Britain points official fingers at Iran.

This has been coming for a while though hasn't it. Anyone have any idea of Iranian military strength, are they using old Russian kit too ,do they have an Airforce? Would check Jaynes but can't be bothered!

Skinn_Full said:
This has been coming for a while though hasn't it. Anyone have any idea of Iranian military strength, are they using old Russian kit too ,do they have an Airforce? Would check Jaynes but can't be bothered!
they aren't *********...I can testify to that.

My mob spent along time up in the marshes watching this lot (....helis, big 50cals and they're up for it)

cpunk

LE
The title of this thread begs a serious question: does Britain still have 'official fingers' which are capable of being pointed at a hostile nation? I thought they'd all been scrapped under 'Options'.

cpunk said:
The title of this thread begs a serious question: does Britain still have 'official fingers' which are capable of being pointed at a hostile nation? I thought they'd all been scrapped under 'Options'.
no mate...we only scrapped the army...we STILL HAVE the cadet force and the RAMC

Guess we dont get our boats back then .How about a tomahawk on their war museaum where they put the boats a symbolic
fcuk you .

Skinn_Full said:
Yes, and lots of it. They also have millions of smart bombs, otherwise known as Martyrs.

Would be nice to get my Iraq medal before I earn my Iran one.

I have no doubt that we (with a little US support) could smash the Iranian Armed Forces in short order. However, quick operational success does not equal strategic success, Iraq has proved this. We must consider the long term ramification of any overt sabre rattling towards Iran. If it is meant as a shot across their bows, we must only hope that they do not take it as an invitation to push usfurther by supporting the malitia in Iraq to a greater extent.

Personally can't see even BLiar and Bush being stupid enough to tempt Iran into any action before Iraq has become substantially more stable. Iran in 06 is not on the cards...08, 09, maybe.

Hmmm....if this "came from Hezbollah in Lebanon via Iran" surely it would have had to go into Iraq and back out again first? Whenever I hear about "Hezbollah and Iran" I always aim off for American nonsense about state sponsorship - they seem utterly obsessed by Hezbollah and Iran, so much so that things like geography just don't get a look in. If I was planning to send people from Hezbollah in Lebanon to southern Iraq, I'd send them to Iraq - after all, it doesn't seem that hard to get in through Syria.

And further, if it was the information on how to make a fancy shaped charge rather than the thing itself - haven't they heard of the Internet? It's like TV that you read!

Idle is right.

With the current spread of forces, increased opperations in Afghanistan (next year) and the current public opinion, there will not be any action in Iran for a while yet.

What is required is a strategic victory in Iraq or Afghanistan. This will prove that "regime change" is effective and realistic. This in turn will rally public opinion and off we'll go again.

www.fas.org (no relation obviously...) said:
The Shahab-6 is expected to have a range of 5,470-5,500 and 5,632-6,200 kilometers with a 1,000-750-500 kilogram warhead. This range capability will depend on the number of stages used in the launch vehicle and their performance.

December 1996 news reports claimed that Iran is developing a 3,500-mile (5,632 kilometers) range missile called Shahab-6 that would be capable of reaching Europe.

Oct. 1, 1998, The Washington Times, "Israeli, Prime Minister Mr. Benjamin Netanyahu said, "Iran is developing the Shahab-4 which can reach well into Europe, and the Shahab-5 and 6, which (will have the capacity) to reach the Eastern Seaboard (of the United States)".

Inter-continentally deliverable payloads in the hands of an IAEA non-compliant Islamic Theocracy. Get packing boys…

Just skimmed this off Wikipedia out of interest. Looks like the Iranians would definately give more of a stand-up fight then the Iraqis.

The Iranian Army is the national army of Iran.

It was called Iranian Imperial Army before the Iranian Revolution of 1979. At the time, it was the world's 5th strongest army.

As of 2004, the Iranian Army has reached a high level of self-sufficiency in manufacturing its own weaponry and facilities.

The Iranian Army's troop strength is estimated by various sources at between 500,000 and 540,000 men.

In addition to this there exists The Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps or Pasdaran. The IRGC operates independently of the regular army in a parallel operational structure.

Scary shit ,add to this their recent excursions into the world of Uranium/Nuclear technology, surely by the time anything kicks off (if at all) not only will they pose a serious conventional threat, they may pose a serious N.B.C one also.(If they dont already!) Suppose we'll have to wait and see. Out.

Remember Iraq had the worlds fourth largest army prior to GW1, but looked what happened to them. I don't know if the same could be said about the irainians though. Remember some stupid country kitted them out with lots of (then) gucci kit.

Was that the French?

The other big difference with Iraq is that Iran has the ability to close the Gulf to shipping. Not only would this mean an end to oil shipments, but imports into Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi etc would have to come the long way round.

cpunk

LE
PassingBells said:
Was that the French?

The other big difference with Iraq is that Iran has the ability to close the Gulf to shipping. Not only would this mean an end to oil shipments, but imports into Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi etc would have to come the long way round.
Iran has the ability to try to close the Gulf to shipping, which it also 'tried' to do during the Iran-Iraq war, with very limited success. Whenever they did anything more than minor harassment and mining, the spams gave them a bit of a shoeing.