exercises that year we built a school for one village.

My mate on the same exercise the next year said the village boss had turned the school into a home for his 6th, 7th and 8th wives and their children...

Well, it certainly taught you something.

The most advanced civilisation in the world - ever!

Look what they gave us...

Well in fairness, they did build the pyramids. That was a pretty damned good feat of engineering at the time. Years ago (now I think back, 31 of them), I was lucky enough to go there for a visit. They do indeed look like this:

GettyImages-51739588-e1509628004582-640x360.jpg

But what you almost never see, is the camera turn round 180 degrees. The stinking shithole that passes for a city of Cairo has been allowed to encroach right up to them. Just look at the smog/heat haze in the below photo. That captures my recollections of the filthy sewer.

46017992984_dc330459cc_b.jpg

skeetstar

War Hero
When we went to visit, the guide told us the pyramids were 4002 years old. I commended him on his accuracy, and asked him how he knew. He told me that he'd been doing the job for two years, and the previous guide had told him that the pyramids had been there for 4000 years.

Well in fairness, they did build the pyramids. That was a pretty damned good feat of engineering at the time. Years ago (now I think back, 31 of them), I was lucky enough to go there for a visit. They do indeed look like this:

GettyImages-51739588-e1509628004582-640x360.jpg

But what you almost never see, is the camera turn round 180 degrees. The stinking shithole that passes for a city of Cairo has been allowed to encroach right up to them. Just look at the smog/heat haze in the below photo. That captures my recollections of the filthy sewer.

46017992984_dc330459cc_b.jpg
Arguably the people who built that weren't technically, evolutionary, Africans.

I bet they were. The slaves that actually built it, that is :)

Those that engineered it, however...
To be fair, I recall seeing/reading something saying that there were no slaves involved, they were enthusiastic Egyptians seeking entry to the next life through their hard work. Much like Christians seeking entry to the afterlife through doing good works.

Religion, the big deceiver.

Latest Threads