Brigadier Anthony Hunter-Choat Dies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by CptDanjou, Apr 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just heard Brigadier Anthony Hunter-Choat died Thursday 12th April 2012 .
  2. Very sad news. I worked for him in NI for a while; a first-class officer and a great bloke. RIP Tony.
  3. Several obvious errors in that socalled bio, starting with 7 Gurkhas, he served with 45 Regt RA in 28 Cwth Bde, doubtless 7 GR was one of the bns he was a fwd obsvr with in Borneo.
  4. He also wasn't commanding any unit in 1957, let alone a "major UK SF" one; around that time he would have been in the Foreign Legion, which he left in the rank of Sgt, I believe. I haven't seen him in decades, but I doubt he was much beyond his mid-70s. I was in Macedonia/Kosovo in 1999, but unaware that he was there, too; it would have been good to see him again. He impressed me as a modest, likeable and thoroughly decent man, as well as a fine soldier.
  5. Best BC I had. RIP.
  6. He was originally in 7 GR on a short-service commission but then got a regular commission in the RA:

7. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

i spoke to him on the telephone a few years ago when researching an article on the FFL . He was charming and very helpful.
  8. Saw him a while back in London he told a few good tales about his time with 1ere REP in Algeria R.I.P.
  9. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

soon be the 30th. He facilitated my attending the parade and meal afterwards . I joined but got kicked out for fiddling my medical , i blagged the eye test 3 times but on the 4th i was captured bang to rights as i only has ten percent vision in my right eye. Didn't stop me being a gunner in the re regs or in the slr shooting team for royal anglians ta. grin . my left eye compensated for the right .
  10. He was 2i/c 3 RHA in Hong Kong in 1974 - 75, cracking bloke...
  11. Met him when I was instructing on Ex Snow Queen in 1978, he was one of my students and an all round top bloke and not a bad skier either.