Britain 1 Europe 0

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Swoop, Sep 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bout bleedin time an' all.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/11/britannia_triumphant/

The EU will abandon all pretentions to enforce its filthy metric system on Britain, thereby guaranteeing once-and-for-all an Englishman's right to sup ale in pints, buy spuds by the pound, and measure the distance between the greengrocer and the boozer in miles, or yards if you're lucky.

That's according to the BBC, which says the European Commission will, in future, leave all decisions regarding weights and measures to the British Government, which "had been due to set a date for phasing out all its imperial measurements within three years".

The decision is a triumph for the so-called "metric martyrs", inspired by late Sunderland grocer Steve Thorburn, who refused point-blank to sell goods in garlic-tainted kilograms, in the process earning himself a criminal conviction for flogging bananas by the pound.

The surrender was offered by European Commission's industry commissioner Gunter Verheugen, who admited to the Beeb "the EU had been making itself unpopular on an issue that didn't really matter".

A humiliated Verheugen offered: "I organised a huge consultation, and the result was that industry told us there was no problem with the existing system. I want to bring to an end a bitter, bitter battle that has lasted for decades and which, in my view, is completely pointless. We're bringing this battle to an end."

While the EU's backdown will preserve for future generations the ounce, the quart and the furlong, it also opens the door for the adoption of Vulture Central's own standards, including the grapefuit (gf), linguine (lg), the nanoWales (nWa) and, of course, the maximum speed of a sheep in a vacuum, viz: 2997.5 km/sec for those of you still measuring these things in old money.

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I hate to be picky but so fcuking what? I can see the headlines tomorrow SUN COMES UP SHOCKER

3. The EU will abandon all pretentions to enforce its filthy metric system on Britain, thereby guaranteeing once-and-for-all an Englishman's right to sup ale in pints, buy spuds by the pound, and measure the distance between the greengrocer and the boozer in miles, or yards if you're lucky.

That's according to the BBC, which says the European Commission will, in future, leave all decisions regarding weights and measures to the British Government, which "had been due to set a date for phasing out all its imperial measurements within three years".

The decision is a triumph for the so-called "metric martyrs", inspired by late Sunderland grocer Steve Thorburn, who refused point-blank to sell goods in garlic-tainted kilograms, in the process earning himself a criminal conviction for flogging bananas by the pound.

The surrender was offered by European Commission's industry commissioner Gunter Verheugen, who admited to the Beeb "the EU had been making itself unpopular on an issue that didn't really matter".

A humiliated Verheugen offered: "I organised a huge consultation, and the result was that industry told us there was no problem with the existing system. I want to bring to an end a bitter, bitter battle that has lasted for decades and which, in my view, is completely pointless. We're bringing this battle to an end."

While the EU's backdown will preserve for future generations the ounce, the quart and the furlong, it also opens the door for the adoption of Vulture Central's own standards, including the grapefuit (gf), linguine (lg), the nanoWales (nWa) and, of course, the maximum speed of a sheep in a vacuum, viz: 2997.5 km/sec for those of you still measuring these things in old money.

Is that the same filthy metric system that is far easier to use than the imperial system? The one that the British army adopted to improve its navigation skills?

How can a person be humiliated when he agrees that something doesn't need to be changed?

And how can a weight be garlic tainted?

I bet UKIP are w@nking themselvers into a coma over this!

4. It is merely smoke and mirrors designed to lull the people of our Islands into the false belief that the EU has our best interest at heart.

It is meaningless because once Broon betrays us and imposes the dictatorial constitution on us, we will have no real rights and the EU will be able to impose any legislation it sees fit.

A small victory .... yes, but as in a game of chess, the EU have sacrificed a pawn, that is all.

5. The Cad - how can you say that we will have no rights under EU law? Its not as if the Nazis are getting back into power and the British are the new problem? Of course we have rights under EU law - probably better ones than we have now.

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

From the Beeb:

However, campaigners on both sides of the debate have played down the significance of the announcement.

John Gardner, director of the pro-imperial British Weights and Measures Association, said: "I've seen the European Commission statement and what they're saying is it will be allowed to use imperial measurements as additional information.

"We think that the European Commission statement is extremely misleading.

"From our point of view the situation hasn't changed and the campaign goes on.

"If a trader tries to conduct his business in just imperial measurements that will be illegal."

'Business as usual'

The UK Metric Association said the statement does not mean that traders can go back to weighing and pricing in imperial measures, and it will be "business as usual".

Chairman Robin Paice said: "While we regret this proposal to prolong the current muddle of metric and imperial units, it will only delay but not stop the inevitable move toward all-metric shopping.

