Brit Commander in Iraq declares "Mission accomplished"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, Mar 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. By mission 'accomplished', did he mean stabilising Iraq and issuing in a strong, confident and secure democratic state? Or getting out with his arrse intact?

2. Option B!

3. Im sure I have heard that somewhere before.Something to do with an aircraft carrier and a mahoosive banner.

4. The yanks did that last week ! --------- What are we playing now? -------- follow the yank? ------- Looks a bit pathetic to me ! :? :?

5. I bow to the superior intellect of this acknowledged military authority. Gentlemen, the greatest military leader of our time, ALVIN.

6. Oh good Christ, please tell me he didn't use that actual phrase but that the article was paraphrasing him.

7. Even though Option A was what was achieved...

8. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Even if true was it really down to us, I mean really?

9. Ooorrr, I am most humbled by your kind comments sir, God bless you. :D

10. I was talking about the overall situation, not our efforts. In truth, I'd rather this turned out as an overall victory in which our contribution was less than stellar than a defeat in which we did our upmost.

11. Hmmmmm!

I suggest the proof of the pudding will be whether Iraq remains stable and "a strong, confident and secure democratic state" in 5 years time. After the 150,000 foreign troops have departed, the ones who have been propping up one side in a vicious civil war, will things remain as they are today?

Or was the 'mission' simply to reverse the problems 'we' created with the invasion, leave, and then say not our problem what happens now?

12. Oh great, now we're f***ing jinxed! :(

13. I agree, 5 years until we'll know for sure. But saying that we only fixed the problems we created is a bit like blaming us fighting the Germans for the communists nearly taking over Greece.