Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Brief Thoughts On Maps

Don't know if this sounds weird, but most of my travel ambitions are based on looking at maps and seeing the wonderful contours, colours of the different gradients etc.

I still imagine the Andes in shades of brown and purple. Is it just me?

Don't know if this sounds weird, but most of my travel ambitions are based on looking at maps and seeing the wonderful contours, colours of the different gradients etc.

I've managed a "Road Trip" around Europe with just a map. It's peasy.

I bloody do!!

Yes Lumps, its you.
How long at Hermitage exactly? You've contracted some horrible topoical disease.

Once walked on bearing across Kinder Scout for 1.2km in thick fog/wind/rain and walked straight onto the trig point I was aiming for. After some more cracking navigation, I came across a lost city bloke with all the gear and no idea, and I let him follow me down to the pub. He didn't stop for a pint thought. Woofter.

True story.

I walked the Coast to Coast the other year, in reverse, and thus into the prevailing wind and rain, and my greatest pleasure, after enjoying the yomp , was having to pay close attention to my 1:50,000 and my compass.

Sad, I know.

I had an Australian g/f once who had a mapatazi.

I love maps and not only use them but make them too and my trusty Garmin 62 Stc is an invaluable tool for that, given that in some of the places I work, there is no relief information available.

For the keen mapping anorak, it is now possible to download the entire stock of 1:50,000 Vietnam war era maps from the US military. It was free, but they are prolly charging for the maps now.

Whilst working in the Peruvian desert a couple of years ago I encountered a strange phenomena. I was mapping the clearance of an intended pipeline route and found that the accuracy of my GPS wandered around from 5 metres to 9 metres. This is a bit odd because it usually averages around 3 metres - which is generally good enough for UXO clearance although not for landmine clearance - and in that location there were no obstacles to the line of sight with the satellites.

Things became even stranger when I got the team to mark out a 1km x 4km box and divide it into 100m squares. The northern boundary which should have been 1000 metres from end to end was being logged by GPS as 1700 metres. So we brought in a Trimble DGPS and even using RTK it took 3 days of averaging out to get accurate fixes. I never did find out why.

There's only one...

photo.JPG

NIGs need not apply :)

I like maps, particulary old ones. I like comparing then and now. I have a link to a site with all the old ordnance survey ones online. Will post it when at my pc.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)