Britain Creating Too Many Bad Laws?

In other news:

Pope has Catholic tendencies

Ursine creatures defecate in arboreal locales

Blair's 'frenzied law making' : a new offence for every day spent in office

By Nigel Morris, Home Affairs Correspondent

Wednesday, 16 August 2006

Tony Blair's government has created more than 3,000 new criminal offences during its nine-year tenure, one for almost every day it has been in power.

The astonishing tally brought accusations last night of a "frenzied approach to law-making" that contrasts with falling detection rates and climbing levels of violent crime.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...nce-for-every-day-spent-in-office-412072.html

Blair decade sees jump in number of new laws, study finds * guardian.co.uk, Monday 4 June 2007 10.30 BST

Tony Blair's 10 years as prime minister have been marked by a dramatic jump in the number of new laws, according to research published today.

Over the course of the last decade, each year has seen an average of 2,685 new laws - the equivalent of almost seven and a half a day or one every three-and-a-quarter hours - said legal information providers Sweet & Maxwell.

That is a 22% increase over the average 2,196 laws made annually over the previous 10 years 1987-96, and the total does not even include thousands of laws introduced into the UK under European Union regulations over the decade.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2007/jun/04/houseofcommons.uk
God knows what the number is now since Comrade Gordon Clown has been in office.

I heard on the radiogram the other day that under John Major there were half a dozen Parliamentary Counsel (professional legislators or parliamentary draughtsmen) but under Neue Arbeit the number has risen to 59.

You get all the government you pay for baby, yes indeedy.

The Most Rev John Sentamu said: “What I feel very strongly about is when you make a lot of laws all the time, one has to be extremely careful they are not made in haste.” He called for a study on exactly how many laws had been passed since Labour was elected in 1997. “I think there have been too many,” he said. “The more laws you pass, the greater the insecurity you create in society.”

not news: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article720121.ece

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Will the Tories role this back - unlikely. No one wants to be seen to be soft on crime. It's no wonder the coppers use the anti-terrorism legislation for everything. They don't have enough time or training to understand what is and isn't legal any more.

Given the number of MPs who have law degrees and legal backgrounds, I've always been amazed that a) governments bring in new laws rather than looking in the 'back catalogue' and seeing how many already have provision to be applied to the 'new' problem and b) how poorly written the laws are, which enables judges to rule against our governments. I appreciate that law is all about interpretation, but it is possible to be accurate and precise with language to the point that no interpretation can be reached other than that intended by the law makers.

If people grow up without being taught values, standard, right, wrong and are then turned out feral, well then all the laws in the world won't answer. Judge Dredd himself would be looking at an early retirement to Costa de Sol City 4.

This government likes to play word-games with the law rather than do the right thing or accept responsibility for doing the wrong thing. Bring back Profumo. What, he's dead? Well bring him back anyway.

The one that makes me laugh is the fact that it's illegal to cause a nuclear explosion. Does this mean that, should the country find itself under nuclear attack, that it's illegal for the PM to order Trident to retaliate?

Magdovus said:
The one that makes me laugh is the fact that it's illegal to cause a nuclear explosion. Does this mean that, should the country find itself under nuclear attack, that it's illegal for the PM to order Trident to retaliate?
Don't you bloody start!

"Yes? Can I help you?"

Too many laws, too many performance indicators for plod means 'what gets measured gets done' . Knee jerk legislation is a trademark of the current govt response to public outrage.
Not enough prisons, magistrates told not to send crims to prison, no deterrent for the untermensch; there are too many factors to claw back from imho.

DozyBint said:
Given the number of MPs who have law degrees and legal backgrounds, I've always been amazed that a) governments bring in new laws rather than looking in the 'back catalogue' and seeing how many already have provision to be applied to the 'new' problem and b) how poorly written the laws are, which enables judges to rule against our governments. I appreciate that law is all about interpretation, but it is possible to be accurate and precise with language to the point that no interpretation can be reached other than that intended by the law makers.
Given the number of MPs who have law degrees and backgrounds, is it surprising that they've passed a load of bad laws? This gives job creation opportunities for their Chambers, Practices and Partnerships, and makes sure they have a few shillings coming in to top up their Parliamentary Pension when they retire.

I'd say the root cause was the corruption of popular government (always of mixed benefit, IMO) into populist government. With a vast bulk of voters fixed unthinkingly on their voting habits and a small promiscuous minority of swing-voters holding the keys to the safe from moment to moment, politicians will invariably cleave to the votes that count from moment to moment.

