Brig Nicky Moffat in the Grauniad

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
AAhhh yes the good old WRAC - or "Warm Round And Cuddly" they were great! Clerks, cooks, drivers and coffeepots.

Women then knew their limits (see above) - great for troops morale, especially if you could get into the WRAC block!

Also the clerks worn knee length skirts and heels - just what the lecherous squaddie needs to keep morale up.

Sadly all this women's lib nonsense has destroyed a great British institution.

The WRAC may now be derided amongst serving officers. However, what is forgotten is that many of the women in the WRAC were filling demanding career appointments acorss the Army. Indeed, I believe Brig Gail Ramsey commanded Aldershot garrison. It is popular to mock the WRAC, but there were some highly competent women serving at that time.

AAhhh yes the good old WRAC - or "Warm Round And Cuddly" they were great! Clerks, cooks, drivers and coffeepots.

Women then knew their limits (see above) - great for troops morale, especially if you could get into the WRAC block!

Also the clerks worn knee length skirts and heels - just what the lecherous squaddie needs to keep morale up.

Sadly all this women's lib nonsense has destroyed a great British institution.
You didn't have to find the WRAC block. Just do a battalion pre tour NI training stint at Lydd. They used to send a party of them down to act as local women. Meet one in a Lydd village pub on a night off and get invited back to her B&B. Job's a good un. :)

No problems at all if she has the ability, but after a 30+ year career, you would expect her to be able to sort her beret out - what an abomination that is!

Editted to add, I note she has done only 26 years, so I will cut her some slack.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
IIRC she used to be rather attractive in her late 20s/early 30s.

So you haven't heard of the current CGS then?
Yes, I know he was Engineers - from what I remember I was told you had to be inf, armour, artillery or Engr to get that type of command (possibly AAC too). Since I was unlikely to ever make it high enough to be allowed to speak to someone that senior without being supervised I never really thought about it after I was told.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Not my part of ship of course, but wasn't there an Engineer called Herbert Kitchener? I seem to have read that he did quite well (apart from failing a late swimming test).

S

Screw_The_Nut

"Moffat believes there is "no better time to join the army" if you are a woman, though the statistics suggest women still need a lot of convincing. Women account for only 10% of the armed forces, and 8% of the army, despite changes that have made it easier for women to take maternity leave and career breaks. Moffat says the "new employment model" the MoD is devising should make things better still, though she accepts that she is guilty of "horrible gender stereotyping" when she explains why the armed forces may always be dominated by men."

Really? is this what the British Armed Forces really need? More of it's members being unavailable for duty due to kids, career breaks etc etc? Recruit for purpose, whatever happened to that idea?

Take the beret off, get her spreadeagled in badly fitted lingerie on a beige carpet, and you have one of those 'pad's wife', 'clunge next door'-type photos that are so beloved on Meridian's posts on the Lady Thread. Mmmmmm..............................