Britain Day - wheeled out again!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by qman, Jun 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

I know this was discussed a couple of weeks back. Interesting to note that The signing of the Magna Carta seems to be more important in the psyche of your 'average joe' than D-Day or VE day. I would like to know which lesbian whale loving think tank was consulted? Or did that moose kelly just ask the teachers at her kids private school? Cnut of a woman if you ask me. Yet another candidate for cancer of the arrse.

Was King John's signing of some sweety lovers treaty relevant to the rest of 'BRITAIN'? I feckin think not!
  2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Nope - VE day, followed by the shame of national bankruptcy and the loss of empire.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I personally cant see how those clowns can have the nerve to sell Britain Day having given 2 bits away already. If the public buy this I'm moving into snake oil selling
    Feck em I'm for England day!
  4. GREAT Britain Day????????
    If it has been suggested by a politician then it is probably to the detriment of the masses.
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Am I the only person that thinks losing points towards citizenship for committing crimes is wrong? Damn right they should be deported!
  6. Showing a debt of gratitude to war veterans who helped to secure freedoms??

How about repaying the debt instead?

Anyway, until we have a national holiday on St Georges Day, they can shove their PC lefty "Britain" day up their respective hoops.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Hear hear!
  8. lf this idea is to take off, which no doubt it will, what will happen to St George's Day?

This NEW LABOUR idea, to bring about better social cohesion! Why doesn't NEW LABOUR - NO SHAME, just come out and be truthful, it's open-boarders policy has failed big time.

lmmigrants that want to come to our once GREAT land, might be educated, however they are poorly educated on the subject matter of the English culture. Social cohesion will only happen, when NEW LABOUR, same 'ole rubbish acknowledge that immigrants, when push comes to shove nearly always play the race card - when they want to get their own way; this government have allowed it to happen, just for their votes...... ln a country that was once free, we, the polite host are now being ruled by a political party that endores this act, rewards this.

Bring on the BNP quips, call one r****t, they do say that the truth hurts. All, l will add is, it is a very sad day in England when every other culture as well as religion is promoted and celebrated within the education system, within society as a whole - however, one mention of Englishness - wwwwwwwhhhhhhhoooooooooooooopppppss
    you can't say that, you'll cause offence. Well, l'm offended, only now NEW LABOUR realises what it has destroyed, now that Ruth Kelly, NEW LABOUR has sactioned/spoken of this idea - we can all start to talk about our very own (host's) culture.............................

The new party - line is:- We'll do anything (4 U), to get votes!!!!
  9. Is it just a coincidence that this crops up in 2007 the 300th anniversay of 'Great Britain' ?

If this 'Britain day' is to celebrate 'Great Britain' then surely the date should be the anniversary of the Act of Union?

Or maybe not as it seems some are busily trying to undo all that.
  10. It's an even bigger coincidence that the government is trying to reinforce its patriotic credentials just before Tony signs us up to the new, improved, no referendum required EU constitution.

Still, signing away our right to govern ourselves will do his career prospects no end of good when a permanent, unelected EU president is appointed to rule over us. (Wasn't that model of government tried before. About 70 years ago. Short arrsed bloke who shouted a lot and who had a funny looking moustache).
  11. About 70 years ago. Short arrsed bloke who shouted a lot and who had a funny looking moustache).[/quote]

Are you talkin' of Tony B'LIAR's dad, by any chance???
  12. NuLab have realised the detrimental effects of at least two of their policies:

1. Ramming multiculturalism down everyone's throats has led to a ghettoisation of society without a common sense of nationhood; and

2. Devolution means people think of themselves more as English/Scots/etc than 'British', a problem for Labour and especially Gordo.

This is their too little, too late attempt to set matters straight.
  13. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Quite agree. Maybe we could use the power of arrse to tell them what we want on Britain Day? More of this
    and less of the 'let's all apologise and pretend that the last 300 years haven't happened'.!

Edited to add '

How about Britain day on 4th June to celebrate something Britain did, and led, which saved the world for everyone else! There are so many days we could choose - Trafalgar Day. Waterloo Day. Battle of Britain Day. Somme Day.
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I just caught the tail end of the prog coming back from the GP's. made me feel like a sick note!
  15. On this subject of Britain day, I find it insulting as England doesn't officially celebrate St Georges day this is shameful but he before he became Patron Saint of England was also Patron Saint of Soldiers.

I have no doubt if St George was celebrated in the same manner as for Saints Patrick, David and Andrew that the PC Brigade would have something to say about it.

Its just another political gimmerick