Brigade Reconnaissance Force - a new era of Formation Recce?

Brigade Reconnaissance Force

Regiments are now beginning training towards the new, enhanced role as a Brigade Reconnaissance Force which will see it combine its experience on vehicles with a high profile, exciting dismounted role which will keep it at the forefront of reconnaissance operations.

This will see the soldiers exploit their flexibility, intelligence, endurance and fieldcraft skills to the limit to continue to provide accurate information on the enemy to their commanders as it happens, always ready to respond as events unfold.

Why is the Cavalry Changing to dismounted roles...and is it going to be that much different?

The RAC recce units always had dismounted toops so nothing new there then

The_Duke

LE
alexreid said:
Tropper66 - as dashing as you are on that horse, I think you will find that you are mistaken.....

http://www.army.mod.uk/armoured/regiments/9545.aspx

should enlighten you into the change
Alex,

You should know by now that whatever anyone posts about, Tropper has done it bigger, better, higher, further, and with more gunshot wounds on cold winter's nights than any one else, only he did it in the 60's.

He has an amusing collection of poor quality photographs which he frequently posts, often without any rlevance to the thread in question.

he is, however, mostly harmless.

The_Duke said:
alexreid said:
Tropper66 - as dashing as you are on that horse, I think you will find that you are mistaken.....

http://www.army.mod.uk/armoured/regiments/9545.aspx

should enlighten you into the change
Alex,

You should know by now that whatever anyone posts about, Tropper has done it bigger, better, higher, further, and with more gunshot wounds on cold winter's nights than any one else, only he did it in the 60's.

He has an amusing collection of poor quality photographs which he frequently posts, often without any rlevance to the thread in question.

he is, however, mostly harmless.
:dance: Thanks Duke, I couldn´t have said it better myself!

disregarding the snide coments, I think if you read a couple of regimental historys of the recce regiments in the Western dessert and Italy you will see that armoured recce has changed very little, but it has speeded up because of modern technoligy, in fact the role hasn't realy changed since the day when light dragoons on horse back did recce "hundreds of miles behind enemy lines just as stated in that MOD blurb

So Smart arrse what the difference with this new concept and the old 1BR Corps Covering Force

The_Duke

LE
tropper66 said:
So Smart arrse what the difference with this new concept and the old 1BR Corps Covering Force
A very good question, which I would leave to the Recce types with lots of current operational experience to answer.

Perhaps you could try giving them the option to discuss it without instantly dismissing everything out of hand?

The_Duke said:
tropper66 said:
A very good question, which I would leave to the Recce types with lots of current operational experience to answer.

Perhaps you could try giving them the option to discuss it without instantly dismissing everything out of hand?
You dont read do you, where did i dismiss it,I said that the role of recce has never changed, and it hasn't but the technoligy has, and it is a hell of a lot more difficult now than ever before, because technoligy works both ways, but the role never changes, and there will always bw a need for dismounted recce troopers

The_Duke

LE
tropper66 said:
The_Duke said:
tropper66 said:

You dont read do you, where did i dismiss it,I said that the role of recce has never changed, and it hasn't but the technoligy has, and it is a hell of a lot more difficult now than ever before, because technoligy works both ways, but the role never changes, and there will always bw a need for dismounted recce troopers
Why don't you try reading the first post? It doesn't just say "new". It says "enhanced" and "exploit" - ie developing on that which already exists.

The BRF carry out a wide range of functions, and the web page is a good bit of marketing to make the role attractive to new applicants.

In fairness, Tropper responded the the original question 'Why is the Cavalry Changing to dismounted roles...and is it going to be that much different?' He correctly stated that there have always been dismounted roles in Fmn Recce.

My question is, what are the 'new' roles going to be? Or is it just a case of larger flexible groupings with essentially the same info-gathering and light strike taskings?..

CW

Quis Separabit
Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

CaptainWillard said:
In fairness, Tropper responded the the original question 'Why is the Cavalry Changing to dismounted roles...and is it going to be that much different?' He correctly stated that there have always been dismounted roles in Fmn Recce.

My question is, what are the 'new' roles going to be? Or is it just a case of larger flexible groupings with essentially the same info-gathering and light strike taskings?..

CW

Quis Separabit
Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum
And going back only a few years it was done at Div level as well, have we shrunk that much in 14 years.

elovabloke said:
CaptainWillard said:

CW

Quis Separabit
Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum
And going back only a few years it was done at Div level as well, have we shrunk that much in 14 years.
The one thing I really wanted to do was "Fire mission division" I bet that would have rocked my boat, and probably been tha last thing I ever did too