• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Brit sldr found dead of GSW

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
More sad news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4130573.stm

The BBC said:
UK soldier is found dead in Iraq

An investigation has been launched into the death of the soldier

A British soldier has been found dead with a gunshot wound in Iraq, according to the Ministry of Defence (MoD).

Sergeant Paul Connolly was discovered at Shaibah Logistic Base, south west of Basra, on Sunday. The MoD said the death was being investigated but "initial inquiries do not indicate hostile action or other suspicious circumstances".

Sgt Connolly, 33, came from Crawley in West Sussex, and was separated, with three children.

The death brings the total number of fatalities among UK service personnel to 75.

Sgt Connolly served with the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers, attached to 21 Engineer Regiment of the Royal Engineers.

He was a highly capable soldier and a hugely popular character who was widely respected and admired
Lt Colonel Nick Cavanagh
Commanding officer

British casualties in Iraq

In a statement, the MoD said: "He joined the REME in 1989 and, after initial military training, became a metalsmith.

"He progressed to become a master welder, responsible for fabricating and welding a wide range of military equipment."

Sgt Connolly took part in operations and exercises in various countries including Germany, Northern Ireland, Bosnia and Kosovo.

He was deployed in Iraq in October to help rebuild the infrastructure in southern Iraq.

Lieutenant Colonel Nick Cavanagh, the commanding officer of 21 Engineer Regiment, said: "Paul's death is a real tragedy and a terrible shock for his many comrades both in the regiment and the wider family of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.

"He was a highly capable soldier and a hugely popular character who was widely respected and admired. He will be sorely missed."

Difficult to tell from the wording, but if it was an ND they might have said it was an accident. Found on Boxing Day though poor b*gger. RIP

Does anyone know or is it possible to obtain the number of Non en actions deaths amongs troops in Iraq ?
Up to mid 80's the Armys insureance service published the annual figures for deaths thsy had paid out on. Then figures became harder to obtain.
john

E

error_unknown

tomahawk6 said:
I'll bet that accidents account for at least 40% of the fatalities. Thats about our rate.
40% of non-enemy related deaths or 40% of all deaths? My experience in Iraq was that US personnel tended to be somewhat more casual about discharging their firearms: there were a disturbingly large number of bulletholes in and around the unloading bay at the Tallil Airbase px, for example, which would have raised eyebrows in Basra. I can only recall one accidental firearms fatality for the Brits when i was out there, compared to several apparently heat-related deaths (though my driver came within an inch of having his foot shot off by a civilian security knob having an ND with an MP5).

Rest In Peace...

However.com

could have been a stray round some jundi tosser was firing into the air 3km away "acting all hard" they have to land somewhere.

Rincewind

Condolences to his kids.

Whatever the outcome from the investigations, its still very sad news at the loss of another Brit Soldier, thoughts go out to his family and kids also :( . Theres never a good time for this type of announcement but at this time of year its even more sorrowful :cry: RIP

i knew sergeant paul connolly, he was a good man and he enjoyedhis job. he loved his family very much.

my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this terrible time and what ever the out come he will be very sadly missed.

rip mate xxx :(

Latest Threads