"Many of the big supermarkets have already stopped giving obsolete imperial prices, and we expect this trend to continue. There is no question of going backwards."

Nobody is happy apparently.
    A pint of bitter or a 33cl bottle of Becks - seems we can cope with both.....

I was glad I was able to do my Physics "O" level in metric otherwise I would have been sat there for the rest of the year :D
    But who wants "0.45lt of Mankstons Beard Curler bitter please".

7. Really? Then please explain how we vote EU commissioners out of their posts, explain how the EU is accountable to the people of the UK at the ballot box?

Please don't mention representative democracy as our supposed PM, hasn't even been elected by his own party and certainly cannot be voted out by the English people, yet he can sign our rights away.

The only people who benefit from so called Rights laws are the criminals and the lawyers, the rest of us just pay the cost in Tax and in rising crime.

The EU is merely the 4th Reich.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

9. That's the bit that mattered, as they are now going to concentrate on the unpopular issues that do matter!

This argument has always missed the point - products should be priced according to the measure they are sold in. I don't want my 500g box of shreddies priced in pence per pound, I don't want my litre of milk priced in pence per pint. Equally, I don't want my pint priced in pence per litre. The EU actually made this harder by proscribing units of sale, i.e. until recently you could only sell a half or full loaf of bread. If they now sell potatoes in kilo bags, then price it in kilos, I couldn't give a rat's arse. The only issue I have is where there is clearly one unit that makes sense to human intuition, I know what 6 foot tall means, but god knows what that is in metres and centimetres, because you can't visualise it, and I have grown up knowing how long a metre is

10. Metric, simple and easy to use.
    Imperial, fcuking stupid that only old farts, old cars and pubs like to use.

yes I agree about the UKIP and every fat tory will be blowing fluid ounces/gills/pints and gallons of man paste over this one.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I agree that metric is easier for counting in but I went through school during the changeover and was fecked! My parents taked in shillings and I didntknow where to look. Even the Gerries hang on to an old measurement, Pfund as in Ein Pfund Zwiebeln. Roughly a pound of onions as its closest equivalent is half a kilo. If Gerry can order in this lingo and not be burnt at the stake then why cant we be left alone until we die out!
    I really object to the weather in millimeters. Now the local weather girl says it in inches as well, a doffed cap to us wrinklies on the sunshine coast!

12. The_Cad is, as he is so often, absolutely right with his opinion of the European Soviet Union. However, he forget to mention UNACCOUNTABLE and INAUDITABLE.

'Windbag' Kinnock - a former unelected, unaccountable, un-sackable Commissar - appointed a woman to '.......sort out the accounts and impose measures to discover and stamp out fraud.....' - or words to that effect.

When she reported that fraud was endemic and the accounts were not auditable, instead of having her honoured in some way he suspended her!

The European Soviet Union accounts have not been signed off by auditors for eleven years or more! The whole concept is a device for politicians of all hues and their bureaucratic henchmen to bury their snouts in a bottomless trough of OUR, YOUR, money.

13. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I fear I'm walking slap bang into a Wah here but it's from the Register and it's a pisstake of the expected Scum/Daily Heil headlines.

14. The metric system is only easier to use for the uneducated masses our education system has been churning out for the last 30 years.
    Us oldies had absolutely no problem with 20 shillings to the pound, 12d to the shilling etc. We all knew there were 8 half crowns in a real pound and could add and subtract the cost of shopping without resorting to calculators. Looking at the dimwits of today using an electronic brain to work out how much change you get from 10 quid when something costs 9.75 is a joy to behold.
    I also bet when you see a tall guy you say "he's six foot plus" rather than "I bet he's at least 1.8 metres".
    The litre is now the standard measure for petrol so you don't think your being ripped off when they price it in gallons (so how come we still say a care does 30 mpg?) I also bet you think the old measurements are an anachronysm when they really meant something (mile, how fast you could gallop a horse before resting, a foot - the size of your foot, a yard - this distance from your nose to your outstretched thumb, an acre - the amount a man and horse could plough in a day) instead of Napoleon's purely arbitrary system of measures which mean absolutely nothing. If you had your way, we'd be driving on the right which is another thing Napoleon forced on his conquered countries just because he had something to prove.
    Nothing wrong with Imperial measures, it's why the Spams still use them

15. and that's why the eu has binned the ruling (fatwa?), because our cousins over the pond still like to buy timber as 4 by 2, 8 by 4 etc, they understand pounds, miles and so on, and europe would like to carry on being able to sell them stuff. what matter politics when there's money to be made?
    try cyprus, went metric years ago, after independence, but if you want to buy spuds you order an "oke"!