Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bring back School Milk...

Yokel

LE
It was SMP maths my primary school used, basically same principle as you describe..grab a card out of a box and work your way through on your tod...no learning of principles whatsoever. A fecking horrendous way to try and teach maths.

What did SMP stand for? When I was nineteen I had cause to go back, to seek help with some more advanced maths, and was told that KMP had been replaced by SMP.

At my primary school we had Maths textbooks from SPMG - the Scottish Primary Mathematics Group. Pretty good as I remember.

If he did, he nicked it off Billy Connelly.
Quite likely, the Geordie club comedians were partial to a bit of plagiarism.
I saw Bobby Hooper perform once, he did a 2 hour spot and never repeated himself once. These were happy days around the working mens clubs

Yokel

LE
'New Mathematics' was all I needed to know. Why on Earth did anyone think that was a good idea? I often think as Secondary School as being the weak link in my educational journey and the lack of coverage of fundamental principles caught up with me at College, University, and later in the workplace.

I was in a small year at school and another thing we missed out on was IT.

I
'New Mathematics' was all I needed to know. Why on Earth did anyone think that was a good idea? I often think as Secondary School as being the weak link in my educational journey and the lack of coverage of fundamental principles caught up with me at College, University, and later in the workplace.

I was in a small year at school and another thing we missed out on was IT.

Phew! I moved schools a lot like most on here but escaped New Maths. I seemed to have gone through various schools all with traditional teaching methds by old hands. Most of us seemed to have gone through the same mill of infant, junior and senior school with very similar experiences.

One thing I remember is Victoria Infants School in Hong Kong in the 70's and the daily milk was long life (UHT ?) milk. I'd never come across anything like it and very politely asked to be excused. Being polite and cute with blue eyes I was excused and given orange juice instead....the only one in the class. Life seems to have carried on in a similar way ;-)

It seems there are some common themes on this thread, such as PE teachers not worrying about things such as health and safety. I also remember encountering things such as main roads, farm animals, and barbed wire fences whilst cross country running, and a casual attitude to being knocked out with a cricket bat.

Games/PE teacher, Doug Digby, from The Grimleys, was a real life character in any 70s secondary school.

1601546661823.png

School lies:

1. The bigger they are the harder they fall. Possibly true, but the harder they hit.
2. The happiest days if your life - I have not net anyone who thought this.
3. He is trying to be your friend - oh really so why is he punching/spitting at me?
4. There is no bullying here
5. We have lost your cousework; but it does not matter.
6. We can teach Yokel the English language.

School lies:

1. The bigger they are the harder they fall. Possibly true, but the harder they hit.
2. The happiest days of your life - I have not yet anyone who thought this.
3. He is trying to be your friend - oh really so why is he punching/spitting at me?
4. There is no bullying here.
5. We have lost your cousework; but it does not matter.
6. "This will hurt me a lot more that it hurts you".

PFGEN

GCM
7 . " Fixed. Foc. He was a ******* liar.

View attachment 509393

That's not a proper tawse. Its more tickling stick as used by teachers who were good with colours. See the attached link for a proper tawse: Lochgelly Special. The extra heavy version was like being hit with a metal rod. It had no flex at all. F..king sadists! Some of the school staff would carry it over the shoulder under their jackets in which case a medium version was the only thing with sufficient bend in it. They were the ones used to belting at least one pupil per hour. A few prided themselves on how quickly they could "draw the gut". Others would bring the XH version out the drawer and admire it like some medieval torturer. I'm sure if they'd had the chance to place it first in a brazier to increase the pain they would have done so.

If the school hadn't grassed us up to our parents the swelling and blisters would tell their own story. This would result in a further leathering in case the first one had failed to deliver the message.

It was SMP maths my primary school used, basically same principle as you describe..grab a card out of a box and work your way through on your tod...no learning of principles whatsoever. A fecking horrendous way to try and teach maths.
I didn’t mind as the idiots left the answer cards in the boxes. I did very well that year.

