Britain is a model for racial equality - Commission on Race and Ethnic Disparities

Blackity Black seems to be an option and BAME or POC is out. All of that gets my vote.

Well it was good enough for James Brown, unless he's now deemed racist for this song...

Pointing out that what she believes is irrelevant because the data shows it to be so saw her revert to stunned fish.

What is interesting out of reading that report, or the highlights of it, is that of the black population as a whole African blacks are more likely to go to university than Caribbean blacks. It'd be interesting to see such as David Lammy pick the bones of that.

African blacks - have emmigrated from Africa and have full knowledge of the African heritage

Carribean blacks are victims of slavery and thus perform correspondingly poorly owing to the long lasting effects.

Job jobbed Canary, Guardian, AAV and twatter will rush to proclaim this and thus it will become established truth

Never mind that the only person I know who can actually chart her ancestry and the family they belonged to was an immigrant to the UK from South Africa and the 1st in her (non white* ) Ancestry to do so

* She was coloured and before the PC police raise this nasty racist comment in Westminster - that is her descriptor - because she is South African and mixed race.

RedDinger

War Hero
That never quite gets answered, does it?

Institutional equality? You've got that. A fair hearing? You've got that. An acceptance that the country's past wasn't always good? Well, okay, but it's still better than some countries' presents - including those that many of these people complain about being wrested from.

The concept of trying to bring with you the systems of government, with all the corruption and nepotism that that entails, and then complaining about the system here is nonsense.

But as to what they want? Is it free stuff? The black activist student complaining about inequality is at university, I take it? I couldn't afford to go.
Spot on. An endless procession of dissenters are being rolled out by the press and TV and allowed to express unsubstantiated views with no evidence or examples in the majority of cases.

As for the Governments Ethnic Minority Advisor quitting. Has anyone seen any useful advice he has given?

I wrote the piece in italics yesterday lunchtime, but forgot to file it.

"It's been like this all morning. Al Beeb kicked off the 'Today' programme with reminders of the Black Labs Matter protests last year before having a pop at the report's author, Dr. Tony Sewell, perhaps the first time in living memory that Beeb presenters have criticised and interrupted a Brixton-born gentleman of colour for having come to the 'wrong' conclusions. There were also serious, head-nodding contributions from the Guardianista cognoscenti on 'World at One' and I doubt 'PM' will be any different.

I predict that this report will be deemed unacceptable by anyone with a public salary and funding agenda to support, i.e. that the most important lives that matter are black Caribbean lives, particularly those in Lunnon, followed by black Africans elsewhere of whatever origin with Asians and assorted Minority Ethnics coming a distant third group. Years ago there was talk of the 'race relations industry' and nothing has changed. Too many pointless yet lucrative careers and too much taxpayers' money doled out to dubious charidees and pressure groups depend on keeping the racism, deprivation, inequality and victimhood pot on the boil."

True to form, Al Beeb's 'PM' and the Six O'clock News were all on message yesterday evening, as was 'Newsnight. This morning all the suspects were lined up, including the first Gentleman of colour head (vice chancellor?) of a Cambridge college to denounce the heresy that the country is not institutionally racist. After all, and as I wrote yesterday, too many pay packets, grants, public sector sinecure jobs and media profiles depend on keeping, ahem, the knee on the neck of the silent majority taxpayer.

OZ

So the left running true to form then

Black peoples voices are important and must be heard - providing they say what we want them to

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
More African Blacks go to university because their parents had a ******* awful time in getting here in the first place and the difference in Quality of Life in where they've come from compared to where they've got to is huge. Message to their kids "you have no idea what we went through to get here, go and get some qualifications and don't **** it up"

Similar with Bangladeshi families a generation before, Vietnamese, Cambodians, even Chinese. They're the BAME constituents that do well and thrive
Well, quite. But the drive to succeed among some of the black community doesn't sit well with Lammy's and his cohort's conceit that the system is stacked against all of the black community in particular.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
BBC Radio 4 this morning. Talking head talking about 'racism'.

Points made: That 20 percent of population has said that it wouldn't like to see a relative marry someone of a different colour. Therefore, if you have a room with 10 people in a room, two will be racists.

Counterpoints not made: Are those 20 percent necessarily white? No, it doesn't mean that two in 10 in any room are racist. None may be racist. Equally, in certain company, all may be racist. Oh, and not necessarily white.

My ex-wife's colleague was Indian. She was married to a guy from Barbados. She once put it to me like this: "It's bad enough for an Indian girl like me to marry a white guy. Marrying a black guy has put me through hell."

Racism, then, and not a white person in sight.

I've not heard the BBC yet interview someone who is white who isn't somehow invested in the(ir) orthodoxy that the country is racist. There is a majority of white people out there who are being wholly discounted in this.

Everyone has an interest in race, in the sense that it affects everyone. Whether that be directly, because of real racism, or indirectly, because of the implication of racism on the basis of skin colour (i.e. white).

BBC Radio 4 this morning. Talking head talking about 'racism'.

