Bringing shotgun into UK

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by medwaymud, Sep 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Guys , I am probably moving back to UK soon from Greece ( EU) and want to bring my trusty Remington 1187 back to blast a few pigeons with. I have a Greek Shotgun License.
    Whats the score ? Transportation through Customs, storeage, Proofing, UK License.
  2. Customs can detain it for 6 months until you get the paperwork sorted out. Getting UK cert shouldn't take too long, but if they require background checks from the Greek authorities this might lengthen the process.

    I'd contact the licensing dept now and see what they can do for you. I don't know what they are like for shotguns but I suppose you will need to have a home visit and cabinet installed before they issue the cert.

    Sadly, your Greek or EU Firearms pass is not recognised in the UK for import purposes.

    Sec 2 shotguns are single shot, side by side, O/U or semi auto 2+1 capacity. Anymore than 2+1 will require a Firearms Certificate. Barrell lengths and overall length come into it somewhere too.
  3. ugly

    ugly LE Moderator

    Near but not quite right, you have described section 2 shotguns, section 1 are firearms. OP are you importing or visiting? If visiting then no problem an EU FP willl get you a visitors permit but you need to be sponsored
    I have used the Met plod web site here but whoever sponsors you will need to do a little paperwork.
    I have done this before and it is very simple.
    This is in addition to the EU firearms rules and we are the only EU firearms compliant country to do this!
    Your sponsor doesnt need to have a license here!
  4. Yes you are right, Sec 1 firearms sec 2 shotguns. I got it back to front.

    So a VSGP might get the gun into the UK without Customs having to detain it pending an issue of an SGC? Sounds like a cunning plan.
  5. ugly

    ugly LE Moderator

    An EFP and a sponsor form, EFP original not copy to accompany sponsor form! Bear in mind the old bill take about 5-6 weeks to do anything down here at the moment!
  6. No need for proof unless and until you sell it.
  7. I will be importing the gun as the job will last at least 3 years - hopefully until retirement.
    I do not have an EU Firearms Permit - just a Greek one.
    I have just emailed the local Constabulary (Cardiff area ) for their comments re: import, getting licence, rough shooting, no criminal record etc.
    Many thanks for your help.
    Oh...and by the way- I may just be needing a Shed.........
  8. ugly

    ugly LE Moderator

    Get an EU efp, they should be free, get a sponsor, bring the guns in, get a local shotgun cert and put them on it!