Brit Celebs and Aldershot Barracks

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by abrecan, Nov 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My old Dad and me were just talking. He reckons that while at Mons Barracks Aldershot during his Officer training (?/??) (apparently behind St Omer) he knew Arthur English in Aldershot.

Mons Barracks anyone???

IMDB says:

"Arthur English: Born in Aldershot, Hants, English started his career at an early age appearing in amateur shows but did not become a professional performer until he was 30. He served in the Army during World War Two and after being demobbed worked as a painter and decorator."

...."His greatest success on tv was as the janitor Mr Harman in the cult series "Are You Being Served?" (1972)." My Dad reckons he was also with Alf Garnett (Til Death Us Do Part) dunno about that though.

Now then: in 1976 I remember being at the 'Shot in training, and there was one of those old fashioned Filling Stations (can't remember where exactly) and a photo of Arthur English was pinned inside its window. A few weeks later there he was large as life. I didn't speak to him but it was him.

Google throws up a wealth of detail about Mr English, who apparently done in his bit in WW2, DID live in Aldershot, and passed away sad to say, there too.

This link: also throws up some stuff too.

Anyone know of other celebrities stories in the 'Shot? (no not infamous squaddies :lol: )
  2. Jim Davidson turned up to the 15th anniversary of the Falklands and was a gobby dick to the guys stagging on Browning Bks.

Alchoholic wifebeaters gawd blessem.
  3. Yep used to see him around the shot in the 70's had a wife about 1/3 his age. No wonder he was always smiling.
  4. Wasn't his wife (Louise I think) one of (Benny) Hill's Angels?
  5. Mons was the officer trg sch for those too thick for Sandbags but too well bred for life in the ranks IIRC!
  6. : :idea:

Wiki says: :arrow:
    "Following the death of his wife Ivy (who made his enormous kipper tie at the beginning of his career), late in life English married a young dancer, Teresa, that he met during one of his stage shows, and had a child with her - Clare Louise English. The late John Inman and Jack Douglas were the child's godparents. The marriage was later dissolved."

"Arthur English died in 1995 due to complications from emphysema. His ashes were interred in a plot at Aldershot Crematorium."

"He had been president of Aldershot Town F.C. which had been formed out of the ashes of Aldershot F.C. The new club badge depicted a rising phoenix and was designed by English."