Bring back the FLRT JCB 410

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by tank6275, Feb 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone else hate the new* JCB FLRT or is it just me?

*being TA we've only just got them, not sure how long they have been in regular service though

2. Why do you hate them?

Not a JCab op myself, but i've seen the 410 have limitations.

For instance it was unable to full unload a side opening ISO completely whilst the ISO is on a vehicle. The new ones with reach will be able to do this.

3. The new ones havn't got the same cross country capability as the 410's and also the one that we have doesnt have side shift forks. I believe there is capability for them but reduces the weight it can lift.
    Ive not had much time in either of them as not much need to use them but when i have operated them much prefer the 410 for field of vision and ability to do minor adjustments when loading ie using inner carriage and side shift

4. I never liked the new JCB initially but when we used them on Op Outload I found they beat the old 410 hands down. With practice a good operator can do the same job in half the time and the reach means no more spooning of pallets onto beds.

5. guess i just need to get more use with it. Problem is with us we never really need to use J cabs anymore and they rarely get taken on FTX

6. As everyone syas the new JCB does take getting used to but after a bit it does have advantages. Operator vision of the forks is a bit restricted but then you get used to it. All ours have side shift so i can see where this would be difficult with out it. Another good thing is its ideal to charge up your mobile phones on ex!!

7. Would be nice if they bunged in some aircon though. Can't be very nice to operate in the sandy places.

8. yea its not like the 410 when you could pin the door back, althought that was totally against operating procedures

9. Ah but they have that great fan for blowing round the hot air!!!!! :x :roll:
    But i do like the fact you can just go in and out of an iso to load them :D

10. Bring back the Eager Beaver!

11. My bad, found out today that we actually did initially recieve a new FLRT with side shift but it was returned to ALC a couple days later as they requested one without the side shift on!