Brit Skydivers Collide Over California

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tomahawk6, Aug 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I suspect we have been sending mil f/fallers [sf?] to America for years because of the crap weather encountered in the UK, cutbacks/lack of facilities and theerefore more expeditious and probably cheaper to train there than here. I also hope they recover well.

2. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

If its Elsinore its a sports incident. I'm not aware of any mil parachuting center near there. Thoughts with them and hope for a recovery.

3. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Mil AT expeds have been using Elsinore (and Perris) for years, nice place, good people, well run DZ and I suspect that they'll be pretty cut up about this. Wish a speedy recovery to the two blokes involved.

4. Lots of USMC activity in Calif, the SEAL's lob down at Trident DZ near San Diego, Yuma is over the border in Arizona, plenty going on quietly.

My local DZ is mainly a sport DZ but every other week we get some of THEIRS or PJ's for a day or two of training. The Oirish were over late last summer - too organised to not have been military, at least the only people I have ever seen march whilst hung over have been military. For the 3 months up until xmas we had the Qattari SF doing statics then civvy AFF followed by some pretend MFF. The lunchtime entertainment was watching them fly into the fence whilst their Iman, who behaved like a badge man, paced backwards and forwards bollocking them...........and beware if any of them were caught looking at big titty DZ babes.

5. Yuma is one of the American forces principal test centres a sort of equivalent to our Boscombe Down. It also provides the Winter training base for the Golden Knights or at least used to in my generation. UK military detachments have in the past gone to NAF El Centro near Mexcali in Southern California for self contained jump programmes or slotted themselves into Fort Bragg / Pope AFB for sponsored descents with ongoing military jump courses. Camp Mackall (sp?) used to provide the military sport week-ends in the Ft. Bragg zone.

6. Pretty devastating accident. I hope they both make a full recovery.

7. Word on the street has it that it was an AT not MFF drop, low altitude canopy collision.

Not much you could do if that happens bar popping your reserve to get as much silk out there as possible and praying.

8. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Without going into detail (for fairly obvious reasons) it was definitely AT and not mil trg.

9. Damn, I thought it might be AT. If so, and if it is the exped I know is there, I was enjoying some beers with the group the night before they left (same time, same place kind of affair) - a good bunch. I wish all a speedy recovery.

10. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

They quite often have multiple expeds running over there so may be best not to jump to a conclusion just yet.

11. ****ing dismal place El Centro, travelled thru as a tourist in '87. I recall it was where a lot of the really high altitude stuff went on - Kittinger and the like. Yuma is where they do the second phase of the US SF MFF course after playing in the dragon at Fort Bragg.

Found this a few years ago when I was researching a scribble project:

[​IMG]

1962, 22 SAS HALO Course in the USA.

12. Indeed, the thoughts cross one's mind though. Speedy recovery whoever it is!

13. Check his post history mate, that will answere your question!