Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bring back School Milk...

endure

GCM

PFGEN

GCM
Ours came in a pyramid shaped cartoon with a straw. Being in Scotland, leaving the crate outside was as good as having a refrigerator. Loved the stuff. Can't remember exactly but I think the name on the pack was Murchies.

Ours came in a pyramid shaped cartoon with a straw. Being in Scotland, leaving the crate outside was as good as having a refrigerator. Loved the stuff. Can't remember exactly but I think the name on the pack was Murchies.

Ours in Leeds came from the LICS. Leeds Industrial Cooperative Society.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Thumbs up for being corrected for “eating the wrong way round”.
I still have an issue with being humiliated in junior school over “knife in the wrong hand”. And I am right handed!
Oddly, although I hold knife & fork in the 'correct' hands for a left-hander (wasn't going to risk saying leftie) If i'm eating 'american style' i.e. fork only, it's in the opposite hand to usual - but if it's a spoon, it's back to the other side!

Thumbs up for being corrected for “eating the wrong way round”.
I still have an issue with being humiliated in junior school over “knife in the wrong hand”. And I am right handed!
Jnr Rid is a leftie.
When she started school, they wanted her to use right-handed scissors.
I told em where to get off, and bought a pair of 'lefty' ones for her, and used a rubberised dip to put on fluro orange handles.
Gave them to the idiot teacher, with a bit of paper, and said 'Ok, YOU make them work.'
Point made.

Ever noticed that since the demise of school milk, the 'matronly' teachers with huuuuuge bosoms also disappeared, only to be replace by pinch-faced little gingers with a voice that would sour yoghurt?
Just sayin.... those 1/4 pint bottles didn't warm themselves y'know ;)
1/3rd of a pint mucker, I was milk monitor at St Thomas Abney junior - infant school, Hackney, in 1955.:bow:

My first promotion....awaiting incoming sarkey remarks ...3...2...1...:oops:

Forces’ schools, even in warmer climes, were not exempt the 1/3 pt of milk regulation.
In Malta (58 - 64) it wasn’t too bad in the winter, but in the summer there wasn’t enough fresh milk around so we were given bottles of flavoured (banana, chocolate or strawberry) reconstituted dried milk. That was really gopping - particularly when it had been left out in the sun until break time.

We had those triangle one as well.... if you made a small enough hole with the straw, you could use it as a squirty milk/water pistol type weapon using the straw as the 'barrel ..

Only me then? ... sellotaped nails to the bamboo canes we used for arrows? poured lighter fuel on your clothes, set fire to yourself then ran up to old ladies with mock screams of agony?

Some people have absolutely no fecking imagination.

Last edited:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Cannot drink the stuff straight to this day as a result of that period.
A bit in tea, fresh butter (chilled) , icy cold milkshake with loads of other flavour.

Otherwise ...baaaarf.
You won't like this then..... got home from school, got glass from cupboard, cracked a couple of eggs into it, briefly stirred with fork. Topped up glass with milk without shaking bottle first - so mainly cream, quick stir with fork, drink & enjoy!

You won't like this then..... got home from school, got glass from cupboard, cracked a couple of eggs into it, briefly stirred with fork. Topped up glass with milk without shaking bottle first - so mainly cream, quick stir with fork, drink & enjoy!

An intelligent Nutritionist may have a more informed opinion than mine.

Which is baaaarf

I remember half an inch of white ice lifting the cap off the milk. Eating the literal iced cream was magic, but the milk underneath curdled as it melted. Like many gopping things from that stage of my life 'just get it down ya'.

Yer, I used to enjoy it - it was the only warm drink of the day...
Anyone remember the 1968 experiment of leaving the clocks on BST all year round?, IIRC it lasted into the 70's, we had to wear reflective belts on the way to & from school in winter - assuming we could get there - I remember one of the outlying farmers picking kids up on the way to school with his tractor & trailer, back in the day the teachers would make every effort to get there, not cry off because the heating was off or somesuch spineless crap. We still went to school, if there was (deep) snow on the ground, you were allowed long trousers if you wanted to wear them (not many did). You could wear wellies into school but had to change into school shoes once there. School dinners were.... school dinners - filled your stomach with something meaty and stodgy with a sugar-laced pudding, I was always being 'corrected' for eating left-handed. After lunch, it was out onto the playground to throw snowballs at the girls to make 'em scream and try and knock the dinnerladies fags out of their mouths without them seeing who threw it.

Warm milk made a man of you, like it or not!
don't forget the orange juice and cod liver oil,
and wearing short trousers and wellies which left the most painful ring around your calves in the winter snow,
the sass rejected me for being too ard.

Malt extract. Still love it when I can get some that don't have cod liver oil in it.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

Chef

LE
I'm from a small pit village in County Durham.
I'm used to the best

Well kudos for your business acumen - eight farthings (3d) would have been enough for my grandparents to live on for a week back in the day
[/QUOTE]

Ahem, four Farthings to the penny, so either your grandparents were living on 2d a day or they were living on 12 Farthings 3d.

But you knew that really and were just testing us.

PFGEN

GCM
Malt extract. Still love it when I can get some that don't have cod liver oil in it.

Great stuff. Always had a jar at home. One teaspoonful each per day in winter. Used to smear it on bread. Sometimes we'd smear some on both sides of the bread and give it to the dog where it would promptly stick itself to the roof of her mouth. Poor beastie would spend the next ten minutes like an epileptic trying to work it loose.

Well kudos for your business acumen - eight farthings (3d) would have been enough for my grandparents to live on for a week back in the day

Ahem, four Farthings to the penny, so either your grandparents were living on 2d a day or they were living on 12 Farthings 3d.

But you knew that really and were just testing us.
[/QUOTE]

You're forgetting the Lord of the Manor's cut - it was serfdom in those days.

PFGEN

GCM
don't forget the orange juice and cod liver oil,
and wearing short trousers and wellies which left the most painful ring around your calves in the winter snow,
the sass rejected me for being too ard.

Don't forget the duffel coat; normally fastened batman style round the neck when parents weren't looking.

Latest Threads