Britain pulls the plug on Zambia

...and in other news the Pope turns out to be a Catholic. Perhaps this will be the (necessary) start of a rolling snowball that we will see getting bigger and bigger.

I suppose other than the poor at the end of the chain, the other big losers will be Mercedes and BMW, I see the report mentions funds being diverted to buy expensive vehicles, groundhog day dawning come no shit Sherlock syndrome then.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
The UK has frozen aid funding to Zambia, after its government admitted that $4.3m (£3.3m) meant for poor families had gone missing.
The move follows allegations of corruption within President Edgar Lungu's administration.
Ireland, Finland and Sweden have also suspended aid.

UK suspends Zambia aid over fraud fears

Ex Africa semper aliquid novi
Is the huge Chinese presence in Zambia anything to do with that decision?

Flash to bang around 50 years. Obviously not paying close enough attention. Either that or ignoring reality in the hope it'll go away and leave them alone among the fluffy unicorns in their fantasy world.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The UK has frozen aid funding to Zambia, after its government admitted that $4.3m (£3.3m) meant for poor families had gone missing.
The move follows allegations of corruption within President Edgar Lungu's administration.
There are many perfectly innocent explanations as to where this money has gone.

It is however typical of these racist and imperialist governments that they automatically shout "corruption" every time a little bit of money goes missing.
Don't they understand that once they give something away it is no longer their property and has nothing to do with them ?

Had any of the western leaders bothered to come to visit President Lungu, they would have noticed a very large sofa in the palace, I'm sure some of the small change they're whining about will be found there.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
At least one charity has a simple and low cost solution to avoiding some of this corruption in African states. They simply put adverts in newspapers specifying the aid that has been given. Local politicians are less likely to be sticky fingered, when the people who vote for them have an easy way of identifying when they're stealing things intended to make the life of local villagers easier.

In similar vein, we should be giving a lot of this aid in the form of trade credits that can only be redeemed with UK companies. This would both render corruption more difficult and boost the order books of UK companies. By way of a bonus, I suspect a policy of this nature would be electorally popular.

I'd also enjoy the ranting from the left stating that preventing corruption in this manner was both imperialist and racist.

Wordsmith

This would both render corruption more difficult and boost the order books of UK companies. By way of a bonus, I suspect a policy of this nature would be electorally popular.
Popular with whom? The last time it was even so much as floated the howls from the usual suspects were that this was colonialism. Tbh though the howls from the less usual suspects were along the same lines. NOt sure "aid with strings" is a flyer.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Popular with whom? The last time it was even so much as floated the howls from the usual suspects were that this was colonialism. Tbh though the howls from the less usual suspects were along the same lines. NOt sure "aid with strings" is a flyer.
A lot of the UK electorate are unhappy we are sending 0.7% of GDP in foreign aid when there are multiple things we could spend the money on in the UK. Ensuring that foreign aid cannot go into the pockets of corrupt dictators would strike a chord with those voters.

Wordsmith

I'd also enjoy the ranting from the left stating that preventing corruption in this manner was both imperialist and racist.
You’d think they’d be grateful that at least the patronising “patting on the head” of these shit countries was coming to an end.
I see providing aid to such states tantamount to flipping a £1 coin at a street drinker: sure he’ll spend it on Special Brew, sure he’ll continue to despise you, sure he’d steal all your money given the chance, but in the five minutes after you’ve given him a quid... he might take care not to vomit on your shoes.

Ireland, Finland and Sweden have also suspended aid.

UK suspends Zambia aid over fraud fears

Ex Africa semper aliquid novi
Ex Africa semper vetus historia eiusdem*. I'm somewhat less than shocked.

* Google translate for the same old story. I refuse to stand over it should anyone say different.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Flash to bang around 50 years. Obviously not paying close enough attention. Either that or ignoring reality in the hope it'll go away and leave them alone among the fluffy unicorns in their fantasy world.
Shades of the Childrens Charity syndrome here? I wonder is Ms Batmangoolie had anything to do with advising the government of overseas spending?

You’d think they’d be grateful that at least the patronising “patting on the head” of these shit countries was coming to an end.
I see providing aid to such states tantamount to flipping a £1 coin at a street drinker: sure he’ll spend it on Special Brew, sure he’ll continue to despise you, sure he’d steal all your money given the chance, but in the five minutes after you’ve given him a quid... he might take care not to vomit on your shoes.
Now now, calling them shit countries is akin to calling them shitholes, and we all know that will end badly don't we?

But since they all seem to have moved on from Workers Paradise and Democratic Republic then I guess you are only left with something like of Garden of Eden, you will get a nice pat on the back for that.

Is the huge Chinese presence in Zambia anything to do with that decision?
I doubt it, or it's completely 180-degree out thinking by the FCO. All this will do is drive Zambia further into China's clutches, with their 'aid and investment without moral conditions; just sell us your country's primary production capability'. I was in Zambia in 2004 and there was already a very prominent Chinese presence then. I didn't think much of the pollies I met, but their military were a decent bunch and their para-military engineering capability quite impressive. Flying in a Chinese-built, African-maintained aircraft had a bit of a pucker factor to it though!

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I doubt it, or it's completely 180-degree out thinking by the FCO. All this will do is drive Zambia further into China's clutches, with their 'aid and investment without moral conditions; just sell us your country's primary production capability'. I was in Zambia in 2004 and there was already a very prominent Chinese presence then. I didn't think much of the pollies I met, but their military were a decent bunch and their para-military engineering capability quite impressive. Flying in a Chinese-built, African-maintained aircraft had a bit of a pucker factor to it though!
I would imagine China would take a more robust attitude to their aid money going walkies...

Wordsmith

Latest Threads