Britain - The descent into the third world

Indeed when my daughter was completing her degree she and all her contemporaries were discussing what Masters they would be studying, they justified this further study on just such a premise, how do I stand out from the crowd who all have first degrees?

During her time applying for jobs, a lot of it online she got the opportunity to chat to other candidates, the majority had gone down the Masters route as that had become the discriminator that companies were using to make the first cut, no longer a 1st or 2:1 from a Russel Group or even Oxbridge.

in my nieces case (extremely intelligent, hard working, Straight A student), the electronic engineering Uni course she started 2 years ago will spit her out at the other end with a Masters and Chartered Engineer Accreditation - quite how someone who will never have worked in her discipline other than a number of short term placements can qualify for Chartered status I don't know!

- the whole qualification thing is now completely out of control, the Unis are just businesses who doing deals with Trades institutes who milk it in from annual subscription fees but in my opinion, very little else.

In my office I sit alongside both Graduate and non graduate engineers - at the moment the company has just restructured its pay and grade structure and the old guys with umpteen years of build experience but little quals or accreditation are getting dumped on big time and they are raging that inexperienced graduates are getting paid and promoted far over their heads - it is a sign of the times and I think it is quite likely the company will see quite a few resign if the grievance process does not rectify the problem

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
in my nieces case (extremely intelligent, hard working, Straight A student), the electronic engineering Uni course she started 2 years ago will spit her out at the other end with a Masters and Chartered Engineer Accreditation - quite how someone who will never have worked in her discipline other than a number of short term placements can qualify for Chartered status I don't know!

That makes my effort, study and work for C.Eng a complete and utter waste of time.

Are they? Not English Language?

I am not trying to be funny - but what skills or knowledge does the generalist offer? Do they try to see everything through a class literature lens? How does the English literature graduates ability to solve problems compare with that of a STEM graduate?

Are logical analysis, numeracy, and understanding cause and effect part of it?
Analysis of things, in the sense of looking for connections and similarities, rhyme & rhythm. 'Justify/deny the statement Mrs Miggins is but a leaf in every wind that blows' (which needs reasoning).
Cause & effect is widely used in literature as well as shown in history books

Yokel

LE
Analysis of things, in the sense of looking for connections and similarities, rhyme & rhythm. 'Justify/deny the statement Mrs Miggins is but a leaf in every wind that blows' (which needs reasoning).
Cause & effect is widely used in literature as well as shown in history books

Is that 'literature' or 'language'? I never understood how I had two grades for GCSE English - one for language and one for literature. I assumed that literature as a subject was about understanding the written word as a form of art, whereas language was about using it as a tool to communicate.

One of my Science teachers complained that there was not enough emphasis on communicating.

I think the Skandis have a more collective outlook on society - the Danish have 'Samfundssind', and I understand Norway & Sweden are similar - tbh, don't know about Finland.

But it's one of the reasons why they're (literally) getting bent over and fucked by the immigrants that come from places where looking out of the singular is a means of survival, let alone a personality trait.
More interesting range landscapes than Salisbury though.

on a serious note, I wonder if Norwegian kids are taught to hate their country, their skin colour, their family, their history, their Military and worship at the altar of woke? the damage our majority left wing media and teachers do to Britain is immense and growing

They are quite into integration, they went through a phase of adopting south Korean and African kids, now they are adults its just their colour/ethnic characteristics that marks them as different, they have the same culture as native born Norwegians.
They try to disperse refugees so they cant form ghettos, after a generation or so they more or less fit in, do national service, get pissed on expensive beer, go skiing etc.

However, a certain religion has changed this, they tend to stick to their own group, want their own rules and arent that keen on integrating.

“Try everything once, except folk dancing and incest.”​

Sir Thomas Beecham
That my Mastermind audition fucked then.

Is that 'literature' or 'language'? I never understood how I had two grades for GCSE English - one for language and one for literature. I assumed that literature as a subject was about understanding the written word as a form of art, whereas language was about using it as a tool to communicate.

One of my Science teachers complained that there was not enough emphasis on communicating.

Literature is the consolation prize for those that don't get

Grammatik_macht_frei.png

Meh. You either mach it or you get left behind.

Having bothered to read the articles as well, this paragraph stood out.

"When her daughter's boyfriend Tony, 52, came to the lad’s aid, the situation became heated and Lisa tried to separate the enraged pair."

So the daughter of a 50 year old woman has a 52 year old boyfriend. Classy family.

Last edited:
Please do not assume that the Salvation Army is the same everywhere. In the US it has taken a turn which they have to deal with. These are often picked up by the media and applied to the SA worldwide.
Lots of my mums cousins and uncles are SA. They are also all scousers, so double whammy on the “Sally Ann are dodgy“ front.
Fired up on nothing stronger than lemon squash (they eschew caffeine and other such dangerous drugs) they do good work.
And they will help anyone.

I always thought that SA meant Sturmabteilung and that they were closed after the war. A slightly incongruous double-look, especially as 'your' SA was around before 'their' SA.

- the whole qualification thing is now completely out of control, the Unis are just businesses who doing deals with Trades institutes who milk it in from annual subscription fees but in my opinion, very little else.

In my office I sit alongside both Graduate and non graduate engineers - at the moment the company has just restructured its pay and grade structure and the old guys with umpteen years of build experience but little quals or accreditation are getting dumped on big time and they are raging that inexperienced graduates are getting paid and promoted far over their heads - it is a sign of the times and I think it is quite likely the company will see quite a few resign if the grievance process does not rectify the problem
I’m fairly sure that there’s a misunderstanding here. I am pretty sure that the Accreditation referred to here is just confirmation that the course provided by University and level of qualification meets the minimum educational standards of the Engineering Council for Chartered Status. She will still have to meet the other entry requirements including a certain amount of work experience of a relevant standard to actually attain Chartered Status.

Edited for clarity.

I’m fairly sure that there’s a misunderstanding here. I am pretty sure that the Accreditation referred to here is just confirmation that the course provided by University and level of qualification meets the minimum educational standards of the Engineering Council for Chartered Status. She will still have to meet the other entry requirements including a certain amount of work experience of a relevant standard to actually attain Chartered Status.

Edited for clarity.

You're right. Courses are Accredited for CEng, then the candidate can go on to achieve CEng registration.

I don't know if it's still true but a quite a few years back I was partly responsible for the selection for the grad intake for the IT dept at a large retail chemists. We used to look back over the previous 3, 5 and 10 years and see if we could identify the subjects that the better programmers, analysts , project mgrs etc had had.

English, and other languages featured highly for programmers and analysts. STEM subjects for project managers and engineers.
I remember being told that Latin and Greek were good as a way of learning analysis.

Latest Threads