• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Britain faces Iraq rout says US

How should the British Army leave Iraq?

• Using a shield of antiwar protestors and Guardian readers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Via Iran

• We are not leaving

• Dressed as Americans

• Offering Tony Blair as a safe passage hostage

• As we arrived – quickly

• Casually late one night

• Fully protected by the Iraqi Army and Police

• Total voters
A MILITARY adviser to President George W Bush has warned that British forces will have to fight their way out of Iraq in an “ugly and embarrassing” retreat.

Stephen Biddle, who also advises the US commander in Iraq, said Iranian-backed Shi’ite militias in the south would try to create the impression they were forcing a retreat. “They want to make it clear they have forced the British out. That means they’ll use car bombs, ambushes, RPGs [rocket-propelled grenades] . . . and there will be a number of British casualties.”

Some British officers believe they are facing a “humiliating” retreat under fire to Kuwait or the southern Iraqi port of Umm Qasr. “I regret to say that the Basra experience is set to become a major blunder in terms of military history,” said a senior officer. “The insurgents are calling the shots . . . and in a worst-case scenario will chase us out of southern Iraq.”

Biddle, a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations who advised Bush on the troop surge, said Iran would use its influence with the Shi’ite Mahdi Army to exploit the situation.

“It will be a hard withdrawal. They want the image of a British defeat . . . It will be ugly and embarrassing,” he said.

The Ministry of Defence said the British were not heading for defeat. “Although the militias are trying to claim credit for ‘driving us out’, they are failing.”
in full

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article2284257.ece

Use Bliar as sandbags, the cnut took us there, he can help get us out

Werewolf said:
Don't forget his wife... :twisted:
You'll end up in the Hague if you deploy that

And according to "Team Defence" it will, no doubt be a great success with everyone home for tea and medals!

Is it me or is the tide of US media turning in our direction as they find someone to blame for the lack of success? I have no doubt that it is an incredibly hard op to fulfil, but stabbing your allies in the back via the media is a bit much...awaiting incoming if I have in fact grabbed entirely the wrong end of the stick...

Dudders

dudders4w said:
Is it me or is the tide of US media turning in our direction as they find someone to blame for the lack of success? I have no doubt that it is an incredibly hard op to fulfil, but stabbing your allies in the back via the media is a bit much...awaiting incoming if I have in fact grabbed entirely the wrong end of the stick...

Dudders
i agree with you lately theres a been a few stories like this but i hope they emphasise that it's a political blunder not a military blunder our lads are doing the best they can with what they've got. we didn't ask to go there with the yanks did we

dudders4w said:

Dudders
I think your right, its in preparation for the 'If the South flank had held the US would have won in Iraq' revisionism which will be rolled out in a few years including a couple of movies.

dudders4w said:

Dudders
dont think so remember the politicos are jockeying for position as the good guys!!! so monkey boy will lay it on thick as you like ..... The US lost the middle east cos of insert .......... tommy atkins GOD the democrats GOD again but of course there one!! Gloabal warming etc etc it wont have nothing to do with monkey boy and his posse of fcktards being w^nkers

Yep - we will cop the blame as usual. Popular 'history' in the US will forget all the many and varied countries who left Iraq long before we have - having suffered a fraction of the casualties that we have - and lay the blame for the collective failure squarely on us cowardly Brits. I await with bated breath the flood of American civvies lining up to spit on the graves of our fallen comrades in the name of salvaging their own national myth.

Not for the first time, I wish I'd been born about 800 years ago...

I imagine the opposition will do everything they can not to interfere with the withdrawal, so they can crack on with they've been itching to do for so very long.

wedge35 said:
Yep - we will cop the blame as usual. Popular 'history' in the US will forget all the many and varied countries who left Iraq long before we have - having suffered a fraction of the casualties that we have - and lay the blame for the collective failure squarely on us cowardly Brits. I await with bated breath the flood of American civvies lining up to spit on the graves of our fallen comrades in the name of salvaging their own national myth.
quote]

Absolutely! This has been building for quite a while - careful, gradual, but inexorable release of "comment" designed to create the impression that it's all gone pear shaped on account of "the Brits". Classic example of scapegoating, and more than a few Americans will be only too willing to buy into it when the time comes to rationalise the Big Bug Out.

Wessex_Man said:
wedge35 said:
quote]

Absolutely! This has been building for quite a while - careful, gradual, but inexorable release of "comment" designed to create the impression that it's all gone pear shaped on account of "the Brits". Classic example of scapegoating, and more than a few Americans will be only too willing to buy into it when the time comes to rationalise the Big Bug Out.
and then they will throw in the top gear road trip to make things worse 8O !

From my limited experience of the media and its effect in USA, I am increasingly disturbed by this shift, the news especially seemed more biased than you could possibly get away with here! And Halo, remember, there has been no loss, no defeat, there never will be-tactical withdrawal maybe, or "draw down in forces", but Bush and the great USA be defeated? Never! :roll: :x

It seems that the media shift is well timed to co-incide with the embarassing releases that Armchair Jihad has posted, and a growing pressure on the MoD. Having read several other threads including the "what would keep you in" thread, I am increasingly (as an adolescent teenager) aware of the need to institute root and branch reform in the way we deal with the military, from civil serpents to procurement. Sad thing is, it must be the public who raise hell over it. Exhibitions like the "Hell land" one are just the thing...maybe something akin to making German citizens clear up the camps... :twisted: :D But I digress...I must say I rather liked the idea of leaving casually in the night, it has a certain style to it...

Dudders

proximo wrote:

I imagine the opposition will do everything they can not to interfere with the withdrawal, so they can crack on with they've been itching to do for so very long.
If there's going to be a power struggle after the withdrawal then it seems to me that it would be politically beneficial for the militias to be able to claim they caused it. So I reckon they'll be very tempted to attack large.
On the other hand losing a few hundred of their fighters during the withdrawal would not help them with the power struggle afterwards. So UK forces on the ground need to be in a position to explain to the baddies that it will be option 2 and not option 1.

Seems to me the guppymint needs to have plans to re-deploy a lot of peeps to cover the withdrawal. Send whatever the RAF has that can make big bangs and let everyone involved know that the rules of engagement during the withdrawal will boil down to "whatever neccessary".

If they don't and it turns out really nasty then...

dudders4w said:

Dudders
My guess is that it is not the US Gov't trying to pin the blame on the UK forces , but search by the anti-war media for something to counterbalance the shift in American political opinion supporting the surge.

Some British officers believe they are facing a “humiliating” retreat under fire to Kuwait or the southern Iraqi port of Umm Qasr. “I regret to say that the Basra experience is set to become a major blunder in terms of military history,” said a senior officer. “The insurgents are calling the shots . . . and in a worst-case scenario will chase us out of southern Iraq.”
According to this report, it's not Americans using those terms. I'm not sure whats going on in europe but stories like this aren't hitting MSM here in the states. There is very little mention on the nightly news.

I agree, way to f*ck over your allies.

Purple_Flash said:
And according to "Team Defence" it will, no doubt be a great success with everyone home for tea and medals!
Seen this name or term before, what is 'Team Defence' please?

'.....for tea and medals!'. No medals please, we're British.

Latest Threads