Bristol - World coke head Capital

Genuine examples from my time as a copper in ‘ar’cliffe...

“What make was your motorbike that was stolen?”
“It was an ‘ondal.”

“What car were the men you saw driving?”
“They woz in a Cortinal.”

And finally, from a woman about her husband...

“Lock him up, he’s a cycle path!”

(Incidentally I bumped into her in the Mandrake Club a few weeks later, and she was very appreciative of my help )

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Brizzle seems to be the capital for motorbike theft

I rather like the city
it has some real characters, and one road I drive along is full of camper vans and caravans with hippies living in them
peace man

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
eres a brizzle fact

Downend can proudly boast the only Boy Scout War Memorial on public land in the country, erected in 1921 in memory of members of the 1st Downend Scout Troop who lost their lives in the great war of 1914-1918.

1552692673916.png

I was born in Sodding Chipbury and spent my formative years in Gate..

King Edmund's school, Double O 2 pub, White Lion, Swan. The farm where the courts are now. The Navy stores, the ashtrack, Abbotswood where Paul Rogers was murdered. Newman's, Parnell's, Terry Norman at the bike shop.

I'm getting all nostalgic
We moved out to Wotton-under-Edge so for shopping it was the bus to either Yate or Bristol. I’ve not heard it called Sodding Chipbury since my mother died 25 years ago!

I’ll join you in nostalgia

We moved out to Wotton-under-Edge so for shopping it was the bus to either Yate or Bristol. I’ve not heard it called Sodding Chipbury since my mother died 25 years ago!

I’ll join you in nostalgia
Can you remember before the first extension to the shopping centre? When there was a garden centre next to the Stars & Stripes? Must have been early 70's.

I used to do a paper round up Church Road when it was all farms beyond the Church. That bit used to be the RAF base.

Can you remember before the first extension to the shopping centre? When there was a garden centre next to the Stars & Stripes? Must have been early 70's.

I used to do a paper round up Church Road when it was all farms beyond the Church. That bit used to be the RAF base.
I don’t really remember the before bit but definitely remember it being built. There was hell to pay from small traders in towns for miles around. This great big new adventure, all your shopping in one place!

The traders were right. Yate Shopping Centre was a shit hole from D+1.

Patchway, Filton, Abbey Wood, Cribbs Causeway, all unrecognisable. The latter was dense woodland and my old man was involved in the Scouts there. BAC (long before BAe came along) paid for the hut to be relocated when they extended the Filton runway to accommodate Concorde trials. As for the bit around Parkway station, I can remember that when it was literally in the middle of nowhere. That’s progress I guess?

I don’t really remember the before bit but definitely remember it being built. There was hell to pay from small traders in towns for miles around. This great big new adventure, all your shopping in one place!

Patchway, Filton, Abbey Wood, Cribbs Causeway, all unrecognisable. The latter was dense woodland and my old man was involved in the Scouts there. BAC (long before BAe came along) paid for the hut to be relocated when they extended the Filton runway to accommodate Concorde trials. As for the bit around Parkway station, I can remember that when it was literally in the middle of nowhere. That’s progress I guess?
I remember a shunting yard around Parkway area where we could sit overlooking the trains. Precious McKenzie lived on Conygre Grove. Fools & Horses was filmed on Sheppard Road. Walked from Keys Avenue to the Memorial Ground for the rugby.

We're starting to sound like a couple of scousers!

I remember a shunting yard around Parkway area where we could sit overlooking the trains. Precious McKenzie lived on Conygre Grove. Fools & Horses was filmed on Sheppard Road. Walked from Keys Avenue to the Memorial Ground for the rugby.

We're starting to sound like a couple of scousers!
Not wi' dat accent la.

my sister used to live in cotham lots of old disused shops near by waiting on regeneration.
most start up drug related enterprises, places like kingswood are a drug paradise and chav city.
Totally agree, I lived in Hanham, about a mile from Kingswood. The place is a shithole. Chasers, the nightclub was a haven for underage drinking and drugs. Glad I've now moved out into the sticks

I used to work for AXA near Parkway. Some nice woodland still around.