Brigadier Jackson heads to Serco

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by daz, Nov 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. daz

daz LE

Brigadier Jolyon Jackson will join services outsourcing firm Serco as director of transformation in the new year, leaving his current position as the director of recruiting and training in the British Army, as reported by the Mirror.

This comes the month after reported that Serco was competing with Capita in the final stages of a recruitment process outsourcing (RPO) bid to manage army recruitment.

A Serco spokesperson reiterated to Recruiter a statement issued to the Mirror: “This process has been totally open and transparent and he will not be involved in Army recruitment should we win the contract.”

Jackson’s contract was signed in the summer, the spokesperson tells Recruiter.

Jackson told Recruiter in an interview published 18 August 2010 that after 30 years in the armed forces he was planning to leave later that year, saying “I’ll be looking for something rewarding and worthwhile to do.”

Appointments: Brigadier Jackson heads to Serco | News | Recruiter

Snout in the trough?? Surely it can't be right he can move across so swiftly to a firm that he had dealings with while at the MOD?
  2. Is anyone truly surprised?
  3. He'll not be the first or last to do it.
  4. Nothing new.... Senior Naval Officers retire to consult with Babcocks or BAe, RAF to Westlands or BAe and all sorts of people got very lucrative deals working for Atlas as part of DII.
  5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

And guess what?

Lots of people in the private sector leave one job to go to work for someone that they used to have dealings with. After all, would you rather employ someone purely on the basis of a CV and interview, or someone that you have built up a reasonable working relationship with over time?
  6. Well to be honest, after all the clusterfucks and half arsed contracts, I think they deserve him!
  7. My only surprise is Babcock didn't snaffle him, that's where most of the DGTE staff seem to end up.
  8. Not quite that straightforward. There's usually a 'do not contact for 'x' period of time' codecil installed in the proceedings, or at least that's been my experience in the commercial world. Stops folks from pinching others's clients on a straightaway basis. Perhaps your experiences are at variance?
  9. Or someone who you owe a favour...
    • Like Like x 1
  10. daz

daz LE

Most "agencies" stipulate 12 months of not working in the same field for their competitors for that very reason.
  11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Restrictive covenants exist but are usually negotiable. If they are too onerous they can be deemed a "restraint of trade" and can be overridden at court. They are usually tied into the relevant standing of the person (ie longer for more senior staff, and subject to remuneration by way of longer notice periods, or a salary that reflects the possibility of someone being kept out "gardening" for a while.

They also don't exist for the armed forces, to the best of my knowledge.
  12. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I think they exist for Civil Servants, but having seen so many military retire/resign recently and move straight in with QinetiQ I would have to agree that there don't appear to be restrictions on military personnel.
  13. They don't seem to exist for CS either in the MOD. since the pay freeze quite a number have been released on VERS or resigned only to reappear a few weeks later employed by the likes of Babcocks, BAe, Roll Royce etc on considerably better rates of pay and terms and conditions.
  14. It's not what you know it's who you know.
  15. ...perhaps he just made a good impression?