Britain Creating Too Many Bad Laws?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by gloworm, Jan 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got to agree with that. Way too many new laws have been pushed in.
  2. In other news:

Pope has Catholic tendencies

Ursine creatures defecate in arboreal locales

3. God knows what the number is now since Comrade Gordon Clown has been in office.
  4. I heard on the radiogram the other day that under John Major there were half a dozen Parliamentary Counsel (professional legislators or parliamentary draughtsmen) but under Neue Arbeit the number has risen to 59.

You get all the government you pay for baby, yes indeedy.
  5. msr

msr LE

The Most Rev John Sentamu said: “What I feel very strongly about is when you make a lot of laws all the time, one has to be extremely careful they are not made in haste.” He called for a study on exactly how many laws had been passed since Labour was elected in 1997. “I think there have been too many,” he said. “The more laws you pass, the greater the insecurity you create in society.”

not news:
  6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Will the Tories role this back - unlikely. No one wants to be seen to be soft on crime. It's no wonder the coppers use the anti-terrorism legislation for everything. They don't have enough time or training to understand what is and isn't legal any more.
  7. Given the number of MPs who have law degrees and legal backgrounds, I've always been amazed that a) governments bring in new laws rather than looking in the 'back catalogue' and seeing how many already have provision to be applied to the 'new' problem and b) how poorly written the laws are, which enables judges to rule against our governments. I appreciate that law is all about interpretation, but it is possible to be accurate and precise with language to the point that no interpretation can be reached other than that intended by the law makers.
  8. If people grow up without being taught values, standard, right, wrong and are then turned out feral, well then all the laws in the world won't answer. Judge Dredd himself would be looking at an early retirement to Costa de Sol City 4.

This government likes to play word-games with the law rather than do the right thing or accept responsibility for doing the wrong thing. Bring back Profumo. What, he's dead? Well bring him back anyway.
  9. The one that makes me laugh is the fact that it's illegal to cause a nuclear explosion. Does this mean that, should the country find itself under nuclear attack, that it's illegal for the PM to order Trident to retaliate?
  10. Don't you bloody start!

"Yes? Can I help you?"
  11. Too many laws, too many performance indicators for plod means 'what gets measured gets done' . Knee jerk legislation is a trademark of the current govt response to public outrage.
    Not enough prisons, magistrates told not to send crims to prison, no deterrent for the untermensch; there are too many factors to claw back from imho.
  12. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Given the number of MPs who have law degrees and backgrounds, is it surprising that they've passed a load of bad laws? This gives job creation opportunities for their Chambers, Practices and Partnerships, and makes sure they have a few shillings coming in to top up their Parliamentary Pension when they retire.
  13. I'd say the root cause was the corruption of popular government (always of mixed benefit, IMO) into populist government. With a vast bulk of voters fixed unthinkingly on their voting habits and a small promiscuous minority of swing-voters holding the keys to the safe from moment to moment, politicians will invariably cleave to the votes that count from moment to moment.

Being Seen To Be Doing Something is the new politics, folks. "In a democracy, the people get the government they deserve".
  14. Voting habits...habitual behaviour often requires no thought...