Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bring back School Milk...

Oddly, although I hold knife & fork in the 'correct' hands for a left-hander (wasn't going to risk saying leftie) If i'm eating 'american style' i.e. fork only, it's in the opposite hand to usual - but if it's a spoon, it's back to the other side!
The place of lasting punishment I was sent to in the 70’s, if you were a boy and used your left hand you were beaten with a ruler and had the left hand tied to the desk or to your leg so you couldn’t use it.*
The reason being “Americans, girls and homosexuals use their left hand and by God we don’t want people thinking you‘re an American”. I swear to God I’m not kidding anyone with that statement I was 4 years old and can still Remember the hairy faced cow saying it to me still.

Back to the milk though I can remember in 76 we were made to drink the bloody stuff after in had turned ripe in the sun.....” there are people in Africa who would be great full for it” (well leave it another few hours and the stuff can walk there by its self.)

*supposedly this can cause mental problems (which would explain a lot) !!!

edit. your to you’re

Last edited:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
The place of lasting punishment I was sent to in the 70’s, if you were a boy and used your left hand you were beaten with a ruler and had the left hand tied to the desk or to your leg so you couldn’t use it.*
The reason being “Americans, girls and homosexuals use their left hand and by God we don’t want people thinking your American”. I swear to God I’m not kidding anyone with that statement I was 4 years old and can still Remember the hairy faced cow saying it to me still.

Back to the milk though I can remember in 76 we were made to drink the bloody stuff after in had turned ripe in the sun.....” there are people in Africa who would be great full for it” (well leave it another few hours and the stuff can walk there by its self.)

*supposedly this can cause mental problems (which would explain a lot) !!!
My parents were 'ok' with it, my grandparents took some time to get used to it, occasionally gently encouraging me to favour the right (didn't work - if anything, it made me equally able with both hands). At college it gave me an edge in fencing of all things - swordsmanship that is, not erecting agricultural demarcations.

I was originally from the Yorkshire Dales, we moved to Lancashire in the early 70's due to my Fathers work. At that time there was an education system in Lancashire called ITA (initial teaching aid) which focussed on phonetics (presumably because Lancs were as thick as fcuk and couldn't spell or read proper English). Because i'd learnt to read & write in 'normal' English before crossing the border, this ITA nonsense put me behind in the schools measure of development, consequentially, I was sent to the 'remedial room' with the mongs, divs and kids with eye patches and pink glasses for an hour a day until I was old enough to move on to 'proper' English, when I went to pretty much the top of the class, much to the pleasure of my parents and the exasperation of my teachers.

At that time there was an education system in Lancashire called ITA (initial teaching aid) which focussed on phonetics (presumably because Lancs were as thick as fcuk and couldn't spell or read proper English).

I was told York Teacher Training Colleague / University was big into ITA

I did ITA in a CofE Primary in the early 80's

As you may spot from my postings, my written skill are shite

My parents were 'ok' with it, my grandparents took some time to get used to it, occasionally gently encouraging me to favour the right (didn't work - if anything, it made me equally able with both hands). At college it gave me an edge in fencing of all things - swordsmanship that is, not erecting agricultural demarcations.

I was originally from the Yorkshire Dales, we moved to Lancashire in the early 70's due to my Fathers work. At that time there was an education system in Lancashire called ITA (initial teaching aid) which focussed on phonetics (presumably because Lancs were as thick as fcuk and couldn't spell or read proper English). Because i'd learnt to read & write in 'normal' English before crossing the border, this ITA nonsense put me behind in the schools measure of development, consequentially, I was sent to the 'remedial room' with the mongs, divs and kids with eye patches and pink glasses for an hour a day until I was old enough to move on to 'proper' English, when I went to pretty much the top of the class, much to the pleasure of my parents and the exasperation of my teachers.
I'm basically ambidextrous, I'll do things right handed when convention has it but otherwise the closest limb is good to go.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Came here to say "nap time" five year old me was wtf is this about.
I remember going to nursery school, in winter I wanted to be outside, in summer I was inside, my reasoning was simple, I realised that the weather meant other kids wanted to be outside if it was warm and inside if it was cold, If I did the opposite, there was no competition for the toys inside or the swings & slide outside....

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm basically ambidextrous, I'll do things right handed when convention has it but otherwise the closest limb is good to go.
I'm amphibious - I can swim with both hands

School milk was fine if it was served ice cold, the trouble was it was only ever served lukewarm after being stored by a radiator

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I did ITA in a CofE Primary in the early 80's

As you may spot from my postings, my written skill are shite
You have my sympathies - a lot of people have their 'intellect' judged on their written skills, without taking into account how the education system may have hobbled their progress.

NSP

LE
I loved it.

For all those in the Croydon Shooting Thread carping on about how shit School Milk was....
It was shit. Even in winter when its few hours on the school doorstep would have kept it relatively chilled.

Adam E. was a lucky bugger in my year, being lactose intolerant and thus equipped with a Fablon'd note from his mum excusing him milk, mornings for the consumption of.

Sexton Blake

War Hero
School milk was fine if it was served ice cold, the trouble was it was only ever served lukewarm after being stored by a radiator
Quite a few references here about the correlation between school milk and ‘storage’ next to radiators.

I don’t know what your remembrance is but at my primary school the rads must have been powered by molten lava pumped up directly from the earths core.

How we didn’t get jail time for tying up classmates to a radiator ‘for a laugh’ during breaks is beyond me.

Kids today, hurumph etc.

Quite a few references here about the correlation between school milk and ‘storage’ next to radiators.

I don’t know what your remembrance is but at my primary school the rads must have been powered by molten lava pumped up directly from the earths core.

How we didn’t get jail time for tying up classmates to a radiator ‘for a laugh’ during breaks is beyond me.

Kids today, hurumph etc.
Similar memories. Big old cast iron radiators that burnt you if you touched them.

I do wonder whether the molten lava only ran during summer. Summer months, our village school was plagued by pikey kids aka “Smelly Gypoes” who always got hosed down in the playground and tied to the radiators to dry out. The Headmaster made me eat soap for washing a gypoe girl with a floor mop.

The place was fricking freezing mid winter.

1/3 pt when i was at school back in the late 50s. It was bloody awful stuff very few in my class could stomach it especially in the summer! The school even gave us some straws which contained some kind of flavouring in stripes wound around inside the straw like a barbers pole. (not that most of you will remember them) but it did nothing to improve the dreadful stuff! The only milk i can tolerate now is Lactose free skimmed and that only just!

It was shit. Even in winter when its few hours on the school doorstep would have kept it relatively chilled.

Adam E. was a lucky bugger in my year, being lactose intolerant and thus equipped with a Fablon'd note from his mum excusing him milk, mornings for the consumption of.
I also had a biff chit due to being lactose intolerant when very young (cleared up from my mid teens though for some reason) so I was made the milk monitor in several classes over the years until the free milk ended. Anyone remember what year that was?

I also had a biff chit due to being lactose intolerant when very young (cleared up from my mid teens though for some reason) so I was made the milk monitor in several classes over the years until the free milk ended. Anyone remember what year that was?

'71 according to this....

Latest Threads