Being Seen To Be Doing Something is the new politics, folks. "In a democracy, the people get the government they deserve".

Voting habits...habitual behaviour often requires no thought...

All these Laws plus all the Shite that comes from Brussles is all designed to do one thing, make money. The spin off is that it also creates industries that all then have sub-industries that feed from them.

My small company got a bill for about £130 from the performing rights society that they wanted us to pay, just so that we could legally listen to the radio in the van..! My fecking arrse, it's my pisssing van and I'll listen to what I fecking like, cnuts...! But that's what it's all about. Creat laws and then create false jobs to feed from the implementation of them.

They're now on about installing Average Speed Camera's on all the motorways in the country; but the truth of the matter is that they couldn't give a flying one for roads deaths, it's all about creating a few false jobs and raising revenue. Whereas they want us all to get our enegry from windfarms, yet the countries only manufacturer of the equipment required has gone bust. Then as if to make matters worse, 90% of the contracts for the creations of the new Thames Gateway project (whose name escapes me), has all gone to overseas firms. More cnuts..

Grownup_Rafbrat said:
DozyBint said:
Given the number of MPs who have law degrees and backgrounds, is it surprising that they've passed a load of bad laws? This gives job creation opportunities for their Chambers, Practices and Partnerships, and makes sure they have a few shillings coming in to top up their Parliamentary Pension when they retire.
True - I didn't follow on from the obvious that when Blair was in power he was just lining up business for his wife!

heard_it_all_before is spot on with what he says, big bucks have been made by the industries that have sprung up around the implementation of a lot of the pointless shite laws that have been passed, especially the E.U ones.
For the record, i read the other day that the tally of new laws brought in by liarbore is now around 4300.
Then there are some of the more arcane and bizarre ones that are still on the statute books.
IIRC there is still a law on the books about being able to shoot a welshman with an arrow on a certain day of the year in somewhere like Shrewsbury or Chester.
Maybe if i look hard enough i,ll discover that edward the first passed one about being allowed to shoot lying useless one eyed scottish tw*ts.

Bombero said:
heard_it_all_before is spot on with what he says, big bucks have been made by the industries that have sprung up around the implementation of a lot of the pointless shite laws that have been passed, especially the E.U ones.
For the record, i read the other day that the tally of new laws brought in by liarbore is now around 4300.
Then there are some of the more arcane and bizarre ones that are still on the statute books.
IIRC there is still a law on the books about being able to shoot a welshman with an arrow on a certain day of the year in somewhere like Shrewsbury or Chester.
Maybe if i look hard enough i,ll discover that edward the first passed one about being allowed to shoot lying useless one eyed scottish tw*ts.
Chester castle on a Sunday with a long-bow, IIRC.

It's not just in Britain and it will continue to get worse. Here are the three reasons I see for new laws being passed in my current neck of the woods.

1. There is a genuine problem not covered under prior legislation and this law will fix it. I have heard rumors of such laws but it will take someone with more time than I have to research the existence of this mythical beast

2. The appearance of the Law Makers to be actually doing something. LA is broke financially, broken structurally, the schools are crap, the gangs are better armed than most countries, social services are a joke. Answer - the City Council will spend their time debating an ordinance requiring the spaying/neutering of pets.
This is a useful tool for the Pols, where there are numerous real problems they have not a clue how to solve they will latch onto a non problem and find a solution.

3. Revenue Generation. This is a biggie! The UK seems to have chosen Law and Order as their banner. California and the Feds have chosen the "Environment" as their cover.
One of the latest in this line is from one of the many unelected State bodies that are imposing yet another fee on businesses with more than 50 employees. This one is for "Hazardous waste". The waste in question is computers, monitors and printer ink. Does it matter that out of 250 staff, only 10 work in an office? No. Does it matter that a waste disposal fee is already added to the purchase price? No. Does it matter that a disposal fee is charged at the actual time and place of disposal? No.
That their extortionate attempts to get money will force more employers to go bust or take their payroll and taxes elsewhere seems to be beyond the comprehension even as we see it happening.

It boils down to (in my opinion) the declining intelligence, morals, passion, integrity and vision of the modern politician. They are clueless, self interested, career minded empty suits whose only aim is to stay in office. Because that's their job. Who else would give them one?