Bright ideas scheme.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by EX_STAB, Nov 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I seem to recall there is a scheme whereby if you have a bright idea the MoD pay you some money.

I further recall that the amount is more or less derisory irrespective of the savings or benefits of the "Bright idea"

I have a bright idea for an accessory for Skill at Arms training. It would be cheap, widely used and quite beneficial. A tame SAA instructor agrees with this assessment.

Is it worth looking at the scheme (does anyone have any details) or should I just go for it commercially and then try to offer it to MoD?
  2. There certainly is, the bright spark that looked up from his notebook in a dark meeting room somewhere and muttered, 'we could lay off that bunch of spine tinglingly workshy war dodgers and save a mint?' is now living in Monaco with a cocaine habit, gold shoes and the Elgin Marbles in a drawer in his ivory floored bedroom..
  3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

patent the thing and go outside the MOD or be prepared to be shafted and have someone else make all the money out oof your idea if its any good.
  4. Look up GEMS. There should be a poster in most units and a rep at either unit or garrison level. Any LAD/Wksp is a good place to start but it is not a REME only scheme.
  5. Surely he would have been, if his idea had worked?

As it is, he's probably just sat in his million pound, but distinctly non-ivoried flat somewhere in Kensington... either that or quietly got the sack for making Gordo look like a c0ck.
  6. I am inclined that way....
  7. Hmmmm.....
  8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Hmmmmmm indeed. I think that translates to hey thats a brillinant idea now bend over the desk whilst we Fuck you over.
  9. We had a guy ( Ron Aqualina........ RIP ) who invented a .22 gunnery simulator for Chieftain in the 70s ( The Aqualina bracket ) As I remember, it went into a high level of production and every Chieftain squadron in the RAC received one which in those days were quite a few.

If I remember rightly, despite the millions of quid involved, he was shafted with just a few grand.
    So I recon there is a message to be had there.

(If I'm wrong on this, I'm sure I'll be corrected shortly)
  10. I was told this at Wallop and I didn't even need to come up with a brilliant idea! :roll:
  11. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Shortly - it was a laser (Aqualight) to do away with that stupid .22 thingy.

PS he eventualy was awarded the MBE for his service to the gunnery gods.
  12. Patent your idea if it is a of global significance, otherwise copyright it and flog it to the MOD without giving them sole rights. I developed something in my last 4 years in the army which would have startlingly improved an aspect of their anti terrorist operations, but they didnt want to pay and told me that it was my duty to hand over all details to them. I refused and went on to earn a comfortable crust with my concept when I left the service.
  13. Thanks Elova. Ah yes I remember the laser thing coming in using the same bracket. The amount of money that must have been save on live ammo ( eg; Hesh ) must have been phenomenal.
    He deserved the MBE but a lot more besides.