That's not a proper tawse. Its more tickling stick as used by teachers who were good with colours. See the attached link for a proper tawse: Lochgelly Special. The extra heavy version was like being hit with a metal rod. It had no flex at all. F..king sadists! Some of the school staff would carry it over the shoulder under their jackets in which case a medium version was the only thing with sufficient bend in it. They were the ones used to belting at least one pupil per hour. A few prided themselves on how quickly they could "draw the gut". Others would bring the XH version out the drawer and admire it like some medieval torturer. I'm sure if they'd had the chance to place it first in a brazier to increase the pain they would have done so.

If the school hadn't grassed us up to our parents the swelling and blisters would tell their own story. This would result in a further leathering in case the first one had failed to deliver the message.

All true. Our tech teacher would put his between two planks of wood and compess them together in a woodwork vice. Sadistic bastard, took pride in his ability to install fear in us. slightest excuse and out it came, can still feel the pain just thinking about it.

Yokel

LE
All true. Our tech teacher would put his between two planks of wood and compess them together in a woodwork vice. Sadistic bastard, took pride in his ability to install fear in us. slightest excuse and out it came, can still feel the pain just thinking about it.

Proponents of physical punishments seem to forget about this. Some teachers would have got some sort of thrill from beating the kids - some may have been aroused by it. Was there any sort of system with safeguards or could teachers cane anyone?

You also hear stories of teachers supervising boys in the showers.

Proponents of physical punishments seem to forget about this. Some teachers would have got some sort of thrill from beating the kids - some may have been aroused by it. Was there any sort of system with safeguards or could teachers cane anyone?

Boys, Girls , And anyone who came within range.

Not sure about safeguards, never heard of any teacher getting into bother when dishing out his fantasy..

I remember a clearly sadistic student PE teacher back in the day who when leaving on his last day had (they were shipped in and out by coach) his coach sent on it's way with a friendly bombardment by most students that had met him.
People noticed that one.

PFGEN

GCM

The worst part of it was the injustice of some of the punishments. Don't get me wrong, we were often caught bang to rights and received what we deserved. On the other hand I reckon some 30% of the time it was on trumped up or fictitious charges. That left me with a strong feeling for what justice is.

Nobody was free from the beatings dished out by the teaching staff.

How about this one. Dance practice for the school Christmas dance. Held in the gym, girls up one side boys up the other. Right everybody take a partner, you have 2 minutes. Anybody who didn't have one would receive two of the best. During the course of the hour there were at least four of five of these moments resulting in 8 to 10 lashes for some kids. That was bang out of order.

The worst part of it was the injustice of some of the punishments. Don't get me wrong, we were often caught bang to rights and received what we deserved. On the other hand I reckon some 30% of the time it was on trumped up or fictitious charges. That left me with a strong feeling for what justice is.

Nobody was free from the beatings dished out by the teaching staff.

How about this one. Dance practice for the school Christmas dance. Held in the gym, girls up one side boys up the other. Right everybody take a partner, you have 2 minutes. Anybody who didn't have one would receive two of the best. During the course of the hour there were at least four of five of these moments resulting in 8 to 10 lashes for some kids. That was bang out of order.
Where TF did you go to school? Nothing like that ever happened at mine. Some teachers were more inclined than others to reach for the tawse, but I don’t remember any who seemed in any way enthusiastic about it. Our PE teachers mostly had more inventive methods of punishment, however, one occasion sticks in my mind, as a 4th year at 6ft tall, getting two lashes from a 5ft female PE teacher who was probably 8 years older than me but looked younger. It was more symbolic than anything, and without my cooperation she couldn’t have managed it.

Yokel

LE
Did you develop a taste for domineering petite women? What colour was her hair? Did she have glasses?

Being serious for a moment, it seems that the generation who put up with all that have been determined to press the "happiest days in your life" and "it was better in the old days" lines. Why?

Last edited:

Latest Threads