Britain may be without a fully operational aircraft carrier until 2030

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by FourZeroCharlie, Nov 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At first I thought that if we can manage without a carrier for so many years, perhaps we don't need one at all. But I listened to the Sec State for Defence and I am convinced that we are doing the right thing.
  2. I thought it'd also now been cut down to a single carrier?
  3. Never mind, the new ice survey ship HMS Protector has just been launched. What do we need with an aircraft carrier, it's not like we live on a bloody island is it?
  4. You just watch, the Indians or the Pen&Inks will buy them, or, heaven forfend, the Frogs
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The whale watching boat has only been leased....
  6. So we lease a ****-off big ship to watch for biological/geological/geographical anomalies, meanwhile the 'proper' bit of the navy rots away through lack of proper funding?
  7. Over time and over budget. Who'd a thunk it?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Britain may be without a fully operational aircraft carrier until 2030.

Horatio Nelson's ghost will haunt what he sees as incapable, soft and bent so called leaders of 21st century British Empire ....... or should i say, the sediment of the Empire is all that is left now. :)
  9. 2030 **** me! Only an hour and a half to go.............
    • Like Like x 6
  10. Just out of interest, how long is it between laying the keel and putting to sea for a new Nimitz class carrier? I'm no navel engineer but surely it doesn't take over 20 years to build and equip one of the worlds biggest warships.

I'm still not sure how we managed to get here, we used to be good at building ships and stuff, now we can hardly put a nail in a bit wood with out it going over time and over budget.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. For the first Nimitz class (USS Nimitz) the build started 1 year after the order was placed. 7 years later it was in service.

For the final Nimitz class (USS George H.W. Bush) the build started 2.5 years after the order was placed. 5 years and 4 months later it was in service.

PS: The next gen US carriers (currently under construction and scheduled for 8 years) are expected to have a 5-year build time when ramped up.

'Bunch of useless *****' would be too generous to describe what we get.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Construction

The keel of Nimitz was laid down 22 June 1968 by Newport News Shipbuilding in Newport News, Virginia. She was christened in 1972 by Catherine Nimitz Lay, daughter of the late Admiral Nimitz. Nimitz was delivered to the Navy in 1975, and she was commissioned at Naval Station Norfolk on 3 May 1975 by President Gerald Ford.

So,seven years then!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Couldn't we just buy an American design off the (very large) shelf?

Possibly even with the airwing thrown in.
  14. Don't be realistic and practical here. remember, we're British.
    • Like Like x 2