Britain rejects more Afghan troop

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Aug 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Report: Britain rejects more Afghan troops

Published: Aug. 23, 2009 at 4:31 PM

LONDON, Aug. 23 (UPI) -- The British government has decided, primarily for financial reasons, that there will be no extra troops heading to Afghanistan, defense sources say.
    Unnamed sources told The Sunday Times of London that commanders looking for 2,000 more troops to strengthen the army in its battle with the Taliban in Helmand province will be disappointed by the decision.
    More
    http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/08/23/Report-Britain-rejects-more-Afghan-troops/UPI-27601251059500/

2. Liars, cheats and murderous theives.

3. “I will ensure the Military have all the troops and recourses required to fulfil our mission. “ Dirty lying bastards

4. This highlights that as a group that does not have a union and cannot strike the armed forces is the easiest place to cut costs on the sly without people caring too much as it will not affect day to day lives on British streets, How Ironic then that Brown continues to state how the army in Afghanistan is fighting to keep those same streets safe?

5. The way things are developing I think Afghanistan will break Labour long before it breaks the army.

6. There's money for a full scale invasion into iraq in 2003 and stay there for 6 years? Theres money to recover the banks that have gone bust?

Increasing numbers of Americans and Canadians had to come to Helmand because we can't handle the situation.

This is by far the worst news yet. Perhaps they're just realising we're not going to win this war after all? I certainly don't believe we will.

7. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

"Saved our asses?" I don't see the Taliban threatening to overrun British units.

OTOH, if, by that, they mean help us stablize a situation that has been spiralling out of control, then it is a difficult point to argue.

8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Yeah,Just like the yanks told us that they won WWII for us poor Brits.
    Did'nt save them in Vietnam tho did it...