Brigadier says more troops are likely to die.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Jul 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

The leader of the British army in Afghanistan has said more troops are likely to be killed in the battle against Taleban forces.

Brigadier Ed Butler was speaking after two British soldiers died during operations in Helmand province.

Let's hope that's not the case.Stay safe Lads.
  2. An actual link

Not having a pop at you Spike, but some people do trip over themselves when copying and pasting into the address bar.

This is not a very comforting prediction.
  3. Well it would not take a genius to work that one out
  4. If it is true that the Taleban are massed in Helmand then it was a rather obvious statement to make. I hope it isn't true but think otherwise
  5. I think you will find he said it for the specific reason of trying to take the sting out of future deaths.
  6. If the Taleban are known to be massed in Helmand, it would seem appropriate to increase the number of troops on the ground and air power.
  7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Would agree but from where and if so, what becomes the mission? Hearts and minds or blow them away mode?
  8. I don't think that's why he said it at all, actually.
  9. Oh really? And why else state the bleeding obvious and at the same time upset the families of the guys serving whose nerves are probably already in shreds anyway? Try explaining that to your kids. His comments were reported immediately on the BBC news last night. I suggest again he was seeking a larger audience. A British people who are mystified about what this deployment is all about. I normally applaud honesty where I find it, but this was unnecessary.
  10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Nae prob's death.I was been having finger trouble all day due to too much of the ol' black stuff the night before..Never AGAIN!!! :wink:
    (Left the pub after the match,got a curry chip on the way home.Scoffed it,still felt hungry & went down for another curry chip via the bar! 8O )
  11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Obvious to you and me, maybe but sometimes you need to make it obvious to the NOBs (No Obvious Brainers) in government who see an Armed Forces purely as an asset to getting them re-elected, not human beings with parents, spouses (spice?) and children.

I believe a baseball bat might be a useful method of communication.
  12. Care to share why you think he made this statement (other than the simple fact that he does think that?)

I suspect that the pervading influence of the MOD spin-doctors may be having an effect (albeit small and gradual) on the way that commanders are dealing with the press and the outside world.
  13. I'm surprised that there's not more members of Crab Air there.
  14. Don't get me wrong I have an enormous amount of respect for the Brigadier but this statement has more than a whiff of spin doctoring about it. Either that or he thinks it might help his request for reinforcements. I actually think the Govt are already getting nervous about the body count. By warning us of more deaths are they trying to soften the blow and the political fallout? I just get angry because nobody ever seems to think about the families. In my own experience some partners watch the news continually and obviously dread the knock at the door. I am sure these comments do not reassure them at all.
  15. I think its called "Expectation Management"!