Points made: That 20 percent of population has said that it wouldn't like to see a relative marry someone of a different colour. Therefore, if you have a room with 10 people in a room, two will be racists.

Not necasserily , although i will caveat that with perhaps more so if they are younger.

I know someone who has had partners of various ethncities - but is oppossed to mixed race marriages.

Opposed because the children will suffer abuse from both sides and not fit in anywhere

Now its an outmoded position I agree
Because
A) Theres far more multiracial people around and so isnt so unusual
B) It doesnt conform to modern sensibilities ie racism is allways one way

But the position itself however misguided and ill concieved wasnt born of the individuals racism itself - but to proct children from others racism.

I was cringing when the opinion 1st started being aired - but as they finished the explanation - I thought fair enough i can see where you are coming from.

I then explained (gently) why i felt it was an outdated position etc.

Now older people may well think on those lines - younger people - not so much thats probably indicative of racism

What exactly do all these people protesting/ shouting racism at every opportunity actually want?

OK, so say there really is institutional racism in the UK, what do they want done about it? How are they going to achieve those goals? Apart from totally destroying the reputation and life of anyone who gets in their way I cant see an end to any of this as there will always be something else.

Stibbon

Old-Salt
Everyone has an interest in race, in the sense that it affects everyone. Whether that be directly, because of real racism, or indirectly, because of the implication of racism on the basis of skin colour (i.e. white).

Correct.

The black/BAME/whatever individual who assumes you're racist because of the fact you're white, is in fact epitomising the meaning of racism by that very notion.

The word has now become meaningless though overuse. Rather it's more of an assumption than a description.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
But given the amount of venom and the pandering of the press etc, do you think that could actually become reality in say 20 years?
No, the pendulum will swing back eventually IMHO, most likely in a non-violent way. Thanks to the wonders of a first past the post electoral system, occasionally the voters have to be listened to, and eventually the media will fall in line with the consensus of opinion(actual opinion rather than the chatterati).

When it will happen though is open to further debate!

A (white) ex GF of mine used to date a black guy. A very handsome black guy who was quite a catch because (in her words) he had a degree, a high paid job, no criminal record and no kids.

If they were out in town and visited a soul or reggae club, she'd inevitably come out with spit on her back. Put there by the 'sisterhood' who hated her with a passion for 'stealing' one of 'their' men, thus leaving just the pond life for them to choose from.

The word has now become meaningless though overuse. Rather it's more of an assumption than a description.
As has 'Fascist' for years
George Orwell commented that "the word 'Fascism' is almost entirely meaningless" and that "almost any English person would accept 'bully' as a synonym for 'Fascist

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Not necasserily , although i will caveat that with perhaps more so if they are younger.

I know someone who has had partners of various ethncities - but is oppossed to mixed race marriages.

Opposed because the children will suffer abuse from both sides and not fit in anywhere

Now its an outmoded position I agree
Because
A) Theres far more multiracial people around and so isnt so unusual
B) It doesnt conform to modern sensibilities ie racism is allways one way

But the position itself however misguided and ill concieved wasnt born of the individuals racism itself - but to proct children from others racism.

I was cringing when the opinion 1st started being aired - but as they finished the explanation - I thought fair enough i can see where you are coming from.

I then explained (gently) why i felt it was an outdated position etc.

Now older people may well think on those lines - younger people - not so much thats probably indicative of racism
The simplistic point about two in 10 being racists was being made by the person on the radio, not me. Hence my next paragraph about counter-points not made.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Correct.

The black/BAME/whatever individual who assumes you're racist because of the fact you're white, is in fact epitomising the meaning of racism by that very notion.

Aaaaand assumption is...?

Unconscious bias/racism.

Oops.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
A (white) ex GF of mine used to date a black guy. A very handsome black guy who was quite a catch because (in her words) he had a degree, a high paid job, no criminal record and no kids.

If they were out in town and visited a soul or reggae club, she'd inevitably come out with spit on her back. Put there by the 'sisterhood' who hated her with a passion for 'stealing' one of 'their' men, thus leaving just the pond life for them to choose from.
Same experience for a friend of mine who had a bit of a thing for black guys at one stage. She copped a lot of flak from black women.

And yet, as noted many times here and elsewhere, look at mixed-race couples on TV ads at the moment.

Somewhere, in focus groups, the discussion(s) will also have been had and the point will have been made that black male/white female is okay but black female/white male is a no-no.

The reasons why won't be allowed to get in the way of what we're seeing (to the point of tedium) right now.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
That's actually upsetting to watch, because when asked directly what she thinks is the solution and what she wants, she hasn't got an answer. She then turns on the interviewer - yebbut - and questions who and what he identifies as because he challenges the idea that just hating is enough.

Think about that: just hating is enough.

All she appears to want is a focus for her dissatisfaction, no matter what the realities may be.

That's never going to end positively.

Tyk

LE
I'm quite amused by the reaction to the report and the way it's highlighted so clearly that what the campaigners want is not equality, but to perpetuate their victim status so they can use it as both an excuse and leverage to obtain extra goodies.
I can't say I'm surprised.