"Brit troops on standby for poss Ivory Coast extraction

UK Troops on Ivory Coast Standby

By Jon Smith, PA Political Editor

British troops are on standby to go to Ivory Coast in case they are needed to rescue British nationals from the strife-torn country.

Downing Street confirmed tonight “several hundred” UK citizens were involved and a spokesman said the “usual contingency plans” had been made to evacuate them and British Embassy staff from the capital Abidjan.

A company of between 100-120 UK troops is believed to have been put on standby to fly out to secure the route from the embassy to the airport, if needed.
source: PA News via Scotsman website
http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3741978

I bet HMS Ocean is being warmed up too.....

having read the BBC report it seems asif Chirac is ready to behave as Bush does, have not heard anybody shooting him down in flames about it, as for who can go I am sure thatthe rose coloured specs give the impression that there are plenty to spare.

Zofo said:
When do we run out of troops?
Probably by the end of the month at this rate, these clowns of Pollies are believing their own bullshite, like Hitler in the last days of the Third Reich, phantom Armies being moved around that did not exist. :evil:

wouldn't it be oh so ironic if the French find themselves embroiled deeply in their former colonies , and the U.N. wont help them so they have to come beret in hand to the u.s. and britain for help

"troops , yeah of course me old froggy chum , no problem , oh , just one thing .....suck my c*ck first you backstabbing pr*ck" :D

I think the whole of 16th airborne detachment should be used to sort out the problem there, then make the relatively short hop across a few international borders and pay Mr Mugabe a visit!!!!! :twisted:

Agent smith

PS i realise that a large number of 16th airborne detachment (or whatever they are called) are currently in iraq or somewhere else in the world!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4005515.stm

Britons pulled out of Ivory Coast

UK troops have begun taking around 400 Britons living in the troubled west African state of Ivory Coast to safety.
An Army Gurkha regiment has been sent to neighbouring Ghana to support the evacuation and Navy helicopters and RAF planes have also been deployed.

The operation follows the resumption of Ivory Coast's civil war, which has also seen violent anti-European protests.

The Foreign Office has advised Britons to take enough food and water to last 48 hours and one piece of 20kg baggage.

It said the British embassy would ensure passage to the airport for a flight to Accra, Ghana, but that UK nationals should bring money for any onward travel from Ghana.

Abidjan has been the scene of looting and riots

A statement on the FO website warns: "The political and security situation remains volatile. You should therefore take care on the roads on your way to the reception centres."

France earlier began evacuating its citizens after days of anti-French demonstrations.

Trouble flared after nine French peacekeepers were killed and President Jacques Chirac ordered the destruction of Ivory Coast's air force.

France has played a lead role in international peacekeeping in Ivory Coast - a former colony - after President Laurent Gbagbo broke an 18-month ceasefire with rebels bombing their positions and killing the nine French soldiers.

The decision to destroy the African nation's small air force prompted riots against French and other foreign nationals.

Military reconnaissance

In a Commons written statement on Thursday, UK Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon said the FO had requested the evacuation of British nationals after a military reconnaissance of the situation in Ivory Coast earlier this week.

After the evacuation, the British Embassy in Abidjan will remain closed until further notice.

"If you decide to remain, there will be no-one from the British Government to assist you should the situation deteriorate again," Mr Hoon said.

The Gurkhas flew into Accra, Ghana's capital, on Wednesday and are on "immediate notice" to move into Ivory Coast to help British people get out of the country should it become necessary.

Foreigners are flown out from Abidjan airport

But not all the Britons in Ivory Coast are leaving.

Helen Wilson, a linguist for a non-governmental organisation who is staying in Abidjan, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme she had not gone outside for six days.

"On Sunday we had a small scare - a group of young people came to our building and it seemed like they wanted to break in, because a lot of people were breaking into French houses and looting.

"But fortunately the neighbours are very kind and they said it's true there are white people here but they're not French and then they went on and didn't bother us.

We felt that it's hard for large mobs of roaming people to distinguish between French and other white-skinned people

John Sullivan
Save the Children

"Personally I'm committed to staying here. I really hope that as things calm down we can actually continue our work here."

Meanwhile, John Sullivan, head of Save the Children's operations in Ivory Coast, told the programme attacks on foreigners were relatively indiscriminate.

"Much of the rhetoric on television and public radio was very incendiary and we felt that it's hard for large mobs of roaming people to distinguish between French and other white-skinned people, who seem to be the focus of attacks," he said.

Mr Sullivan was taken to Ghana by the Canadian government on Wednesday night where he is awaiting the arrival of other colleagues.
But fortunately the neighbours are very kind and they said it's true there are white people here but they're not French and then they went on and didn't bother us.
:D :D :D :D :D

its the Gurkhas going isnt it? they were also the ones who went into West Africa last time, when they went to Sierra Leone early 2003.

Typical of Blair - send the Gurkhas in then don't pay them the same pension as anyone else - he should be ashamed but sadly would appear not to know the meaning of the word

:cry:

But fortunately the neighbours are very kind and they said it's true there are white people here but they're not French and then they went on and didn't bother us.
In retrospect I may have been a bit quick to judge the good people of the Ivory Coast.

"Much of the rhetoric on television and public radio was very incendiary and we felt that it's hard for large mobs of roaming people to distinguish between French and other white-skinned people, who seem to be the focus of attacks," he said
I think you'll find a large one of these
will do the trick nicely.

Agent_Smith said:
I think the whole of 16th airborne detachment should be used to sort out the problem there, then make the relatively short hop across a few international borders and pay Mr Mugabe a visit!!!!! :twisted:

Agent smith

PS i realise that a large number of 16th airborne detachment (or whatever they are called) are currently in iraq or somewhere else in the world!
Now THATS a plan! wait one, I'll get my pliers and blowtorch! :twisted:

Latest Threads